996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Reducing Understeer at the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:11 PM
live2shift is infamous around these parts
Reducing Understeer at the track

I have been improving my skills at several DE events and I am starting to find a limitation with my 02 996TT at the limits. I am getting understeer plowing. I am running Bilstein PSS9's set at 1R & 2F, H&R Sway bars set to firm in rear, and med in front, and Michelin Pilot Cups inflated at 34F and 40R when hot as per the Michelin recomendations. The tires when warmed up seem very grippy and predictable, but I am still fighting the understeer. Any ideas as to what to try next??

Old 09-22-2007, 10:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Is the rear sway full stiff in the back? if not, do so. A good corner balance, maybe full soft on the front sway, front downforce will help, not sure how much the aero front lip spoiler provides. Also go to a more aggresive front camber, like 2.5 or more. I dont know the PSS9 settings but stiffer in rear and a tad softer in front helps me.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:24 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Put the front sway bar to the softest.

More negative front camber.

34F and 40R hot might be Michelins recommendation but it is too much, try less.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:29 AM
I will try a softer front roll bar setting. Kaizu, you mentioned less tire pressure. I did notice that with the MP cups that if they went a few pounds over the reccomended max they got slippery when hot. SHould I drop the tire pressure in the fronts or rears??

Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Both if you want more grip

Something like 2.2 bar front, 2.5 bar rear (is (32F / 36F, when HOT) gives you more grip with the Pilot Cups. Some might go even a bit lower.

The front roll bar setting might be crucial to your understeer, it should be on the softest setting. You might have an oversteering car after these adjustments so then start softening the rear roll bar.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:40 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
You can also add power to the car.

You are on the right track.

MK

Old 09-23-2007, 08:57 AM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
I noticed when on throttle in sharp turns the rear weght bias does unduce a push feeling. Try to do the earlier suggestions and be meticulous with throttle modulation in the turns and then roll on through trackout. If your car is chipped powering out of turns or down straight is not your problem. You could also try to reduce wieght with seats etc. These cars are heavy. The front soft bar, tire pressure, and aggressive alignment should help. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Wider front track with spacers (but I Hate spacers), more weight up front, less weight rear.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
More negative camber in the front helps.
Joe

Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Boulder GT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kaizu
Both if you want more grip

Something like 2.2 bar front, 2.5 bar rear (is (32F / 36F, when HOT) gives you more grip with the Pilot Cups. Some might go even a bit lower.

The front roll bar setting might be crucial to your understeer, it should be on the softest setting. You might have an oversteering car after these adjustments so then start softening the rear roll bar.

Hope this helps.
What he said, I think your TP's are too high for MPSC's. I'm 34/36PSI and I'm looking for 160 degrees or so even across the tread.

Trail brake the snot out of it too.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
If you really think you have maxed out the potential of your current setup (which is highly unlikely but plausable), then you need to invest in a REAL suspension from the likes of JRZ, MOTON or PENSKE. When I was at Pocono today, I had a similar problem and adjusted the rebound in the front down so it kicked back around track out and added more compression in the rear to slide it out a bit...it worked wonderfully. That said, understeer is very general term for the problem...WHERE are you understeering? Is it upon entry to the corner (turn in) or apex power application? Depending on where you feel it, you should adjust different things...as for MPSC temps...****...I run better times on higher temps with MY suspension setup...so I wont mention them...

You CAN have a neutral TT btw...

Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Good tips, all! As far as to where am I seeing the indersteer. I am not having the problem on High speed turns. At Louden (New Hampshire International Speedway) in turn(s) 2 it is a slower speed fast - right then left, type 1 turn onto the short straight. The car engages PSM coming off the apex. Maybe I shoule be putting on more power?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:51 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Understeer Corrections

Push, plowing, front tires slide out first.

Usually slight understeer is safer.

Raise front tire pressure.

Lower rear tire pressure.

Soften front shocks. Stiffen Bump.

Stiffen rear shocks.

Lower front end.

Raise rear end.

Widen front track.

Install shorter front tires.

Install taller rear tires.

Install wider front tires.

Install narrower rear tires.

Soften front sway bar.

Stiffen rear sway bar.

More front toe out.

Reduce rear toe in slightly.

Increase front negative camber.

Increase positive caster.

Soften front springs.

Stiffen rear springs.

May need more front suspension travel.

Install wider front wheels.

Use softer front compound if possible.

Use harder rear compound if possible.

Remove weight from front of vehicle.

Add weight to rear of vehicle.

Drive a different line.

Use weight transfer to your advantage.

High Speed. Increase front wing downforce.

Too much front brake.

Vehicle is TWITCHY at limit and hard to keep

ahead of in the steering department.

Lower front and rear tire pressures slightly.

Suspension may be too stiff.

Shocks may be set too firm.

Tires may be old or hard.

Vehicle may not have enough suspension travel.

Vehicle may have a toe problem front or rear.

Increase negative camber front and rear if possible.

A properly set up vehicle will usually push slightly on corner entry, be fairly neutral at the apex (STEADY STATE) and exhibit slight power oversteer on corner exit. Tight courses may require more oversteer, fast tracks understeer.

Items needed: Accurate tire pyrometer, tire gauge, notebook and tape measure. Suspension information books.

Note: This is a sample of the methods used to correct various handling problems. Books have been written on this subject. Not every correction will always work as expected. Stiffer front sway bars will, in many cases, decrease understeer because of reduced body roll and better camber control. The best rule is to change only one thing at a time and keep notes.

Follow these suggestions at your own risk, RKR listed them to make your racing safer.

Last edited by cjv; 09-24-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by live2shift
Good tips, all! As far as to where am I seeing the indersteer. I am not having the problem on High speed turns. At Louden (New Hampshire International Speedway) in turn(s) 2 it is a slower speed fast - right then left, type 1 turn onto the short straight. The car engages PSM coming off the apex. Maybe I shoule be putting on more power?
I agree with what has been said plus turn off PSM and install a real coilover system like KW v3.

Good luck great to see you on the track!