996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My garage construction thread...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:17 AM
GT3Scott is infamous around these partsGT3Scott is infamous around these parts
My garage construction thread...

Today was day one of construction of my new garage. I'll just add on to this thread as each step progresses for those of you interested. Today was day 1, clearing of trees. Tomorrow the footer will be dug and poured, and framing should start next week.

When it's done it will be 30'Dx42'W, 3 bays (1 with lift, probably K&W), 12' ceilings, A/C & heat, plus an attic above for storage. I'll be using Armstrong industrial tiles from Lowes on the floor (58c/sf), probably in a grey/white pattern. Inside will be finished and insulated.

Day 1 pic isn't much to look at, but hopefully in a month or so we'll be cookin'!

Scott

Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2004, 08:32 AM
jroy is infamous around these parts
sounds very nice. looking forward to progress photos..!

Old 06-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
why don't you set-up a 24/7 webcam so that we can see live pics - talk about cool! LOL

I am jealous and can't wait till the day I'm in your shoes

Old 06-03-2004, 08:53 AM
ProV1 is infamous around these parts
re: armstrong vct tiles - they used to come in 2'x2' size but no longer. 1x1 isnt too bad tho! goodluck

Old 06-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Andy (Atlanta) is a jewel in the roughAndy (Atlanta) is a jewel in the roughAndy (Atlanta) is a jewel in the roughAndy (Atlanta) is a jewel in the rough
These are 12x12. The VCT have advantages and dis-advantages. I'm happy with mine after 4+ years.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Andy what disadvantages did you find about the VCT tiles?

I'm planning on doing a 2'x2' pattern even though I'm of course using the 1'x1' tiles.

No webcam sorry, would be cool though sped up 1000x or so tho!

Old 06-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Scott are you going to transplant the trees? We need the O2

Old 06-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Scott....30' deep???? You putting a boat in there?

Getting ready to add on to my existing garage, but staying in the 22-25' range, small sports cars only.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Kevin -- I'll just wear my O2-creating-breathing-apparatus more often to make up the difference.

Eric -- Original plan was 26' deep but I wanted some "work space" (for working on cars, parts, etc) too -- should have 8-10' in front of the cars easy. It also allows all the storage cabinets to be in the back of the garage, so the sides can be empty for doors to swing wide open. Of course I'm building it extra wide too (14' wide per bay) so that shouldn't be an issue in any case!).

Scott

Old 06-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Andy (Atlanta) is a jewel in the roughAndy (Atlanta) is a jewel in the roughAndy (Atlanta) is a jewel in the roughAndy (Atlanta) is a jewel in the rough
The dis-advantages are that the floor can be slippery when wet and the tiles can "dent" if a heavy load is put on them. For example, if you jack your car up with a floor jack, it can dent the tiles. I always put a thin piece of wood under the jack to prevent it from happening. Also, I put several coats of floor wax on the tiles but some tire compounds can stain the wax. If that happens you can strip the old wax off and re-apply. I put small clear plastic squares under each tire if it will sit for a while to prevent the staining. There may be others floor waxes or coatings out there that will not stain. Since my car is not a daily driver, the dis-advantages are not a big issue for me.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:36 AM
b-man is infamous around these parts
CarreraScott, is the garage going to be attached to your house?

b-man

Old 06-04-2004, 12:59 AM
No it's detached from the house -- we have a, shall we say, different, house that would be impossible to attach a garage to...

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2004, 03:28 AM
Day 2 -- Footers dug and filled

Day 2 -- Footers dug and filled

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Interesting house. If you get mad at your kids, do you tell them to go sit in the corner?

Old 06-04-2004, 05:11 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
LOL...Andy.

Scott - Taking pictures of the whole building process will be a great memory and make for an excellent photobook. If it's not to much to ask, please post pics as often as possible so I can live vicariously through you!

Have fun
frank

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My garage construction thread...