996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SP Engineering Stage 1 with HKS Blowoff Valve Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 07:53 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I talked to TurboAlex and I'm gonna give this a go. I'll make some videos for you guys since my intake sound is way more prenounced with it open as is and the amount of air it sucks in. I think it'll be pretty exagerated on my car lol I think this will be pretty p1mp...

Old 05-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Weazel is infamous around these parts
Thanks Sharky!

Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
No probs man- thank YOU guys I figure it should be more pronounced coming out of one larger unit than the two smaller baileys...

Old 05-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Hmm... if the SSBOV works, that means the HKS Racing BOV will work as well... the picture is now clear... will be calling you soon, Alex... ha.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:32 PM
TURBOALEX is infamous around these parts
yes, it will, hee heeee
thanks

Old 05-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by TURBOALEX
yes, it will, hee heeee
thanks
Can't wait man... I should be able to do it this weekend

Old 05-07-2004, 08:31 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Sharky, can't wait to hear! This should be interesting!

Old 05-07-2004, 08:42 PM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
HKS SSBOV's aren't really the greatest out there. In fact, they rank very far down in terms of actual performance.

Some of the better BOV's are made by Tial or Blitz. I wonder if they could use one of those BOV's instead?

- KJ

Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Tial does not make one that will vent back into the intake. You also need to consider the size of BOV or CPV to accommodate the CFM needed to blow off. If not sufficient you will stall the turbo and tear it apart. It doesn't happen over night, but does in time.

Old 05-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by KJM3
HKS SSBOV's aren't really the greatest out there. In fact, they rank very far down in terms of actual performance.

Some of the better BOV's are made by Tial or Blitz. I wonder if they could use one of those BOV's instead?

- KJ

Tial makes a great bov, but they can not be routed back to intake.

As for HKS... I had both the SSBOV and Racing II on my 700+ Supra. In my experience, I think HKS makes great products, and the design of their SSBOV is awesome. It's got a dual valve setup - a small center valve for part throttle lifts, and larger one for WOT conditions. That's makes it very responsive. And because it's a pull-type, the higher you boost, the better it seals.

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
455rwhp, 505rwtq - Dynojet

Old 05-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by KJM3

- KJ
If HKS blowoff valves weren't that great, why would there be a nation wide backorder for them? Depending on what make and model car, you might get lucky and find it, but, call HKS and see what they say about the Universal SSQV? They'll tell you. We're waiting for ours to come in. We'll let everyone know.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Yeah man can't wait to give it a go

Old 05-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
OK. Finally a company that posts the octane requirement for their kit! SP will be first on my list when I pick up my car.

Does the intake make a huge performance difference? ...and why such and emphasis on carbon intakes, etc? Plastic or metal would be fine with me!

Old 05-08-2004, 03:01 AM
PLEASE IGNORE THE JAPANESE

What you're looking at in the Diagram 1 is that SSQV releases excess boost when there is a pressure alteration in chambers "A & B", not by the rate of boost pressure or vacuum in the line.(Diagram 2) This gurantess the fast response. The HKS SSQV incorporates a small primary valve and a larger secondary valve for better discharge capacity. (Diagram 3) Then the design of the blowoff valve with it's triple-fin port gives it the aggressive blow-off sound.

In our experience, HKS, GREDDY, BLITZ are all great blowoff valves. They all do their purpose. What I stated above is the function of the HKS SSQV. The reason why we use the HKS is due to the fact that the Greddy Type S, is too small and won't be able to handle the horsepower, the Greddy Type R, is too big and won't fit in the engine bay. The Blitz unit is too small for this type of power and would require 2 units. In this case scenario it won't fit either inside the engine bay. The HKS unit, compact, fits securely, and can handle the 996's horsepower.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:17 AM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
I'll go ahead and ask the question many of us are thinking, Could someone explain what a BOV is? Does this replace the diverter valves? If so is it less prone to honking or losing pressure?

thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SP Engineering Stage 1 with HKS Blowoff Valve Kit