996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track events vs drag racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
All I can say .....

There is no feeling like coming out of a corner at a 100mph + and the car is on the edge. The tires fighting for adhesion.. The car gently sliding as you control it with your right foot.. Power down as you accelerate on to the straight..

Those of you who have experianced this know what I am talking about it. Those of you who have not ,, Once you do, you will be addicted for life..

And dont think that there isnt any drag racing in road racing.. Its just done in a different manner.

Thats the beauty of World Challenge -- Standing Starts.. Drag Race to the first corner..!!! LOLOL

GOOD TIMES!!!

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 09-21-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
i have to wear a fake mullet when I drag race. Hence I gave up

Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I just saw this quote recently:

"Doing a track event is like drag racing except you get to do it for 20 minutes at a time instead of one pass."

Very true the twisites just connect to the drag strips! Grattan has a 3200ft front stretch so I was dragging all the way down!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
At Brainerd we currently drive over the Dragstrip EVERY LAP! So instead of letting
off at 140, I let off at about 168-170 mph.

MK

Old 09-21-2007, 11:52 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sharkster
i have to wear a fake mullet when I drag race. Hence I gave up
Seriously, I feel like I don't fit in whenever I go to 1/4 mile because it's worst in Virginia (state of "hey, it's all relatives").

Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I would like to try some day.... I need to go with Chris or some of the other local guys who track their cars :-)

Old 09-21-2007, 07:26 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Considering the economics of it, a weekend HPDE costs about $250, and you get usually about 8-10 20 minute sessions on track. That is about 3 hours of all-out no speedlimit driving. You can literally compete against 20+ cars and pick off as many as you can manage. How long would it take you to get to run against 20 cars on the street? Here is a vid with me picking off a Gt3 and a Gt2, as well as a few Boxsters:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31244060&hl=en

BTW, just dragging these cars is like having a freaky hot exotic dancer GF and only doing it missionary every time.

Last edited by eclou; 09-21-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:16 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Great analogy :-)

Old 09-21-2007, 09:33 PM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou

BTW, just dragging these cars is like having a freaky hot exotic dancer GF and only doing it missionary every time.
Handjobs=drag

Old 09-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Eclou,

Texas World Speedway....now that is my kind of track! My GT2 could really stretch her legs there....easily get up past 150....MSR, the other track close by is like a freakin go cart track....I could barely get into tripple digits there on the longest stretch before I would have to brake,,,,and then it was a bunch of turns....I could barely get into 3rd gear.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:48 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Considering the economics of it, a weekend HPDE costs about $250, and you get usually about 8-10 20 minute sessions on track. That is about 3 hours of all-out no speedlimit driving. You can literally compete against 20+ cars and pick off as many as you can manage. How long would it take you to get to run against 20 cars on the street? Here is a vid with me picking off a Gt3 and a Gt2, as well as a few Boxsters:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31244060&hl=en

Nice work!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:13 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Eclou,

Texas World Speedway....now that is my kind of track! My GT2 could really stretch her legs there....easily get up past 150....MSR, the other track close by is like a freakin go cart track....I could barely get into tripple digits there on the longest stretch before I would have to brake,,,,and then it was a bunch of turns....I could barely get into 3rd gear.

Jitsu,

I find slower tracks frustrating - almost like an auto-x. TWS is a blessing since it has very high speed sections as well as challenging turns. I am hitting 165mph on the front straight of TWS before turning into #1. I brake and downshift before turning as I am too chicken to pour it into #1 at that speed. Alot of racers will keep the pedal to the floor until turn #2, which is a real sphincter clincher of a ride. On the back straight I am hitting 130mph, which is 25 mph faster than my 951 track car. Yours would be sickeningly fast out there!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
In my area, the import scene has absolutely flooded the drag strips and getting in more than one or two runs, unless you do a rental of the track with a group, is just zero fun. COuple that with the fact that I don't particularly care to drag race, and the fact that I can have a weekend getaway when I do a 2-3 day weekend event, I love track days...

You get to LEARN the physics behind mass in motion, become a far better driver, and get to hit some pretty damned impressive speeds for up to 30 minutes at a time... Threshold braking, corner entry and exit, making those clean runs on other cars is just amazing.

Drag racing is a lot more social, and some of the people it attracts, and the levels of violence (At least in my area) at these drag events, just makes it no fun... Or maybe I'm just getting old...

I think it's a crime to have such impressive cars and never take them to a road course...

Mike

Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Jitsu,

I find slower tracks frustrating - almost like an auto-x. TWS is a blessing since it has very high speed sections as well as challenging turns. I am hitting 165mph on the front straight of TWS before turning into #1. I brake and downshift before turning as I am too chicken to pour it into #1 at that speed. Alot of racers will keep the pedal to the floor until turn #2, which is a real sphincter clincher of a ride. On the back straight I am hitting 130mph, which is 25 mph faster than my 951 track car. Yours would be sickeningly fast out there!
Eugene
When is the next time you are going out?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
In my area, the import scene has absolutely flooded the drag strips and getting in more than one or two runs, unless you do a rental of the track with a group, is just zero fun. COuple that with the fact that I don't particularly care to drag race, and the fact that I can have a weekend getaway when I do a 2-3 day weekend event, I love track days...

You get to LEARN the physics behind mass in motion, become a far better driver, and get to hit some pretty damned impressive speeds for up to 30 minutes at a time... Threshold braking, corner entry and exit, making those clean runs on other cars is just amazing.

Drag racing is a lot more social, and some of the people it attracts, and the levels of violence (At least in my area) at these drag events, just makes it no fun... Or maybe I'm just getting old...

I think it's a crime to have such impressive cars and never take them to a road course...

Mike

+1 I agree................

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track events vs drag racing