996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Range 2 Over-revs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
My personal experience, based on before and after Durametric scans, says range/type 2s can happen from acceleration. Prove that wrong.

Jeff
Dude, whether you want to believe it or not, you're wrong. I'm tired of members on this forum spouting out misinfomation as gospel, then claiming that you have to prove them wrong. Plain and simple, type 2's are over revs during a mis-shift or down shifting into the wrong gear, those can be fatal. Type 1's are during acceleration and hitting the rev limiter which are lot less damaging. Now, why don't you prove us wrong.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:16 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Dude, whether you want to believe it or not, you're wrong. I'm tired of members on this forum spouting out misinfomation as gospel, then claiming that you have to prove them wrong. Plain and simple, type 2's are over revs during a mis-shift or down shifting into the wrong gear, those can be fatal. Type 1's are during acceleration and hitting the rev limiter which are lot less damaging. Now, why don't you prove us wrong.
I think midnight made his case quite well in previous threads. It was also agreed to by multiple tuners that you can create type 2s without missing a shift...so perhaps it is you with the misinformation

Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I think midnight made his case quite well in previous threads. It was also agreed to by multiple tuners that you can create type 2s without missing a shift...so perhaps it is you with the misinformation
Yes, you can also create a type 2 by downshifting into the wrong gear. But as far as I know and have been told by trusted mechanics, tuners, race car drivers and race crew chiefs, a type 2 is not associated with an upshift that bounces of off the rev limiter, period. Listen more talk less, you might learn something.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:38 AM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
Dude, whether you want to believe it or not, you're wrong. I'm tired of members on this forum spouting out misinfomation as gospel, [snip] .
Yeah, me too. The irony of your post is overwhelming.

Jeff

Old 09-22-2007, 09:51 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Listen more talk less, you might learn something.
You should take your own advice...You may find you are wrong...

Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Dude, whether you want to believe it or not, you're wrong. I'm tired of members on this forum spouting out misinfomation as gospel,
I've followed the type two discussion for a while- and midnight certainly has proven that in his case, hitting the rev limiter resulted in the DME capturing type2 faults. (Unless you want to declare him a liar.)

**I** am tired of people taking what Porsche says is 'true' as gospel, and accepting their explanations as fact- given the fact that we haven't a clue at the algorithm nor software that captures this data. Porsche may truly believe it to be true, but I for one would love to look at their software validations and cross examine their software engineers on this stuff.

I wonder if this 'fact' eminates from one 'lie' (ie Porsche) and now we have hundreds of people all being considered 'truth speakers' ("old by trusted mechanics, tuners, race car drivers and race crew chiefs").

But I'm just a cynic...

A

Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by ard
I've followed the type two discussion for a while- and midnight certainly has proven that in his case, hitting the rev limiter resulted in the DME capturing type2 faults. (Unless you want to declare him a liar.)

**I** am tired of people taking what Porsche says is 'true' as gospel, and accepting their explanations as fact- given the fact that we haven't a clue at the algorithm nor software that captures this data. Porsche may truly believe it to be true, but I for one would love to look at their software validations and cross examine their software engineers on this stuff.

I wonder if this 'fact' eminates from one 'lie' (ie Porsche) and now we have hundreds of people all being considered 'truth speakers' ("old by trusted mechanics, tuners, race car drivers and race crew chiefs").

But I'm just a cynic...

A
I'm not calling him a liar, but I wasn't there when he caused this over rev. So as far as I know, I'm not sure what happened. If you believe that a type 2 can be triggered by bouncing off the rev limiter during an up shift, then so be it. I have a good question for you. If bouncing off the rev limiter during acceleration is not a type 1 over rev, then what is? I believe he stated that he lost traction and it bounced off the rev limiter, although that is slightly different than the upshift redline rev limiter type over rev. I wouldn't know why that would trigger a type 2, but he reports that it did.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 09-22-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 AM
sttjmk is infamous around these parts
Does anyone have any factory info or experience that describes "Type 1, Type 2" and "Range 1, Range 2"? Early in this thread, both sets of terms were used. Are these synonyms? Or, does the chip actually capture over-rev events by the level of RPM's AND by the type of event that caused it?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:11 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I just got back from clearing my codes, and checked my overrevs:
Number of ignitions range 1 8247 / 962h
Number of ignitions range 2 707 / 957h
Operating hours counter 964
It had 21 Type 2's when I bought the car last year, and I have never missed a shift (missed a shift up once at the strip and went into 5th doesn't count). Type 2 can be caused by hard shifting, or bouncing off the limiter when tires lose traction. The only difference between a Type 1 and 2 is the RPM that it happens at. This has been thoroughly discussed before 9Eleven, do a search - you are incorrect.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by jimmer23
I just got back from clearing my codes, and checked my overrevs:
Number of ignitions range 1 8247 / 962h
Number of ignitions range 2 707 / 957h
Operating hours counter 964
It had 21 Type 2's when I bought the car last year, and I have never missed a shift (missed a shift up once at the strip and went into 5th doesn't count). Type 2 can be caused by hard shifting, or bouncing off the limiter when tires lose traction. The only difference between a Type 1 and 2 is the RPM that it happens at. This has been thoroughly discussed before 9Eleven, do a search - you are incorrect.
If you hit the rev limiter aren't you at the same rpm every time? How would the rpm vary? The only time I could see the rpm changing is when you down shift into the wrong gear or mis shift and are not in any gear and the rpms go through the roof.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:55 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
The rev limiter is not a hard mechanical stop - it is an electronic deterrant if anything (cuts spark). Believe me, hit it hard enough (i.e. accelerating hard enough), and you will go through it.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Jimmer is correct AFAIK.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by jimmer23
The rev limiter is not a hard mechanical stop - it is an electronic deterrant if anything (cuts spark). Believe me, hit it hard enough (i.e. accelerating hard enough), and you will go through it.
I believe it cuts fuel or there is a clutch release. I don't think spark has anything to do with it. Once again I ask, how can the rpm vary on an upshift when the rev limiter is designed to cut fuel or disengage the clutch when you go over the redline?

The only time I see a variance is when you downshift into the wrong gear or miss the gear entirely, engage the clutch and throttle back on in neutral. In that case the rev limiter cannot react in time to intervene; consequently you can sustain severe damage. I will also ask, if bouncing off the rev limiter upshifting is not a type 1 over rev, then what is?

Just a foot note, I went by Atspeed motorsports on Thursday. They had a 997 Gt3rs on the lift. It was getting a new clutch. The reason? Missed downshift. They estimate that the engine rpm's hit over 10k when the clutch blew. He was lucky, the clutch saved his engine.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 09-22-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just stating fact. Even if spark + fuel is cut (there is no "mechanical clutch") via the electronic limiter, you can still be accelerating hard at the time and go well past it. The clutch never is disengaged, so the engine RPM will still be rising at the limiter due to the wheels turning (all the boost in there helps). Physics is a *****.