996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Is there a radio harness available for 99 996 CR220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:39 PM
rlim is infamous around these parts
To my disappointment, the Metra Wire Harness (70-1784) for VW/Audi which I thought would be a direct plug-in to the Porsche radio harness is incompatible. It seems that I will have to splice into the radio wire harness after all. I’m hoping someone can let me know the radio wire pinout/colour coding. I’ve attached a couple of pictures of the radio harness and the Metra harness.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
SeattleDL is infamous around these parts
I was in the same boat exactly - but bought the Metra 70-1787. I'm still installing but it looks like it's the right harness...

Old 12-02-2007, 02:51 PM
The harness with the black connector plugs in. However, the connector (blue/green/yellow) does not. As you can see in the pic, there are many more pins on the coloured connector to the Metra which only has 6 pins.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM
the 70-1787 has another connector which fits the multi colored one - and has two sets of rca connectors that your stereo plugs into...

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...rce=googlebase

Old 12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
here is the connector

The red part of the metra connector connects to the three part blue/yellow/green plug and the other part of the metra harness (black) contains the power components - pretty straightforward.

Attached Images   
Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
I too, used the 1787 harness. I have an 02 C4s with the bose system. Unfortunately the Bose amps seem to only take line level inputs...hence the RCA plugs on the harness were useless. I still had to splice the speaker line outputs into the factory wiring. the rest of the plug worked fine.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:12 PM
SeattleDL, In looking at the 70-1787 harness, there are RCA plugs attached to the connectors. Did you use them or remove them and splice them into the aftermarket radio harness? Were you able to complete the installation of your radio? Thanks for your direction and help.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I used the RCA connectors and didn't have a problem - there were two sets of preouts from the back of the DNX7100. System is up and running now.

I didn't look to see which amp I have - but I have an '01tt that came with Nav.

happy to help - the only way I was able to get mine set was with help from the forum.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I will look into 70-1987 harness. There are preouts on the Alpine unit which I'll use. Truely appreciate you help and guidance .. Thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 02:18 PM
996SC is infamous around these parts
Does anyone have the antenna adoptor part number by chance. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
bmwguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by flash80
I too, used the 1787 harness. I have an 02 C4s with the bose system. Unfortunately the Bose amps seem to only take line level inputs...hence the RCA plugs on the harness were useless. I still had to splice the speaker line outputs into the factory wiring. the rest of the plug worked fine.
Greetings:
I'm in the process of working on an install in a '02 996 Cab with the Bose (no hifi) system and factory C220 head unit and factory changer. In the dash, there are THREE plugs for the C220. one black as shown above, one brown that is similar in shape to the black one, and the red/yellow/green like above. I believe in this situation (which may be similar to yours), splicing into the factory harness can be eliminated by using portions of both the Metra 70-1784 and 70-1787. I'll explain. The black plug for the 1784 has pinouts for all of the speaker wires. The black plug for the 1787 does not have pinouts for all of the speaker wires. Most of the pins areas in that plug are blank, so the factory speaker wires get no signal from the 1787's black plug. And since the 1784 has no red plug for the red/yellow/green factory plug to connect to, the factory amp gets no turn on signal/audio signal.

I believe the solution is to use a combination of the 1784 AND 1787. Meaning, utilize the black plug from the 1784 in combination with the red plug from the 1787. The blue wire that connects the red plug to the black plug in the 1787 kit, would be cut from the black plug, and spliced into the blue amp turn on wire located on the black plug of the 1784 kit. The RCA's on the red plug of the 1787, would theoretically either not connect to anything, or connect to the RCA's exiting the aftermarket head unit. In my case, the Avic D3.

My hypothesis is this will solve the issue, but havent had a chance to test yet.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by bmwguy; 12-10-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
that is actually exactly what i ended up doing. I started by using the 1787 as a whole, but needed to use the 1784 piece to get the power to the amp. Figuring that piece out took me a little bit... I used the RCA's from the aftermarket head unit.

so the approach that worked for me was to buy both harnesses, just as you say. I wish I'd been able to think it out ahead of time like you did though.

The only other thing I ran into as I put things together was that you have to be careful not to get the constant power and the ignition dependent power wires mixed up. I think they are in different locations in the 1784 and 1787 harnesses.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Seattle:
Thanks for confirming. Oh, it took me several HOURS to think this through, and if it wasn't for this thread and it's pics, and reading it over and over, I most likely would not have even thought about using the two harnesses. What is frustrating is how I apparently didnt use specific-enough search terms to get to this thread (actually this forum) until days after beginning the initial project planning. This site has much more info than the renntech site. I actually JUST found this thread, which is somewhat helpful as well, but looks like he didnt know about the proper harnesses.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...pic=10095&st=0

And thanks for the heads up on the possible power wire issue. I'll be on the lookout for that.
Question: I assume you also had 3 plugs going into the back of your stock headunit as well? The green/yellow/blue plug, the black plug, AND the brown plug? In some of the posts, many appear to not have the brown plug. Does the brown plug mean it's a Bose Hifi system?
And lastly, did you have to utilize the RCA's on the 1787 in your setup? The Avic-D3 that Im installing has RCA outs, and Im assuming I will connect those to the 1787's RCA's.

Placing the following terms in so that others who search can find this thread and have some help.

Avic-D3, Double Din install in 996, Double Din Install in Porsche, Metra Harness Porsche 996.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Great idea to put the search terms in the thread.

Here's a pic of what I had. Mine came with Nav. I didn't use the two connectors on the bottom of the picture(larger blue and black ones with the grey clamps). I did use the rca outs from the DNX-7100 without a problem.

It sounds though like the RCA outs may not work on every system? But at least in my situation it wasn't a problem. I'm not sure about the differences between the brown plug you have and the ones I have. I assume that either the blue or larger black one is from the nav, but would have to check the wiring diagram...

Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the response.

The 996 Im working on doesnt have those plugs with the white "clamps" on them. Im guessing thats NAV related. I see you also that your factory wiring harness doesnt include the brown plug that I am working with. And the brown plug (if I am recalling correctly) is the one that has all of the speaker wires in it. So Im thinking the RCA's wont be used in this my instance. Well, once the 1787 arrives and I get back to the project, we'll see how things go. I'll update the thread once things get back on track. Thanks for all of the info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a radio harness available for 99 996 CR220