996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Removing Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Removing Wheel Spacers

Hello Everyone, so the time has come to switch shoes, but having a problem removing the spacers as they simply won't budge.

I've tried tapping the edges to no avail along with applying slight WD-40, however nothing.

Suggestions please

Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 AM
mhemperly is infamous around these parts
Hit them with a rubber mallot!.... You did take the set screw out, right?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:05 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mhemperly
Hit them with a rubber mallot!.... You did take the set screw out, right?
+1, worst case pry it off with a screw driver and rubber mallet!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Yep removed the single screw and tapped the edges but nothing. My main concern is damaging the piece that the spacer is attached to.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM
mhemperly is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Exlondoner
Yep removed the single screw and tapped the edges but nothing. My main concern is damaging the piece that the spacer is attached to.
you wont hert it with a rubber mallot!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 AM
911Spdstr is infamous around these parts
Single screw.!? Are you removing the rotor hub? Most spacer either comes complete with 5 studs and lock nuts or longer wheel bolts straight thru (never seen it with a single screw anywhere)...

Post a pic.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:28 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 911Spdstr
Single screw.!? Are you removing the rotor hub? Most spacer either comes complete with 5 studs and lock nuts or longer wheel bolts straight thru (never seen it with a single screw anywhere)...

Post a pic.
Thinner hubcentric spacers like H&R come with a single small screw that can screw counter-sunk into the hub......many people throw em away.....but they make lug line-up a tad easier when mounting wheels.

Exlondoner........the technical consensus here seems to be.......hit it harder.
A short flathead aimed between the hub and the spacer with a 'sharp crack' should do the trick.

Last edited by GreggT; 12-31-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:50 PM
911Spdstr is infamous around these parts
I guess I should check mine - H&R 18mm hubcentric spacers - didn't even see a countersink slot for the screw (line them up to the hole and they stay on tight)...

Good luck.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
ok chaps, let me go back to the garage later today, I will post my results, and thanks!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Also, put a little copper anti-sieze stuff on there when you put them back on and it will make it much easier next time!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Spray a little penetrating oil - set overnite
then pound with rubber mallot