996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The world's first 10K GT2 Bumper Ever...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 PM
HKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really nice
SWEET LOOKIN ALEX

Old 05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
lcheng2 is infamous around these parts
Alex,
Looking good man! Glad you finally put it on.
By the way, how much clearance you have below the car's front lip? I have 5 inches I think you probably have like 4.5, right? Do you have any problem getting out of the drive way and gas station? I might want to lower my car a bit more.
Regarding your GT2 nose project, I am one of those who just replace the TT bumper with a GT2 one without any radiator modifications. According to the guy who did my car at Bydesign, they did exactly the same to their TT cab in the shoot out and it works fine. I hope he is right otherwise I will just replace my GT2 bumper with a Techart I don't want to go through all the hassle like you did.
Lawrence
03ttx50

Old 05-06-2004, 03:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Cheers Simon & Alex...

Old 05-06-2004, 03:06 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hi Lawrence,

Thanks man. I'm glad it's just finally done and works right... Wth regards to yours, I have a really good understanding of what is going on and I'm sorry to say that I don't think your solution is good in the long run... Basically the air behind your center radiator has nowhere to go/escape/vent... That's bad and means your radiator is (the center one) is useless. There really is no way for it to go under the car like it does on the TT because the bumper GT2 bumper blocks any ability to use the TT shroud. The By design cab was fine at the shoot out, I agree but the temps were low. A car with your high HP mods and throw in hot summer, I would be very nervous. Just watch that temp gauge I guess and/or better still do a tech art I would say... I've seen them on silver cars with GT2 wings and it looks nice.

I think I have about 3 inches of clearance. The lip scrapes but it's dispensable. I also have the GT3 cooling ducts and they scrape too. I just go slow and sideways gangster style as best I can...

PS Did you ever get that suspension?

Old 05-06-2004, 03:25 PM
lcheng2 is infamous around these parts
Alex,
Thanks a lot for your advice. I will watch the temp gauge everytime I wanna go fast.
I already got the PSS9 installed. I may lower it by anthoer 1/2 inch but I don't want 3 inches clearance that is gonna make daily driving a pain.
Lawrence
03ttx50

Old 05-06-2004, 04:08 PM
habitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nice
Is the techart frt bumper the same sh$t, or is it just a bolt on and go.....

Plus what is the price difference, is it easier just to do the Techart bumper.

But i don't like that the techart bumper is fiberglass, fiberglass is CRAP right.....

What do u think GT2 or Techart.........

Thanks

Last edited by habitat; 05-06-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Alex,

Car looks sick! Glad you took the time to do the install right, even though it was a PIA I'm sure you sleep better at night knowing it was done correctly

Next time you guys go out and play drop me a line. I'd love to join in

Old 05-06-2004, 05:36 PM
viperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud of
Alex,

There is a hose in your driveway close to your car. It must have been left there accidently by one of your neighbors...

Alex is correct that just putting on a GT2 bumper onto a standard TT front end does a couple of things. First, it will render your center radiator useless. The GT2 bumper totally blocks the airflow going under the car which is the way the TTs are designed to cool. Second, without the proper GT2 side radiator ducts installed, there is a sizable gap between the bumper inlets and the TT ducts. This means that air is not forced into the radiators and actually has a way around them and out the backside into the fenderwells. Again reducing the cooling capacity.

You can do a couple of things here to install the GT2 bumper, but not configure it to work 100% as a GT2 and yet still not dimish the cooling capacity 1) To get the center radiator to work you can cut the GT2 bumper underneath using the TT bumper as a guide to allow the factory underside TT ducting to still function. If you do this, there will be a gap now between the front of the radiator and the bumper so some custom fab work will be required (the standard TT front duct does not mate up with the GT2 nose). 2) Get the GT2 side radiator ducts. These are a little of $100 each but will allow full mating with the GT2 bumper.

The outcome on Alex's car is a fully functioning GT2 setup just like KPVs. Thanks for the tips BTW Ken. That radiator was a total PAIN to reconfigure...

Old 05-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Andrew708
Hey there .....All i have to say alex is that the car looks awesome,so enjoy it......i know it was a hassel,but the saga is over!!have fun..you need to come to the boca event!!!!

Last edited by DJ; 05-06-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:19 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Great job Sharkster, looks like a labor of luv!!!!

Old 05-06-2004, 08:24 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster
It's a flipping nightmare isn't it? At least you did it the right way though it sounds. How did you get the radiator hose clamps to work? Hopefully without pinching them...
I was not that close to the project. The people doing the tuning on the car handled all that for me. I just know they spent major time on it and I wrote major checks on it...

Old 05-06-2004, 08:57 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The TA piece is a much simpler bolt and go. The only issue is you are repairing the cracks every month. I have repaired and painted mine several times. If the car is lowered at all the bumper will take a beating. I just bought the Carbon splitter. I would love to put it on, but it will crash with the ground the minute I pull into my driveway. And I do not have a steep driveway. If I had to do it again I would go the GTII route. Personally cutting and fabricating a set of custom brackets is no biggy for me.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:14 PM
DMS
DMS is infamous around these parts
Alex, good to hear things turned out well, the photos were gorgeous it compliments that CF hood.

The project doesnt seem THAT bad in terms of work just really expensive. It sounds like all the parts were OEM ones and only some mild fabrication was required. What I'm trying to say is I've seen much much worse Nobody ever got into P-Cars thinking the parts would be cheap and easily available at least there wasnt a lot of cutting/grinding/welding and relocation of factory systems like A/C or power steering/oil cooler lines etc, etc

From the looks of the photos it was really worth it.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by lcheng2
Alex,
Thanks a lot for your advice. I will watch the temp gauge everytime I wanna go fast.
I already got the PSS9 installed. I may lower it by anthoer 1/2 inch but I don't want 3 inches clearance that is gonna make daily driving a pain.
Lawrence
03ttx50
I'm hoping that the temp gauge works better than the stock boost gauge btw It does make it a pain to drive being that low in that you always have to go sideways etc...

Old 05-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by habitat
Is the techart frt bumper the same sh$t, or is it just a bolt on and go.....

Plus what is the price difference, is it easier just to do the Techart bumper.

But i don't like that the techart bumper is fiberglass, fiberglass is CRAP right.....

What do u think GT2 or Techart.........

Thanks
The tech art is a bolt on and go scenario so it's much easier... If you do the GT2 just do it right or else you could have some nasty issues down the road

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The world's first 10K GT2 Bumper Ever...