996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The world's first 10K GT2 Bumper Ever...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Redlinerobert
Alex,

Car looks sick! Glad you took the time to do the install right, even though it was a PIA I'm sure you sleep better at night knowing it was done correctly

Next time you guys go out and play drop me a line. I'd love to join in
Thanks man!!! Coming from you and your super sick/slick car... A couple of times when I was done waiting for parts or just didn't have the right ones and/or couldn't figure out what to do, I did consider some rather radical things but I'm glad it was done right in the end.

We should go out and play! Besides your crew is all silver. Time for some black

Old 05-06-2004, 11:03 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by viperbob
Alex,

There is a hose in your driveway close to your car. It must have been left there accidently by one of your neighbors...
ROFL not that again I remember when we were under the front at the very end after starting the car a few times you said "Hey there's not supposed to be water dripping from here"....

PS Good luck with that body shop. Let me know how it turns out since I have a piece or two to get painted. Small

Old 05-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhD
The TA piece is a much simpler bolt and go. The only issue is you are repairing the cracks every month. I have repaired and painted mine several times. If the car is lowered at all the bumper will take a beating. I just bought the Carbon splitter. I would love to put it on, but it will crash with the ground the minute I pull into my driveway. And I do not have a steep driveway. If I had to do it again I would go the GTII route. Personally cutting and fabricating a set of custom brackets is no biggy for me.
Wow is it really that bad? I know Kevin really swayed me from geting anything in fiber glass for that reason. He just said, stay Porsche plastic... I've seen CJVs and Fred's car a lot and their bumpers are always so nice/clean looking. Maybe it's the silver?

Old 05-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by DMS
Alex, good to hear things turned out well, the photos were gorgeous it compliments that CF hood.

The project doesnt seem THAT bad in terms of work just really expensive. It sounds like all the parts were OEM ones and only some mild fabrication was required. What I'm trying to say is I've seen much much worse Nobody ever got into P-Cars thinking the parts would be cheap and easily available at least there wasnt a lot of cutting/grinding/welding and relocation of factory systems like A/C or power steering/oil cooler lines etc, etc

From the looks of the photos it was really worth it.
Thanks man. Trust me though it was a royal pain in the butt. The main thing was trial and error. It's funny though, I didn't even make it out of Bob's garage and I already scraped it lol...

Old 05-06-2004, 11:51 PM
DMS
DMS is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster
Thanks man. Trust me though it was a royal pain in the butt. The main thing was trial and error. It's funny though, I didn't even make it out of Bob's garage and I already scraped it lol...
yah so goes any custom fabrication work. It get expensive and trying in a big hurry. But the end result is theres something totally custom and only on your car...

I figured you were at Bob's place the cork floor was a dead giveaway

Old 05-07-2004, 12:19 AM
viperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud of
Originally posted by sharkster
It's funny though, I didn't even make it out of Bob's garage and I already scraped it lol...
I plan to stock GT2 lower spoiler lips for Sharky. I figure he is good for 2-3 per month. Since they are a wear item now on his car, I was thinking of installing a wear indicator with a light on the dash so he knew when if was time to change.....

Old 05-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by viperbob
I plan to stock GT2 lower spoiler lips for Sharky. I figure he is good for 2-3 per month. Since they are a wear item now on his car, I was thinking of installing a wear indicator with a light on the dash so he knew when if was time to change.....
ROFL yes indeed!!! I mean I had the brake pad wear sensors that I can't use on my brake kit so why not recycle I've set it to a minium of 5mm from the actual bumper.

I can't believe that some people have CF ones?!?!?!

Old 05-07-2004, 07:48 AM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
When I put the GT2 front end on my guy made the coolant tubes that come out on the drivers side firewall longer and that allowed the hoses to fit into the factory fittings without kinking. It was a PITA to modify everything but the results are great.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Wow Alex...that looks SO HOT!! Nice I'm sure to have it ALL behind you finally. Are you going to get the bumper clear bra'd?

Nice job! I so love your car!!

Old 05-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by RobynC
Wow Alex...that looks SO HOT!! Nice I'm sure to have it ALL behind you finally. Are you going to get the bumper clear bra'd?

Nice job! I so love your car!!
Thanks Robyn, we are going to have EVIL twins right?

I am glad it's behind me. Except that I keep losing the ghetto factor now... It really is a nasty pia to do and I do not recommend it to anyone.

I'd like to get it clear'd up sure. The paint job isn't perfect to begin with tho

Old 05-07-2004, 11:34 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
sharky, don't feel bad, I know of someone that had done the conversion "correctly" with a complete factory parts retro fit and it had taken a few months just to get parts, and a few months to retro fit by the time he was done it had taken nearly a year! this was all done by a master Porsche tech! One of the main problems were the AC lines and unavailable part numbers.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by oak
sharky, don't feel bad, I know of someone that had done the conversion "correctly" with a complete factory parts retro fit and it had taken a few months just to get parts, and a few months to retro fit by the time he was done it had taken nearly a year! this was all done by a master Porsche tech! One of the main problems were the AC lines and unavailable part numbers.
Heya Oak, nice to hear from ya And thanks for putting it in perspective for me then. Again, it's just further proof that it's not a fun project lol..