996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

in the market for 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 PM
xcusemi is infamous around these parts
in the market for 996

Hello all:

I am in the market for the 996 and would like to get some suggestion form the you guys. I was wondering whether there is a big different in term of power between the 3.4 and 3.6? I know there are only 20-30 hrs different, but I just want to know in term of the feel?

Since I am very new to 911, I want to know if there anything I should be looking for before purchase the car? Any known problems that should or need to be addressed?

Thank you very much in advance.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 AM
DaveMo is infamous around these partsDaveMo is infamous around these parts
The larger engine went in in 2002. But that wasn't the only change. There were a number of improvements to the car......

From the sales '02 brochure: ...headlight system derived from the 911 Turbo. More discreet is the careful reshaping of the front and rear fenders, bumpers and air dam. The result is 25% less lift in the front and 40% less lift at the rear for improved high speed stability.... Reinforcements to the body structure have resulted in a 25% increase in torsional rigidity for crisper response and enhanced agility. The standard 17" wheels weigh almost eight pounds less than the previous design, while the optional 18" wheels are lighter by over 24 pounds. The front air ducts have been reshaped to increase the flow of cooling air to the radiators by 15%"

You also get 20 more HP, a glove box, better cup holders and a glass rear window in the cab. I test drove a number of cars and spent a few $$ more for an '02. You could definitely tell the difference when you drive them back to back. If this is your first Porsche, make sure you look at all of the options on the car. There is very little that comes stock. Almost everything that you would want on the car is an option. Don't rush. I spent 4 months looking for my first P-Car and 3 months looking for my current car.

Last edited by DaveMo; 10-11-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: More info...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 AM
sfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DaveMo
The larger engine went in in 2002. But that wasn't the only change. There were a number of improvements to the car......

You also get 20 more HP, a glove box, better cup holders and a glass rear window in the cab. I test drove a number of cars and spent a few $$ more for an '02. You could definitely tell the difference when you drive them back to back. If this is your first Porsche, make sure you look at all of the options on the car. There is very little that comes stock. Almost everything that you would want on the car is an option. Don't rush. I spent 4 months looking for my first P-Car and 3 months looking for my current car.
I second that emotion. I drove several cars before buying a Boxster S, and a ton more before the 03 996. The change in 02 is noticeable over the 99 and 00. No, they don't feel as "pure" as some early P-cars, but if you want reliability and comfort with your speed, the later models are the way to go.

YMMV, of course.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
not much performance diff between the two in the 0-60, but youll notice a bigger diff in 0-100 and 0-120 times because of variocam plus and the 3.6.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Thank you for taking your time to reply to my post. I would like to get your expert opinion on the price of a fairly clean 2001 Convertible with approximately 35000 miles. How much should I pay for this car?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 AM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
I have driven the newer models and with my mods it beats them. Stock for stock the newer is better, but with the right mods the 99 is a screamer. Partly due to the fact the 3.4 is quicker reving and with a lightweight flywheel it revs like a motorcycle. The lighter weight helps too. It's amazing how much weight you can save from a glove box and cup holder delete!

Try them all and judge for yourself. They're all great!

1999 Factory Weight 2920lbs
2002 Factory Weight 3097lbs

That's 177lbs!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:58 AM
P-carkid is infamous around these parts
get the 02+ because of the turbo headlights, the 3.6L, and other little stuff others mentioned.

nothing against the 99-01 models, I just like the turbo headlights and that's why when I was looking for a car, I only looked the 02+ cars.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 AM
I just find the car I am interested in. It was listed by WEISSACH AUTOHAUS LLC. Does anyone has any experience with this company? They said that the car comes with 1 yr warranty that will be honor by any Porsche dealer through out North America. Is this true? I dont think they are a true Porsche dealer. My question is how can they offer the warranty that any Porsche dealer will honor?? Please help, this will be my first 911 Porsche and want to make sure I buy the right car from the right people.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 04:33 AM
fastbydrmike is infamous around these parts
I have a 01 black on black cab with the aero kit, new Michelins, and the 30,000 mile serviced performed, I paid $45,000.00. This car is immaculate inside and out. The bank said clean trade was 43,000.00 but everytime I had seen this car at my country club I couldn't stop looking at it. I couldn't believe it was a 01 for how clean it was.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Devin - CT is infamous around these parts
Weissach Autohaus

Originally Posted by xcusemi
I just find the car I am interested in. It was listed by WEISSACH AUTOHAUS LLC. Does anyone has any experience with this company? They said that the car comes with 1 yr warranty that will be honor by any Porsche dealer through out North America. Is this true? I dont think they are a true Porsche dealer. My question is how can they offer the warranty that any Porsche dealer will honor?? Please help, this will be my first 911 Porsche and want to make sure I buy the right car from the right people.

Thanks
I know these guys (Phil and Dan) personally and have taken my cars to their affiliate shop as well. Great guys who are extremely knowledgeable about Porsches. Shoot me an email if you want to discuss the shop offline devin_roccisano at yahoo dot com.

Oh and I'm not affiliated in anyway other than a satisfied customer.