996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

aftermarket turbo kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 10:50 PM
iornman86 is infamous around these partsiornman86 is infamous around these parts
aftermarket turbo kit

I have been looking at different possibilities for the Porsche and have seen that there are several possibilities on supercharging but haven't seen any aftermarket turbo chargers, has anyone ever had one fabricated?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iornman86
I have been looking at different possibilities for the Porsche and have seen that there are several possibilities on supercharging but haven't seen any aftermarket turbo chargers, has anyone ever had one fabricated?

Not worth the time and development required to build a proper kit.

Might as well buy a turbo.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 AM
iornman86 is infamous around these partsiornman86 is infamous around these parts
if it was worth the time and development to make 3 supercharger kits, why is it not worth bothering for a turbo kit.....

Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
if it was worth the time and development to make 3 supercharger kits, why is it not worth bothering for a turbo kit.....
there were kits developed...but the cost of the kits, lack of performance and reliability made them not worth the money. Why would you wanna spend 20k+ to Turbo the car when you can spend 10k and get better performance driveability and reliability? On top of that you wont have a TT. The TT motor is completely different, so just putting some Turbos on a 996 is not the best answer. Then there is space. There is (was) a kit for the Boxster out there..not many people had it, but its out there. I think it was like 7-10K for a 2.5L motor and developed under 300 hp. For the same amount you can pretty much drop in a 3.4L and get the 300hp, better reliability and torque....

Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
A properly centrifuge supercharged 996 will out perform a stock+ TT, so why bother. Put the SC on a C2 coupe and performance will be even better.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by newport996
there were kits developed...but the cost of the kits, lack of performance and reliability made them not worth the money. Why would you wanna spend 20k+ to Turbo the car when you can spend 10k and get better performance driveability and reliability? On top of that you wont have a TT. The TT motor is completely different, so just putting some Turbos on a 996 is not the best answer. Then there is space. There is (was) a kit for the Boxster out there..not many people had it, but its out there. I think it was like 7-10K for a 2.5L motor and developed under 300 hp. For the same amount you can pretty much drop in a 3.4L and get the 300hp, better reliability and torque....

so they didn't make much power? strange, turbos usually make more than a supercharger because the supercharger is belt driven.....i don't see how a turbo would be less reliable than a supercharger, they are both forced induction, unless it was because of the increased low end tq...but there is a roots bower kit out there, so i don't know what the difference would be....

i sure do understand the space issue, but it seems like you could replace each muffler pretty easy with a turbo...turbos muffle exhaust sound fairly well....it wouldn't be whisper quiet, but it seems like it would be fairly easy to remove the mufflers, weld on 2 fittings and run the intake pipe up to the throttle body...i am not sure how the intake filer would work, but i would be curious to look at the turbo cars to see how they run it.....

i wouldn't expect it to make gobs of power as you said they are completely different engines, however if they are gaining about 100 hp on about 5 psi on a supercharger, 5 psi on a turbo i would suspect make more to the ground....i wouldn't think you would want to go much over 5 psi, due to the high compression of the engine....

where does the $20k cost come from? i don't see how 2 turbos a bov, wastegates, injectors, a tune and some pipes welded up would be 20k.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
There is a twin turbo kit for the Boxster and there are kits in the design stage for the Cayman.

I would like to see a aftermarket turbo kit for the 996, I think it would be intresting.
In 2008 my Boxster project should be somewhat complete and a 996 project will start. I am debating between a high horsepower 996tt or a stripped out supercharged 996.
If there was a turbo kit for the 996 I would look into it.

Do you guys know off the top of your head what horsepower number guys are getting from non TT 996s??

Thanks

Old 12-28-2007, 11:34 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
so they didn't make much power? strange, turbos usually make more than a supercharger because the supercharger is belt driven.....i don't see how a turbo would be less reliable than a supercharger, they are both forced induction, unless it was because of the increased low end tq...but there is a roots bower kit out there, so i don't know what the difference would be....

i sure do understand the space issue, but it seems like you could replace each muffler pretty easy with a turbo...turbos muffle exhaust sound fairly well....it wouldn't be whisper quiet, but it seems like it would be fairly easy to remove the mufflers, weld on 2 fittings and run the intake pipe up to the throttle body...i am not sure how the intake filer would work, but i would be curious to look at the turbo cars to see how they run it.....

i wouldn't expect it to make gobs of power as you said they are completely different engines, however if they are gaining about 100 hp on about 5 psi on a supercharger, 5 psi on a turbo i would suspect make more to the ground....i wouldn't think you would want to go much over 5 psi, due to the high compression of the engine....

where does the $20k cost come from? i don't see how 2 turbos a bov, wastegates, injectors, a tune and some pipes welded up would be 20k.

Well there is more to it than that. If it was that simple, just slapping a few turbos on a car would be a super easy way to throw a bunch of HP at any car right? wrong. First you have to physically find a way to stuff 2 turbos in a very cramped engine bay already. How about intake and cooling? You forgot those. IF you can get the turbos in there, you would need a way to cool them, so either a completely different cooling system or tap into the existing system. Intakes, the TT uses intakes in the fenders, where would they be on a NA 996? So you got all that solved, then you have to program the engine...oh wait, high compression NA engines and Turbos usually dont work..so to do it right you gotta reduce the compression of the engine...now you have completely changed how the engine works, you gotta reprogram the ECU...now that you have all that done, what effect on reliability and drivability do you have? Gotta test it right? Well thats what those guys were charging 20k for...TIME in development and at the end of the day...no one figured out how to do it better than Porsche. So everyone would take the 20k for the kit, and sell the 996 and get a 996TT. Making the kit useless.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Cool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the rough
Evo did a kit before the supercharger... it was on their website before. They said that they got better power from the SC and the cost to do the turbo was close to 30k. So, it was a slamdunk for them to pursue the SC.

Maybe one of the evo guys can elaborate into this... been a while since I read that page about it on their website.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:38 AM
The Boxster kit from Turbowerks for the 2.5L.

"TurboWerx is the first and only source for a complete Boxster turbo upgrade. This user-installable kit is designed to seamlessly add 65+rwhp, 66+ ft-lbs to any 2.5L Boxster*"

$7K plus installation for 65hp.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
These guys make a kit....It looked like they were $20k US, but they have US contacts...

http://www.t-t-p.de/english/porsche.php

Maybe you can email them...they have complete kits for 996s. I would be interested in finding out what a complete kit runs after installation.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
I have the Turbowerx kit installed on my 99 Boxster.

Attached you will see my stock dyno and my turboed dyno I got the 60ish horsepower increase with a large amount of low end tourqe.

The turbo is intercooled and I am running 6 psi.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Gary in BR; 01-02-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:31 PM
THE BIG TOE is infamous around these parts
I have been lurking for years and am coming out on this thread because I had the exact same questions and decided I wanted something different than the s/c options out there.

I have a 2000 996 I am running 7 psi on a home built single turbo mounted in the pass rear fender and dumping out the turbo into a single tip. The intercooler mounts under the GT3 rear wing but I am working on air to water so that may change.

I am running a walpro fuel pump, boost controlled fuel pressure regulator, nissan maf sensor, and controlling the fuel and spark thru a Greddy emanage pro. I have maxed out the stock injectors and am changing them out with 60 psi ones to reduce the duty cycle. I am also thinking about a stand alone ecu for complete adjustability.

It makes 447 rwhp at 7 psi on a dynojet dyno. I also have a 100 shot wet kit nitrous on it for those extra occasions.

I am having some oil leakage issue even though I have a catch can. I have 92k miles on the engine and no problems with it internally. The nos has been on for 3 years and the turbo for about 2 years.

I have some little tuning related issues that are giving me fits (ie, idles sometime, wont idle others, sometimes wont rev past 6400 sometimes will)
but eventually it will get work out.

I have about 2000.00 in the whole setup and it will spin the tires at 80 mph with no nitrous.

Here is a small pic of the car. I need to get some bigger ones.

O.k. Real reason I was posting is I have read on here a solution for RMS issues. I have replaced mine several times but I know someone posted on here once about retrofitting a GT3 or GT2 setup to prevent future issues.

Anyone have a link or remember the deal?

Thanks ahead of time.

Yes I have a shop and my own Dynojet 224xLC but this is not my normal work. My normal day is made up of brake jobs, timing belts, and oil changes on daily drivers.

Tony Moore
Village Automotive
281-516-7628

Old 01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by THE BIG TOE
I have been lurking for years and am coming out on this thread because I had the exact same questions and decided I wanted something different than the s/c options out there.

I have a 2000 996 I am running 7 psi on a home built single turbo mounted in the pass rear fender and dumping out the turbo into a single tip. The intercooler mounts under the GT3 rear wing but I am working on air to water so that may change.

I am running a walpro fuel pump, boost controlled fuel pressure regulator, nissan maf sensor, and controlling the fuel and spark thru a Greddy emanage pro. I have maxed out the stock injectors and am changing them out with 60 psi ones to reduce the duty cycle. I am also thinking about a stand alone ecu for complete adjustability.

It makes 447 rwhp at 7 psi on a dynojet dyno. I also have a 100 shot wet kit nitrous on it for those extra occasions.

I am having some oil leakage issue even though I have a catch can. I have 92k miles on the engine and no problems with it internally. The nos has been on for 3 years and the turbo for about 2 years.

I have some little tuning related issues that are giving me fits (ie, idles sometime, wont idle others, sometimes wont rev past 6400 sometimes will)
but eventually it will get work out.

I have about 2000.00 in the whole setup and it will spin the tires at 80 mph with no nitrous.

Here is a small pic of the car. I need to get some bigger ones.

O.k. Real reason I was posting is I have read on here a solution for RMS issues. I have replaced mine several times but I know someone posted on here once about retrofitting a GT3 or GT2 setup to prevent future issues.

Anyone have a link or remember the deal?

Thanks ahead of time.

Yes I have a shop and my own Dynojet 224xLC but this is not my normal work. My normal day is made up of brake jobs, timing belts, and oil changes on daily drivers.

Tony Moore
Village Automotive
281-516-7628
You are dreaming if you actually come close to those numbers in the REAL world. Your dyno chart is ok for keyboard racings, but little else. You also need better tires is you can spin them at 80 mph, regardless of how powerful you think your engine is.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 01-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
THE BIG TOE is infamous around these parts
You are correct, my life is a dream --- unlike yours which must be pretty miserable to make you sit back and call people you don't even know liars about things you obviously know nothing about.

The phone number to my shop is on the original post along with my name unlike you sitting back spewing bull**** behind a screen name.

I am sure you would like to get out of Chicago area right about now due to the weather, why don't you come to sunny Texas and I'll put my money where your mouth is and then you can come on here and apologize in public for making an *** out of yourself.

Tony Moore

The real reason I was posting was to find out about the RMS problem and I hapopened to run across the above thread.

I am still looking for the RMS info if anyone knows.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aftermarket turbo kit