996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PSS9 installation a DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:33 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
PSS9 installation a DIY?

I have changed suspension on japaneese cars but never a Porsche.

I wanted to know is changing a C2 (03 Targa) suspension to PSS9s a DIY with jack stands (no lift) in my garage?

I don't have a spring collapser anymore. Does the entire assymbly come right out, or will I have to compress the springs?

Thank you in advance for the help.

PS. If this is a DIY anyone intrested in a "step by step" w/pics? (Or does anyone have one?)

Old 12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, you can do it yourself, especially on a C2, if you have some previous suspension experience. You do not need a spring compressor for the stock struts, they are not under pressure like a traditional strut. When you pop the top nut off to get the strut hat off, the spring will pop all of about 6 inches.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the quick response. So it seems I'll need the hats to be transfered from stock suspension to the PSS9 set up?

Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
another useful tool is the VW/ Porsche tierod end puller, makes things easy, without damaging the boot on the tierods...will need that for the front end, spring compressors are not needed, and make sure you get it in for an alignment right away.

Last edited by Sharp; 12-07-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 PM
sahtt57 is infamous around these parts
It is a straight forward installation. You don't have to worry about accidently maiming your friend on the other side of the garage with the springs like with most japanese setups. Here is detailed information pss9 cayman installation

Last edited by sahtt57; 12-07-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all the tips gang. Suspension went in with no issues.

Took it to Motorsports Technique (in Hayward) for alignment. They lowered the front a bit more to give her a bit of rake. It turned out very nice.

This is Porsche envy's car, so I hope he posts some pics.