996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Too much Black or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 01:54 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Too much Black or not?

A friend of mine just bought a 2004 Black TT, and has come to me for my suggestion on rims. I told him that a 5 spoke anodized black wheel like on my GT2 (HRE Or I forged) would look fantastic on his car. The 5 spokes allow more visibility of the brake caliber, and rotors, breaking the wheel up, orver the mesh type ones.

Do you think black wheels on a black car would be too much black, and also most importantly, being a black car, would the dull anodized/powdercoated wheel look like it does not match with the shiny black body?

I personall think that z06 someone posted with this exact setup looked fantastic. What is your opinion on this setup for a black TT?

Ryan

Old 05-07-2004, 01:57 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
honestly speaking, black/black will loook too hardcore and I personally don't like it. Black with silver wheels looks fantastic

Old 05-07-2004, 02:00 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
I'm going the same route ... ordering some HRE 547Rs with black painted centers. On a black car I would highly recommend plain old painted black centers. The dull finish of anodized doesn't really match. Here's a link with a bunch of pics. I think it looks insanely wicked:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l&pagenumber=1

Old 05-07-2004, 02:30 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
I have a black 996tt with black anodized wheel centers and polished aluminum rim halves (Fikse Profil 10's). Pretty much everyone that has seen my car (both car people and others) thinks it looks fantastic. So no, black on black with a little break from the polished aluminum rims is not too much in my estimation.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:32 PM
That's interesting. Every black car I've seen with black anodized or black powercoated centers looks "odd". The dull finish of the wheels just doesn't seem to match the shiny black paint on the car. Have any pics you can post?

Old 05-07-2004, 02:33 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Heya Shank,

I thought long and hard about this for the shootout... My car inside and out is black.. even the windows. I decided to do gunmetal annodized instead... Do I regret it? Sometimes but for the most part I think it makes the car look more "elegant" than dare I say "boy racer". I love black wheels on a black car and it sure makes it easy to clean lol but I think it would have been a bit much on my car. Stephen was for it and Kevin was against it and I was on the fence...

Old 05-07-2004, 07:10 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
I just thought this looks hot

Old 05-07-2004, 07:17 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Too much Black or not?

Originally posted by ShankGT2

Do you think black wheels on a black car would be too much black, and also most importantly, being a black car, would the dull anodized/powdercoated wheel look like it does not match with the shiny black body?
You can never go too much black, as long as the wheels aren't bling gloss balck...

Old 05-07-2004, 09:11 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I personally do not like black wheels on a black car...nice to have contrast...

Old 05-07-2004, 09:17 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Love the black centers and polished lips. Wanted that for my E55 and the wife said no, so brushed aluminum it is. (She can't say anything about my TT so I listen when she talks about the E55).

Old 05-07-2004, 09:21 PM
DrJim is infamous around these parts
I think the big polished lip is the key on the Z06. I agree with those that said all black isn't the way to go.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:18 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
I have to disagree with all of you all black haters!

I think that was one of my best decisions. As someone mentioned before, you can never have too much black. Black centers with a polished lip look fantastic! Pictures will never do it justice...you have to see it in person (I know).

I have Black/Black/Black (exterior, interior and wheels/polished lips) and receive compliments all the time on the wheels. There's something about a nice polished lip, black centers and bright red calipers gleaming from behind. When the car is in motion...forget it...even better.

Polished black (same as painted) is my favorite as it matches the exterior paint better than the matted/dull finish. My pics suck...but Peter (wheel experts) has a perfect example of painted black centers/polished lip (HRE 547) on a black TT.

Go for it...it will look very aggressive...and who says "too hardcore" is bad?!?!?

Old 05-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
black, black, polish lip is definitely the hottest combo IMHO, esp right now. obviously you know what i think

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 05-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Parker is infamous around these parts
Love it. Very much ***** to the wall hardcore. Awesome. Do it with TA formulas!!!

Old 05-08-2004, 01:24 AM

Enough said ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too much Black or not?