996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Ruf Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:38 PM
RandomName is infamous around these parts
nothing screams baller like RUF rims . OZ can't do that...

Old 12-22-2007, 05:41 PM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen.rocket
The wheels may be manufactured by OZ, but that really means nothing at all. Just like a good number of different name brand televisions are made by one electronics manufacturer. That doesn't mean that they are all the same thing with a different badge on them. If RUF approaches OZ with material and manufacturing specifications, and has OZ manufacture a small run of wheels, that doesn't mean that they are OZ wheels rebadged as RUF. RUF just outsourced the manufacturing for them, it happens all the time.
They call that private labeling. i would love to see one on a 996 aero or mk1 GT3

Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
yes it does mean something because people who think ruf makes their own wheels now know nothing is bespoke about it.

with that said, oz is a top tier wheel brand with top tier quality just like bbs. id rather have regular oz wheels on my ride than rebadged ruf wheels for all i care.

e.g. oz superleggera 3s - you can get them at tirerack.com.

a ruf car is special only when it comes with a ruf vin# not cuz of their "special" wheels that you go ahead and put on your porsche vin 911

Old 12-22-2007, 08:29 PM
KelvinC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
yes it does mean something because people who think ruf makes their own wheels now know nothing is bespoke about it.
Are you saying that is nothing "bespoke" about Porsche OEM rims, as many of them are made by BBS and or other european wheel companies (speedline, etc.)?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
2ndGen.rocket is infamous around these parts
This entire argument is nonsense. No, it makes no difference that RUF has OZ manufacture their wheels. Do you think that Porsche makes their own wheels? Do you think that Ferrari and Lamborghini make their own wheels? No, they have a wheel manufacturer make them. Like someone above said, it's called private labeling. It doesn't mean that they are OZ wheels however.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by 2ndGen.rocket
This entire argument is nonsense. No, it makes no difference that RUF has OZ manufacture their wheels. Do you think that Porsche makes their own wheels? Do you think that Ferrari and Lamborghini make their own wheels? No, they have a wheel manufacturer make them. Like someone above said, it's called private labeling. It doesn't mean that they are OZ wheels however.
Agreed. The Ruf Modular wheels are in fact manufactured by OZ exclusively for Ruf. OZ and BBS actually have a long history of manufacturing wheels for OEM applications, for European and Japanese cars. The Superleggera IIIs just happen to be a model that OZ sells under its own brand as well as for Ruf.

As far as seeing Ruf rims on 996s, in addition to the ones I posted, except for the green car, there are many photos that could be found if searched under: Ruf RGT (2000), RTurbo, and RGT RS. You might hit a few 997s in the process but keep searching. "Images" in Google is your friend.

Also keep in mind that it has been published many times over that Ruf agrees with Porsche that the 996 platform is optimized for an 18" wheel rather than 19". While many people run 19s on the street just fine, you won't find Ruf 996 cars with 19s—only 18s. This includes the RGT, RGT RS, and R Turbo. (Ruf did offer the bling-ier 5 spokes aluminums in 19s for the 996 and 996 GT3, but kept 18s for their own cars). They did, however say that the 986 platform worked fine with 19s, and thus the 3400s, and 3600s have 19s. It's possible that people who purchased Ruf parts ala carte, have eventually sold their 19s to 996s...I think I've seen a few on the forum.

Last edited by KelvinC; 12-22-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Alright...finding 19s on 996 is difficult. Here's one...well, sort of. It's really dark, cropped weird, and far away:

more:

maybe 19s?

And here's 18-inch modulars on a 996:

Last edited by KelvinC; 12-23-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 AM
thanks kelvin

Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Wow … lots to say … but we’ll start with everyone is correct.
Some wheels are ‘re-badges’ other’s are manufactured ‘to spec’, and still some (rarely), are made ‘in-house and Ruf (as do most specialty companies), has products in all three variables. Very, very few ‘Brand Name Companies’ make ALL their own products. It’s too financially limiting, cost prohibitive, therefore, priced completely out of range for the limited quantities they would need to sell to make it profitable.
There are TONS of similar items (electronics, clothing, shoes, foods, wheels, etc.), being made to spec for specific company branding, and the very next day, to spec for a different companies branding. The tools to make each product are the similar if not exactly the same, it’s just a matter of how the product is specified for the final result or design.
Since the objective of selling a product is to profit, it doesn’t pay to build from scratch a tooling company for every different item, hence, the scores of manufacturing plants that specialize in tooling for specific needs. These manufacturing plants are designed to tear-down and reconstruct for a new product/production over-night. You can’t imagine how many products sold under one brand specific name are all produced at the same location, but to different spec’s, for different purpose, design and labeling.
This is why there are basic principals as to the way items are made with “Codes & Standards” (example: all rim edging is to a ‘standard’ design to mate with any brand tire), so it’s only a matter of design to spec – then cost of production - then supply and demand as to how, who and where a product is to be made. This makes limited productions, more valuable than mass produced, and ‘one-off’s’ extraordinarily costly.
Sorry to turn this into a lesson in Economics and Industrial & Manufacturing Efficiencies, but I also hope it helps everyone recognize that this makes everyone correct in their answers, based on what rim they’re referring to in the Ruf line, OZ line, etc.
Hope it helps.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:08 PM
2ndGen.rocket is infamous around these parts
You're right, and that is exactly what I was trying to say

Old 12-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by KelvinC
Alright...finding 19s on 996 is difficult. Here's one...well, sort of. It's really dark, cropped weird, and far away:

more:

maybe 19s?

And here's 18-inch modulars on a 996:

so much for 18s being ideal. i think what you mean is that you'll never see DUBs on the 997 based Rufs. they all use 19s.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
so much for 18s being ideal. i think what you mean is that you'll never see DUBs on the 997 based Rufs. they all use 19s.
Nah, I was talking about the 996, not the 997. But they all look good anyway.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:29 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
I like the Rufs. I dont know if i should get rid of my Carrera Classics and get the Rufs. I like the look of my Carrera Classics on my car. HMMMMMMM choices

Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 PM
it would be rare and nice looking. keep the classics with winter tires.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by KelvinC
Nah, I was talking about the 996, not the 997. But they all look good anyway.
wtf dude, you posted pics of Ruf cars with 19s on them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ruf Rims