996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help Please, My wheels are rubbing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RAW-MEAN
Taking it to California concepts. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks everyone, as long as I don't have to let my HREs go, I am good.
The rear wheel look like it sticking out too far. Maybe this set is for a widebody?

how wide are the wheels and what is the offset?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 PM
FSL
FSL is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb

Looks like wrong offset. If it's rubbing at rear I would change the wheels, however if it's rubbing front only at full lock it can cured with fender roller.

Ideal offset for 19" wheels on narrow body 996: 19X8.5" et 56 mm and 19X11" rear with et 67 mm IMO.

P.S: Sorry about my English punctuation I know it means lot to you.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
susp is too high need to lower it. once you lower it you shouldn't rub. or just massage the liner with a heat gun.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 PM
FSL
I would say it will rub more, if suspension is lowered??

Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
no that's not from my experience. one that hasn't gone through this would assume so.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 AM
FSL
Hum I will research more on that however laws of physics are against your claim.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by oak
no that's not from my experience. one that hasn't gone through this would assume so.
From the pics, it appears if he lowers it, the rear quarter will be sitting on the tire.

I have gone through a lot of wheels and lowering. Usually when you lower it, it will start to rub. Never heard of it vice versa.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
There is a plastic ridge just forward of the tire tread, behind the bumper cover. The tire will rub that area especially if 996 GT3 spec's are used.
It does look like the rear wheels are a bit agressive. How about a rear 3/4 shot of the car so we can see that area.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:02 AM
oak
Originally Posted by nine9six
From the pics, it appears if he lowers it, the rear quarter will be sitting on the tire.

I have gone through a lot of wheels and lowering. Usually when you lower it, it will start to rub. Never heard of it vice versa.
as you start to lower the rear, the geometry of the suspension will start gain negative camber. as the suspension articulates up into the wheel well you will gaine even more neg camber.

Last edited by oak; 12-05-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:08 AM
oak
Originally Posted by Alan Baylis
There is a plastic ridge just forward of the tire tread, behind the bumper cover. The tire will rub that area especially if 996 GT3 spec's are used.
It does look like the rear wheels are a bit agressive. How about a rear 3/4 shot of the car so we can see that area.
if the plastic ridge you speak of is the same as for the turbo, if the suspension is stock of set close to stock depending on the offset and width it will rub due to the ridge being at the height of coutour of the tire. once you lower the suspension the ridge will be below the height of contour and should eleviate the rubbing.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by oak
as you start to lower the rear, the geometry of the suspension will start gain negative camber. as the suspension articulates up into the wheel well you will gaine even more neg camber.
And then we get an alignment to correct the negative camber caused by lowering and we are back to point A.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nine9six
And then we get an alignment to correct the negative camber caused by lowering and we are back to point A.
Depends on if he goes for an aggressive alignment or not.....An aggressive street or track alignment has more negative camber than the stock setup....With my stock 18s and a lowered car and aggressive alignment my rears looked so puny because they were in far too miuch...19x11's fixed that problem.....

Old 12-05-2007, 10:58 AM
oak
most prefer more neg camber when lowering to enhance handling. dependant on prefered handling and practical reasons if you wan to get back to stock camber in the rears you will need to install upper dog bones to get back to stock camber settings. then you open up another can of worms in your wheel offset, depending on the amount of neg camber and wheel offsets/tires.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
Oak,

If we use your avitar as a reference the ridge that I am speaking of is forward of the front tire at the 3 o'clock position. It is about 6 inches from bottom to top. The 996 GT2 and GT3 have a different fender liner without the ridge, the cars are lower, they have more negative camber and the stock tires on the stock wheels rub at full lock. Because the body work is the same on the GT2 and Turbo or GT3 and narrow body 996 many wheel manufacturers use the specifications for the GT2 and GT3 to make wheels for the 996 Turbo and 996 narrow body. That is when there can be some rubbing that needs to be addressed.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned
RAW-MEAN is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone for your help. Thank god I didn't listen to you guys and take a flamethrower to my car. Finally HRE stepped in to help. The problem was the oversized tires the last owner had on the wheels. The fronts were 245/35/19 they said they are suppose to have 235-35-19. Have a pair on its way and will install on Friday. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Please, My wheels are rubbing.