996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Subwoofer in trunk anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Sonic is infamous around these parts
With the sub in the front trunk, all you will heaar will be body resonance unless you port it into the cabin through the firewall. The problem with this is the port lenth is so long that you wont get any tight bass but you will get good subsonic frequencies. The pass. footwell sub is very good for the tight bass but loses out on some of the low freq since you can only fit an 8". As far as the rear enclosures go firing them up seems to work well, I've built many different applications that keep the rear seat unaffected, ie: four 6.5", two and four 8" and two and four 10" still keeping a stock(ish) look with breathable matching wool carpet

Last edited by Sonic; 11-29-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:50 PM
donuts is infamous around these parts
Thanks Sonic,

I now like the idea of rear enclosures. I don't need gangsta bass, so I was thinking 2 6" JL's. There is supposed to be a new 6w3 that is replacing the 6w0 coming out soon. Do you think this would suffice? How much different would 1 or 2 8"s sound? Also I'm trying to keep everything in that trough behind the rear seat, rather than using the whole length of the rear. I should also mention that I don't like listening to music very loud. I like how a system sounds when there's a lot of power and "movement" going through the speaker (ie. punchy), at a moderate volume, rather than having to crank it up. Does this make sense?

Old 11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Sonic is infamous around these parts
I would recomend going with 8" drivers over the 6" because the frequency response (Fs)of the 6" wont really get into the sub frequencies while the 8" has a lower resonant freq. but still has a low enough cone mass to produce the quick transients(punch bass). You can fit 1 or 2 in the "pocket" behind the rear seat. I would also suggest putting some polyfill into the enclosure (lightly fill it).

Old 11-30-2007, 12:18 AM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
bring on the pics.. im getting some idea's.....

Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 AM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sonic
I would recomend going with 8" drivers over the 6" because the frequency response (Fs)of the 6" wont really get into the sub frequencies while the 8" has a lower resonant freq. but still has a low enough cone mass to produce the quick transients(punch bass). You can fit 1 or 2 in the "pocket" behind the rear seat. I would also suggest putting some polyfill into the enclosure (lightly fill it).
Agreed, I'd try to shoe-in larger drivers, if possible. In general (obviously there are exceptions), the larger the driver, the better the output will be at the low frequencies. Frequencies below 80-100 Hz are considered "omni directional" that is, your ear can figure out the source of the sound. So if you have larger drivers, the sound should be more difficult to localize--and you can trick your mind into thinking that all the sound is coming from the front--i.e. good staging. That being said, I've heard good things about the IDQ 6.5" drivers...but usually mounted in doors or kick panels.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Here's mine......3 6" JL's

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 PM
snpdesigns is infamous around these parts
Where can I buy sub box behind rear seats for 996 C2?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Euclid is infamous around these parts
There are several for sale on these forums. Otherwise you'll likely have to have one made.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Audio Innovations in Northern Cali makes sub boxes and does a lot of Porsches. I have no affiliation with this company.

www.caraudioinnovations.com

Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Co79 where did you get that sub enclosure?

Old 12-01-2007, 05:38 PM
nathanc4s is infamous around these parts
sub

I had recently had a 04 with a full REUS system and it had one 10 in the trunk and ported it into the cab, there is a roughly 4 inch metal plug under the dash which is the spot for a right hand drive cars they removed this plug and it sounded pretty good.... good luck

Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
iornman86 is infamous around these partsiornman86 is infamous around these parts
i am putting 2 10s behind the seats, you have to use very shallow ones to to do this, i am making the fiberglass boxes to make the enclosure, i should be able to post pictures tomorrow.

the ones i am using in order to make them fit are the pioneer 10" subs, they are only 3" deep, link is below, i am loosing about an inch in seat travel

[media]http://www.nolimitcaraudio.com/images/store/9027.jpg[/media]

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
I took my car to the stereo shop for custom install of amp + custom box behind seats.
it was terrible. they used 2 8" and it was the nastiest box i have seen. they took the box back and refunded every penny. i kept the Alpine amp though. I bought a 6.5" bazooka tube and it fits perfect behind the back seats. the bass wasn't too good with the factory porsche sound system (cause they had to splice into speakers to get the signal). later on i installed the Alpine unit and ran new RCA cables to front of the car, one for bass amp and another for speaker amp (i installed a pioneer amp for speakers). I rerouted the speaker wires in the front of the car to the new amp.
The sound is amazing, i can't believe i didn't do this sooner. i got my ipod connection + mp3 connection by the glovebox. i will post pics if you're interested. (don't have any pics right now, but can take some)

I did the install myself, since i don't trust those stereo shops no more.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:17 AM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
Cool

Originally Posted by yellowbmr
I took my car to the stereo shop for custom install of amp + custom box behind seats.
it was terrible. they used 2 8" and it was the nastiest box i have seen. they took the box back and refunded every penny. i kept the Alpine amp though. I bought a 6.5" bazooka tube and it fits perfect behind the back seats. the bass wasn't too good with the factory porsche sound system (cause they had to splice into speakers to get the signal). later on i installed the Alpine unit and ran new RCA cables to front of the car, one for bass amp and another for speaker amp (i installed a pioneer amp for speakers). I rerouted the speaker wires in the front of the car to the new amp.
The sound is amazing, i can't believe i didn't do this sooner. i got my ipod connection + mp3 connection by the glovebox. i will post pics if you're interested. (don't have any pics right now, but can take some)

so you kept the bazooka or original box after all????? pix?

Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 AM
purplec320 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yellowbmr

I agree most stereo shops are not up to par on installation job, I tried many shops in the USA and Taiwan and most are simply doing ghetto stereo systems. Even the last place I went to install my radio scratched up my brand new radio... And they are suppose to be good... they don't even know how to work on fiberglass... Anyhow, I decided to make my own sub box to replace the rear seat bottoms out of fiberglass and do a mold for the rest of my friends that own 996 just in case they need it. I don't have that much time recently so expect another 2 months before I post photos... At least I know it'll be done right with 2 10" Diamond or Boston Subs and it will definately sound good since I wired up 2 10" in rear seat for the meantime and it definately have that gangster bass I'm looking for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer in trunk anyone?