996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Barber Motorsports Park (FUN FUN FUN)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Barber Motorsports Park (FUN FUN FUN)

And a CGT, F430 race car, another F430, SRT 10 Vipers, all kind of Z06's, couple of E46 M3 race cars. I have some videos I'll get up later, but that CGT exhaust sound is like something I cant explain.

I went down to birmingham (2.5 hrs) to watch for a day, and for anyone who doesnt know the track it is literally a roller coaster for your car. (click if you think I'm kidding) http://barbermotorsports.com/pdfs/Elevation.pdf . We got to stand track side, literally ten feet from cars going by with nothing but a knee wall, it was awesome!!!! There was some awesome competition in the top group with the F430 race car, CGT, and World Challenge Corvette. I got a lot of it on video. I stood around and recorded as many sessions as I could while talking with people and getting a parade lap ride and later a ride in a very fast TT 350Z. Just so happens that the corvette shop that was there and has done work on my vette had another customer who didnt like the track and stopped after his first session, he paid for the weekend but didnt care, he planned to go home on sunday and offered for me to take his spot on sunday. This meant I would have to go all the way home at the end of saturday's sessions, put my car on trailer and wake up long before the crack of dawn to get back in time for tech and drivers meeting, but for free track time (and lot of it with chin motorsports) I did it, was dog tired when I got home saturday night so I went straight to bed and got up at 4 a:m to put car on trailer and get back.

I knew that since it was my first time ever I would be put with an instructor in the slowest group, but if you saw the number of places this track can bite you in the butt, you'd understand why, blind turns EVERYWHERE, and at wide open throttle too. I got to drive a warmup session which became very unfruitful fast because there was no passing and most people out there were in the slow group and learning the track so we couldnt even take turns at speed, I'd crawl for a minute and let some gap develope and then take 2 or 3 turns at speed till I caught up with the pack. Did that for a few laps then pitted because my groups session was next. 1rst session, it became painfully obvious to me and my instructor that I was in the wrong group, I lapped many cars once every other lap (meaning nothing close to a clean lap), I kept PSM on (for the record, I'd put money walter couldnt drive this place faster with PSM on as opposed to off) and it cut power all over but I was still much faster than almost everyone else. Finally found a very good driver in a 996 GT3 and we were about even around the track taking turns riding each others bumper, made the slow session much worth it's while, we passed from 3 to five cars a lap and only with point by's which sometimes came fast but most only after 2 turns or so. But in the meantime, we battled back and forth for a while (so at this point I'm thinking, maybe this is the track that I couldnt keep up with the stock 997 GT3).

Well my instructor after that second session said I was more than ready to move up so he signed me up for solo, but first I had to move up to the next group and drive the "master" instructor around. I wasnt even trying to go fast be be smooth and passed 6 or 7 cars in 3 laps at which point he said I was ready for solo, but the head guy wouldnt allow them to put me in the next group which I was still prolly faster than everyone in it. so back to green I go, my instructor had such a great time he rode with me part of the third session as well and I pitted early to get ready for the last session which was open for any group and since it was sunday most people were leaving so I just might get some open track. My fastest non clean lap up until that point was a 1:44.6. The 430 was low 1:40's with an occasional 1:39, a World Challenge C5 Z06 and C6Z both with 454's replacing the 427's were 1:38's with some laps as fast as 1:36 (so much faster than everyone there) and the driver also has some Road Atlanta records with the built 427 he had previously (3150 lbs w/ driver). Most of the people in the fastest group were in the mid 1:40's and it was obvious to me that I could beat all but a couple even on my first day.

So the last session I went out and got me four "waiting for point by" free laps, logged three 1:42's and a 1:41 which is pretty good for first time at the track. I can get in the 1:30's next time out without a question. But barber is one AWESOME track, my second favorite at this point.

BUT!!!!!!! My temps were bad, I saw the coolant go over 180 for the first time, there are no long straights AT ALL, you might see 125 mph there and you are on the gas hard a lot, so it made the car hotter, has anyone else seen this???? My first time ever breaking 180 even with 103* temps at road atlanta three weeks prior.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Great writeup. I've heard that is an incredible track. Have to find time to go over there.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I forgot to mention both the F430 and CGT were on slicks and really going at it on sunday, it was a BLAST to watch, I got some clips uploading now.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:30 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Sounds fun! I definately had to take PSM off at Grattan or it would intrude. I didn't know they are making slicks for the Carrera GT yet? I guy a know would love some for his car for the track any info on where to get them?

Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by buddyg
Sounds fun! I definately had to take PSM off at Grattan or it would intrude. I didn't know they are making slicks for the Carrera GT yet? I guy a know would love some for his car for the track any info on where to get them?
they were michelins, I took some close up pics, I'll get them posted

Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Dez,

cool stuff, I also dream of driving there.
Is the black Corvette yours?
what the hell is that Ferrari thingamajig?
Oh, and I'll take your bet on Walter. LOL!

Marty

Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Dez,

cool stuff, I also dream of driving there.
Is the black Corvette yours?
what the hell is that Ferrari thingamajig?
Oh, and I'll take your bet on Walter. LOL!

Marty

No, the Z06 was my competition at the last Road Atlanta Time Trials I did. Quite a bit more mods, hp, and much less weight, and faster tires than my car, less than 1 sec. faster.

If Walter can beat his time at Barber with PSM, he's not driving the car hard enough with it off. PSM.

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-18-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
D,

Did you see a Meteor Grey 997 GT3 there ? Saw my neighbor leaving Friday night, with tape on the lights and fenders, assuming he went to Barber.

Bill

Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Bill in Atlanta
D,

Did you see a Meteor Grey 997 GT3 there ? Saw my neighbor leaving Friday night, with tape on the lights and fenders, assuming he went to Barber.

Bill

Yeah he was there, I forgot his name. We spoke shortly, met him at road atlanta a few months back.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
Hey Dez a little birdy told me you had a drive in Al's car last night.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Neil
Hey Dez a little birdy told me you had a drive in Al's car last night.

Yeah, probably the most Road Course usable 700 hp there can be in a street car. I'm having a hard time driving mine now because I keep thinking about the ride in his. Starting to consider hybrids, but 8k RPM in a TT may just be unstopable and those motor mounts make a HUGE difference too, you are making my mod list too long.

But anyways, here is the video from Barber.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...66365091&hl=en

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yeah, probably the most Road Course usable 700 hp there can be in a street car. I'm having a hard time driving mine now because I keep thinking about the ride in his. Starting to consider hybrids, but 8k RPM in a TT may just be unstopable and those motor mounts make a HUGE difference too, you are making my mod list too long.

But anyways, here is the video from Barber.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...66365091&hl=en
Dude I think you have your Motor mounts mixed up with your sub frame........

Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Dez,

If you are within 1 second of THAT z06, you are driving the s**t our of your car!!

Congrats!

MK

Old 09-18-2007, 05:11 PM
.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about
Chevy,

Were you in the silver turbo?

I came down for a couple hours that day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Barber Motorsports Park (FUN FUN FUN)