996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Should I ignore check engine light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM
asifallasleep is infamous around these parts
Should I ignore check engine light?

Great, just great. I am preparing to drive from nyc to dc for the holiday, leaving sat morning, when my 03 911 c2 decides to drop the check engine light on me. should i ignore it and drive or should i take to a porsche shop to pay 100 bucks to have the code read?

Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
81911 is infamous around these parts
100 bucks or multiple thousands, up to you.
Don't get me wrong, it could be something simple but if you have time check it out.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
cel's are related to emissions... it would bother me and wont enjoy the ride but, its' up to you though!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
i bet a its the classic MAF sensor failure!! get the code read at the very least

my $0.02cdn

Old 12-20-2007, 02:51 PM
actually raw-mean, you're the stupidest person ever to reply to post. if you have nothing productive to say, i would suggest you zip it. by the way, happy holidays and perhaps you will mature a bit in the new year. obviously i have a million things to do, with christmas being next week, so this thing happening a day before i leave throws everything in disarray. and i am not sure where you live, but here in nyc, getting an appointment at a porsche dealership or a shop with a day or two notice is pretty much impossible. try a week or two. i was checking to see if anyone else had a similar experience. it may be different with a porsche, but loads of people drive their cars with the check engine lights on as the problems are usually emissions related, not exactly a live or die proposition in terms of dollars and damage. Out of all the sites i've posted on over the years, from porsche, bmw and vw, you're the first jerk i've encountered. Everyone else has been most helpful. but i guess your behavior suits your photo.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:12 PM
actually i wanted to get some info about people's experiences of driving with the check engine light on. like i said, loads of people with bmw's and other cars drive their cars with the engine light on. many exasperated because the dealer tries a million things and cant resolve it. um, and who said i posted this question on the other sites? the bottom line is what's the point of calling someone's question stupid? what value does that add? it you think a question is stupid, why are you even responding to it? clearly you have a lot of time on your hands. where are you located? perhaps we could meet half way and i could make your face look goofier than it already does. you look like a fat boy, or is it a huge goofy head on a skinny little body?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM
MechanicalEng is infamous around these parts
Dont ignore it.. take her to AutoZone and they will read the code for free.. if its a CO2 emissions related dont worry too much, if its something else [missfiring or cylinders running lean] you should worry...

Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks MechanicalEng. Autozone. Great idea. I wont need an appt there. have a great holiday. Happy driving.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RAW-MEAN
Carma is a *****, I say just get ride of that Piece of **** and start walking

oil failure warning - 03 911 C2
anyone ever get this warning? fuel pressure erratic, drops to zero, oil failure warning comes on, pressure goes back up. no noises or jolts or anything from engine sound wise. mentioned it to guy who works on my car and he said my car definitely does not have a compression issue. i've read on a post where one guy replaced maf sensor to solve it and another replaced the oil pressure sending unit.
I don't mean to get in the middle of a really good fight, but this happened to me a couple months ago, 5 times in 30 minutes. Scared the living sh*t out of me. Called roadside aasistance and they said it was probably nothing but I should get it checked when I have an opportunity.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:05 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Just get it checked, wont hurt. If its truly a maf, you would notice your car idling very erratically. And after a drive, it may not start. If your car is modded like the way mine is, often at times its the programming and the O2 censor is giving the cel.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I get CEL's periodically....I've found that if I pull over, turn off the ignition and restart the car and the light goes out and doesn't come back on....I ignore the potential problem. If it keeps coming back, or comes right back on when you restart, then I'd pay a little more attention to it. Go to Autozone...borrow their reader and read the code. Depending upon what it is you can ignore it till you get back or have to take care of it right away. MAF can wait. I get ABS/PSM CEL's once in a while...still haven't gone to the dealership and nothing has happened.

Now....how about we get back to dealing with the issues and knock off with all these wolf tickets ......???

Old 12-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks Chuck. I thought it was a reasonable question. But i guess I'm the one with the problem cus i thought it was a bit insulting, rude and odd for someone to call someone's else's question "stupid". Moving along, when I left my office I checked the gas cap and it wasnt as tight as I think it should have been. So I screwed it on fairly tight started the car up a couple times and then the light went out. It didnt come on at all during my drive home, so hopefully that was the problem!!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:17 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
damn totally forgot about the simple fix... the freaking gas cap!!!

my dealer/ indy mechanic BOTH told me about this one!!!

good catch!!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Halleluja....Great Day in the Morning....maybe the most simple of solutions is the right one. I hope this does it for you. I just went out this evening and started the car, and it felt like it was missing a cylinder or two.....but no CEL came on...so I pulled over and did the Chuckie's famous roadside fix....turned off the engine and fired it back up and Voilla! No more problems. I really think it's the MAF. I don't have any mods other than Europipe. I'll try using some of that CDC electronic cleaner on it and Im pretty sure that could take care of some of the problem.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
cap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by asifallasleep
Thanks Chuck. I thought it was a reasonable question. But i guess I'm the one with the problem cus i thought it was a bit insulting, rude and odd for someone to call someone's else's question "stupid". Moving along, when I left my office I checked the gas cap and it wasnt as tight as I think it should have been. So I screwed it on fairly tight started the car up a couple times and then the light went out. It didnt come on at all during my drive home, so hopefully that was the problem!!
Hope your CEL problem is solved and have a safe trip...happy holidays to all

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I ignore check engine light?