996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need a new clutch - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Need a new clutch - suggestions?

My 4 year old clutch / light weight flywheel install is on it's last legs. Clutch starts to slip as soon as boost comes on.

I want to go back to the dual mass flywheel for various reasons: 1) I'm ready to give up the noise of the LWFW. 2) I want more than 1/2 inch of clutch travel for easier modulation, 3) Except for 1 attempt, my wife hasn't driven my car since the current clutch & LWFW was installed 4 years ago and I want her to be able to drive it once in a while.

What are my choices? Is there a clutch with meaningful modulation room that uses a LWFW? I would be open to this, and endure the noise, if something was available. But I'm pretty set on going back to the dual mass FW.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike

Old 09-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have a triple carbon clutch.... noisy as well but very drivable...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Mark, Thanks for the reply. Drivable is #1. Where did you get it from? (and, again, who is Inga!?!)

Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
My UMW LWFW and clutch feels like stock, fwiw....you already have the flywheel, so why not try the UMW route. I defer to others to share the opinions. Me, its action feels the same as stock.

JB

Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
We can help drop us a line!!

You have a 2 basic options

Retain the stock flywheel dual mass and upgrade the clutch disc and the pressure plate to maintain stock feel and driveability.

The other option is to go to lightweight flywheel which will make the transmission main shaft rattle and make noise at idle with the clutch not engaged, ( AKA Ducati sound) If you run a conventional non spring loaded disc you will have some clutch chatter because you have removed the dampening from the dual mass stock versus the single mass lightweight flywheel.

Engagement will be the same on a 996TT becuase the clutch assisted regardless of whos unit you use.

If its a street car and you want the car not sound like there is a spoon stuck in a garbage disposal then leave the dual mass flywheel.
If you dont mind the noise and you are doing more track use then go with a single mass unit.

Personally we have tried and installed a ton of different brands of clutch components and the only ones we have found that worked for us were the ones made by Sachs.

Not to say I tried them all.. Just the ones that we have tried.

We run Sachs Components on our GT2 and it makes a ton of power and has been very relaible with NO problems what so ever.

Hope that helps shed some light on the topic.

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 09-16-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
My UMW LWFW and clutch feels like stock, fwiw....you already have the flywheel, so why not try the UMW route. I defer to others to share the opinions. Me, its action feels the same as stock.

JB
JB, I emailed Kevin and he was telling me a bit about his clutch. Which disks are you using? Keving mentioned there where 2 different options. How much modulation room do you have to feather the clutch?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Robert@Redline is infamous around these parts
Check out this thread...we can help.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=95972

Old 09-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
Mark, Thanks for the reply. Drivable is #1. Where did you get it from? (and, again, who is Inga!?!)
I have a triple carbon ATS ( from Todd K.)

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-16-2007, 11:46 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Zippy
Make certain you get a clutch that can hold your power.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
i have a sachs motorsport pressue plate with a gt2 disc runing the stock dual mass flywheel and i gotta say i barely feel any difference whatsoever in clutch pedal effort.
however this package handles upwards of 600hp easily (so im told), and feels way better than stock. no noise whatseover since dual mass flywheel is retained.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
AIRjordan, I'm assuming you got this from Todd K?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:27 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Mike,

I have the same clutch combination as AIRjordan and it holds my Proto 700 fine. So far, about 7,000 miles. Todd told me it will hold slightly over 700, but may not last long at that level - that was when I was going to do the P650. I changed my mind and went to 700, but had the clutch installed, so I am using it. It clamps solidly and holds in 1/4 mile runs, but you may want a slightly stronger PP with your GT700.

Last edited by John D; 09-16-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Is the GT2 disc sprung? How does it compare to the GT3RS(R?) disc that is commonly used these days?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:12 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
No, not sprung. From what I was told by TK, it is exactly like the stock 996tt disk, except it has a slightly more aggresive surface material.

Last edited by John D; 09-16-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:29 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by John D
No, not sprung. From what I was told by TK, it is exactly like the stock 996tt disk, except it has a slightly more aggresive surface material.
Wait, I'm confused now...isn't the stock disc sprung?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need a new clutch - suggestions?