996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track events vs drag racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:30 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
John,

My thoughts are the exact same as Buddy's and keep in mind it is only a car for
gosh sakes!
I am going to get S-351 to the track next year so he can feel his GT2 at or near the
limit.

MK

Old 09-20-2007, 08:04 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
For what it's worth, I posted my explanation, but I have no interest in the drag strip, and am doing an HPDC tomorrow I'm a little worried about doing DEs (not sure I can afford a catastrophic mistake), but that's eventually the route I plan to take.

So I'd like more power (I'm still stock!) but I do plan to do X73 at some point... And don't see myself ever going beyond a 640hp kit, and that would just be for the thrill of being able to floor it and, well, have you seen that Spaceballs scene where they go to Ludicrous Speed? I want to see plaid, damnit!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Track events can be a real money pit. Hoosiers last my mechanic for 4 runs and then he tosses them. That's $250+ for a 20 minute run plus the entry fee. Knowing this I still couldn't resist and have a set waiting to go on.
The cool thing about turbos is they kind of do it all. Track capable, street legal, smoke the local supercharged GM/Ford yahoos.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by buddyg
My car has KW v3 coilovers, sways front and rear, upgraded brakes and was running Pilot Sport Cups tires.
Sounds like a deadly cocktail of track-mods!!!...add one cup of slip-angle and shake well..

Be good,
TomK

Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
pschhh...DE cost is nothing...start racing...thatll clench your sphincter when you see those bills...

Old 09-20-2007, 09:25 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Acropora
Track events can be a real money pit.
That what I also figured, a rich man's sport. Even though I'm certainly not rich, I keep doing it since it's fun and you learned a lot about your pride and joy as you have to do some crazy moves that you (legally) can't on the street. When you have a sports car, nothing is better than try to know/learn/experience the car and doing track events are the only way. But, it does hurts your wallet directly with entry fees, gas, etc. You also have to spend lots and lots of $$$ on wear and tear items like tires, suspension bushings, oil changes, brake pads, rotors, and many many others. It's the only major reason most people don't want to bother. Where drag racing basically all you do is press on the gas, go and wait for the time, you do that multiple times when you do DEs so it's a lot hard on the car. And, if you ended up in a wall, you're done (unless you have a track insurance with ridiculous payment plan).

Last edited by datax; 09-20-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I was burning a quarter of a tank of ten dollar a gallon MS109 per 20 minute session!

But it sure was fun!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:57 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
I get 6-8 mpg on regular 93!!

Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I agree: Going to the track and getting professional instruction will help your dd immenseley.

However, tracking is definately a rich mans sport. I looked into joining our local track, and it was $3K per year and $300 per month in fees. And with my schedule I would only be able to make it once a month. And of course I would need a dedicated track car like a Miata to abuse...I would only take my baby out maybe 3 times a year.

As it is, I will just wait until the next TX2K event in March.

I do practice driving the lines at s few "safe" spots close to were I live, however.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yeah, that's what I said, I was lucky to go off on one of the slowest parts of the track. But you have to take a couple things into consideration.

#1 The length of the track, length of straights (they help brake cooling). I was on hoosiers on a very short track (1.5 miles), one that has boiled brakes on corvettes, vipers, cup cars and all other kinds of cars (of course I didnt know this until afterwards), some tracks are just VERY hard on brakes and it's easy to ask around and find out if the one you are going to is one of them. I was on the brakes hard 4 times a lap, and no way to cool them off.

#2 The speed at which you are going, because our cars are heavy, if yo uare going to track and are a fast driver ( I was faster than anyone there by 2 seconds, which is pretty big on a track that short) then you will stress parts of the car more than the average driver, and I can assure you you'll have a harder time on street tires and not going so fast on a more friendly track. I have stop repeatedly at Road Atlanta from 160+ down to 45 and never had a problem, it all depends on the track.

VERY VERY VERY VERY valid points...My brakes at Jefferson Circuit (SMALLL *** course as a side of summit) were starting to cook out while at places like VIR and such, which technically have much harder braking zones, didnt go NEAR even cooking a piece of chicken...

Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buddyg
I was burning a quarter of a tank of ten dollar a gallon MS109 per 20 minute session!

But it sure was fun!

Ditto Buddy, When I done Spa a few months back I filled the tank 7 times over a 2 day period at the track, roughly $750 US

Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 PM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
you all are missing out not tracking your turbos... I've had so much fun tracking my car on many many events, and only wish I did more

Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
One thing we are forgetting is that the original poster wondered why guys were building high hp drag cars as opposed to road racing cars. And the fact is that you can build a road racing TT for a lot cheaper than a 9 or 10 second one. Some of these guys have 100k in the car, and then go to the strip and burn through clutches and rear ends like nobodies business, let's not forget that. With a TT + 100k you could build a great car and road race for a few years, and have track insurance to boot. So given the choice, I'll take the twisties please.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't heard anyone mention the massive advantage that fat, sticky tires add to the equation. I had the JIC/Cross suspension on for a couple of years before adding the 245/40/18 & 335/30/18 RA1's. (Thanks to Sharky's reccomendation). My car ran nice and flat with the stock tires, but tended to get a little sideways everyday while driving to, and returning home from work. The addition of the RA1's to the equation made a MASSIVE difference. I can only equate it to a 200HP improvement. I will never use another tire again.

I've only done road courses, never been to a drag event.

Last edited by Zippy; 09-21-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:41 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
If and when you do a track event track tires are a must. I mean for your first time out try the street tires but you will be amazed at how badly they will slide around. If you have a stock suspension you will be amazed at how badly your car goes around the corners too!

I used Michelin Pilot Sport Cups but I think next time I will try the Hoosier R6 as I was spinning all four Cups out of several corners!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track events vs drag racing