996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Lowering a 996 without paying a ton of $$?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
When I researched it, The coilovers, (Pss9s seem to be the best for street and mild track uses) were about $2K...then I paid $450 for install and alignment. So under $2500 total. Spring and shock install was $500 for the springs, $1000 for shocks, Install was $750...(yes it was more labor to install springs and shocks vs. coilovers) Totaling $2250....I got an AMAZING deal on my PSS9s so I was actually WAY under the cost for springs/shocks so it was a no brainer. Some have just done springs. Its not really advised because there are handling issues with this. You are lowering the car, which shortens the shock travel, and compresses the shocks...so you jist a bump and the shock tries to push back to its normal position, which is higher than the lowered height then it comes back and rests at the lower ride height. So the shock compresses on bump hit, then EXPANDS back to STOCK ride height and the settles on lowered ride height. Its calle dthe Pogo effect and it does it very fast, and creates a floating feeling in the front end especially on high speed corners....its not confidence inspiring. So the key is to get shocks designed for lowered cars. So you add $1,000 to the cost of the springs only. Coilovers are designed to work with each other AND PSS9s are height adjustable, and dampening adjustable. So you get the ride height YOU want, and you can adjust the dampening for a smooth comfortable ride. I find even with 19s, my ride is more comfortable that it was on the stock suspension.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I use shox.com as a template for prices (since they are reasonable), but shop around and theyll beat their prices. I paid $1800 plus $1000 for install, align & balance for pss9. Springs (H&R) and dampners (Bilstien) are def the cheapest way to lower and improve handling. Lots of people do it for the same reasons that you have.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
wow! you guys are great! so much information! thank you...thank you!!! i truly appreciate your feedback!

when i finally get it lowered, i'll be sure and post some pictures!

thank you again! i'm going to check out some of the links that you sent me!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Lazerblade is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
wow! you guys are great! so much information! thank you...thank you!!! i truly appreciate your feedback!

when i finally get it lowered, i'll be sure and post some pictures!

thank you again! i'm going to check out some of the links that you sent me!
Crap, I didn't send you links.

LOL, just kidding. It's been a fun day.

Paul

Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Wink

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
Crap, I didn't send you links.

LOL, just kidding. It's been a fun day.

Paul
aww....paul, you provided me with lots of good info and lots of entertainment! that's just as good as links!

hugs*

Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 PM
silverarrow is infamous around these parts
I'd go with the Pss9's if you have the money so splurge on

Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 PM
sounds like the pss9's are the general census on the board! i'll have to schedule a time to take it in and have it done.

thanks you guys! i'm excited to see how it will look when it's finished! it may have to wait a a bit as we just bought rims/tires for both p-cars last month!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Bill Pickering is infamous around these parts
There seems to be quite a few nice people on the boards, so my advice would be to try and get a ride a car similar to yours with the different options that you are looking at. A car's ride is about as subjective as it gets from person to person. I have a totally stock 996 for a street driver and a track only Boxster with PSS9's (spec rules mandate the use of the PSS9's). I've also ridden in 996's and Boxsters with PSS9's, US MO30, ROW MO30 and JIC Cross suspensions on the street and track. And I've ridden with folks that only have the H&R springs. The only suspension I haven't sampled personally is the X74.

Here in CA you can get the H&R springs for ~$340 and the Bilstein Sport Shocks that provide a decent match to them for ~$750. Labor ~$700 to install which includes an alignment. So with state CA state tax you are under $2K rolling on down the road.

I really like the stock ride of my 1999 C2. I just don't like the 4x4 look. Since I use my car to commute 3 days a week and do occasional weekend tours, I'm hoping to find a similar ride to stock that looks nicer to me from lowering. But I don't want to be scraping everywhere.

The MO30's (either version) give a firm and controlled ride, but they just don't lower the car to suite my tastes. So far, the PSS9's and the H&R springs with Bilstein Sports seem to be what I'm after in ride height appearance and ride. I actually prefer the H&R ride with the Bilstein Sports as they have a softer initial feel before the progressive nature of the springs take over. If I remember correctly the H&R's are slightly softer in spring rates than the PSS9's. The PSS9's are a killer deal for a coilover and what's slick is that they can be set to your ride height preference based on the look you are trying to get, as well as functionality in the road clearance you need in the area you live in. The down side I have with PSS9's is that I don't like the preset rebound settings that they picked for the shocks, especially on the softer settings. They don't suit my tastes. The stiff settings are fine, but around town I'm going to be on the soft settings for the most part.

The X74 package is so low, it wouldn't work for me in the area I live in due to ground clearance issues. I don't know how they ride since I've never been in a car that has them on it.

For me, I'm still deciding what to do. I wouldn't mind taking a ride in a car with the H&R coilovers in it to round out my experiences. But I can't find a car setup with these in my area. The spring rates seem to be softer than the PSS9's on paper.

If you don't track the car on a big track and keep it to AX, the H&R springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks may be great for you. And you can take the extra money leftover for other upgrades to the car that you want to do. But if you can, try and get a ride in cars with the different options. Only you can decide what right for you. For instance, I know of several people that have pulled off both PSS9's and H&R's and returned to stock based on it being too stiff, not riding "right", shock valving not to their liking. It really is personal preference.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!

Bill P.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Lazerblade is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bill Pickering
There seems to be quite a few nice people on the boards, so my advice would be to try and get a ride a car similar to yours with the different options that you are looking at. A car's ride is about as subjective as it gets from person to person. I have a totally stock 996 for a street driver and a track only Boxster with PSS9's (spec rules mandate the use of the PSS9's). I've also ridden in 996's and Boxsters with PSS9's, US MO30, ROW MO30 and JIC Cross suspensions on the street and track. And I've ridden with folks that only have the H&R springs. The only suspension I haven't sampled personally is the X74.

Here in CA you can get the H&R springs for ~$340 and the Bilstein Sport Shocks that provide a decent match to them for ~$750. Labor ~$700 to install which includes an alignment. So with state CA state tax you are under $2K rolling on down the road.

I really like the stock ride of my 1999 C2. I just don't like the 4x4 look. Since I use my car to commute 3 days a week and do occasional weekend tours, I'm hoping to find a similar ride to stock that looks nicer to me from lowering. But I don't want to be scraping everywhere.

The MO30's (either version) give a firm and controlled ride, but they just don't lower the car to suite my tastes. So far, the PSS9's and the H&R springs with Bilstein Sports seem to be what I'm after in ride height appearance and ride. I actually prefer the H&R ride with the Bilstein Sports as they have a softer initial feel before the progressive nature of the springs take over. If I remember correctly the H&R's are slightly softer in spring rates than the PSS9's. The PSS9's are a killer deal for a coilover and what's slick is that they can be set to your ride height preference based on the look you are trying to get, as well as functionality in the road clearance you need in the area you live in. The down side I have with PSS9's is that I don't like the preset rebound settings that they picked for the shocks, especially on the softer settings. They don't suit my tastes. The stiff settings are fine, but around town I'm going to be on the soft settings for the most part.

The X74 package is so low, it wouldn't work for me in the area I live in due to ground clearance issues. I don't know how they ride since I've never been in a car that has them on it.

For me, I'm still deciding what to do. I wouldn't mind taking a ride in a car with the H&R coilovers in it to round out my experiences. But I can't find a car setup with these in my area. The spring rates seem to be softer than the PSS9's on paper.

If you don't track the car on a big track and keep it to AX, the H&R springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks may be great for you. And you can take the extra money leftover for other upgrades to the car that you want to do. But if you can, try and get a ride in cars with the different options. Only you can decide what right for you. For instance, I know of several people that have pulled off both PSS9's and H&R's and returned to stock based on it being too stiff, not riding "right", shock valving not to their liking. It really is personal preference.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!

Bill P.
Thank you for this incredible information. This is what makes 6Speedonline so fantastic. Again, thanks for taking the time to write this.

Paul

Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 PM
bill,

wow! what great information and ideas! thank you sooo very much for taking the time to give me some great advice! and and idea i had not thought of!

thanks to ALL of you guys! i truly appreciate your time and advice!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:52 PM
The Dark Knight is infamous around these parts
Any updates??

Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
bill,

wow! what great information and ideas! thank you sooo very much for taking the time to give me some great advice! and and idea i had not thought of!

thanks to ALL of you guys! i truly appreciate your time and advice!
Did you ever decide on any of these solutions? It popped up when I was doing a MO30 search. I know it was written almost a year ago and it had some great coilover alternative info as well; most notably the very detailed hands on and informative post by Bill Pickering. I am getting ready to pair the Mo30s with the Eibach Pro-Kit. A lot of Bimmer owners run that combo over the H&Rs since it is less harsh and similar control accd to a Rennlist article. The MO30/MO95s supposedly have the same valving as the Bilstein HDs accd to a couple of other articles. Anyone running this set up in the real world and what is your opinion of the handling and ride vs stock and vs MO30?

HC

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 08-19-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned
etwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really nice
Just do yourself a huge favor and call Aaron @ Suncoast Porsche (877) 923-1700 and order the ROW M030 suspension (approx. $990.00). Ask him for the Porsche lowering perches for front and rear too. Believe me, the car will be night and day and will be plenty 'low' enough. WHAT a difference!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
The Dark Knight is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by etwd
Just do yourself a huge favor and call Aaron @ Suncoast Porsche (877) 923-1700 and order the ROW M030 suspension (approx. $990.00). Ask him for the Porsche lowering perches for front and rear too. Believe me, the car will be night and day and will be plenty 'low' enough. WHAT a difference!
I already have the MO30/MO95 Shocks and springs from the '04 Silver Anniversary C2 with 7K miles on them & GT3 sways. Do you know what the part # is for the perches? I can't seem to find them. I will also give your guy a Suncoast a call. The Eibachs are progressive rate, fresh and drop it 1"/25.4mm vs 10mm with the MO30s.

HC

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 08-19-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
drestless is infamous around these parts
If I use MO30/MO95 Shocks and springs or any shocks that will lower my car by 1" or 1.5", Do I need to install camber kits so my tires wont wear out fast? Also does the MO30/MO95 Shocks and springs work with PASM on my 996 C4? Thank you.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drestless
If I use MO30/MO95 Shocks and springs or any shocks that will lower my car by 1" or 1.5", Do I need to install camber kits so my tires wont wear out fast? Also does the MO30/MO95 Shocks and springs work with PASM on my 996 C4? Thank you.
1st...M030 springs will give you about half an inch lower.

2nd...unless you go ALOT lower you wont need camber kits as there is alot of adjustability built into the car.

3rd...you dont have PASM you have PSM and springs and shocks have no effect on the PSM system. Wheels and tire sizes have more effect on the PSM system than springs and shocks.
PASM is Porsche's active suspension which can adjust the dampening of the shocks from within the car. Changing it from comfort settings to sport mode at the flick of a switch. That came out on the 997, not 996.
PSM is the Porsche Stability Management which is the computer controlled traction control. Two entirely different systems with similar names....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering a 996 without paying a ton of $$?