996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

aftermarket stereo installed - PrObLeMs!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM
johnnytaboo is infamous around these parts
aftermarket stereo installed - PrObLeMs!!

Hello all,

I got a Jensen in dash DVD player for x-mas and had it installed by the guys at Circut City. Asthetically they did a great job; however, now I have NO bass response from my speakers!!

Help! I assume they've bypassed my factory amp, but why would the speakers crap out like that.

Again, please help. I have little to no knowledge concerning stereo systems and audi equipment (....unless you consider free-flowing mufflers audio equipment.... which I kinda do )

thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays to all!

John Y.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
Do U Have A Bass Control? If You Turn It Up And Cant Tell The Diffrence.. It May Be The Unit Itself.. Or Just Not Enough Power.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnnytaboo
Hello all,

I got a Jensen in dash DVD player for x-mas and had it installed by the guys at Circut City. Asthetically they did a great job; however, now I have NO bass response from my speakers!!

Help! I assume they've bypassed my factory amp, but why would the speakers crap out like that.

Again, please help. I have little to no knowledge concerning stereo systems and audi equipment (....unless you consider free-flowing mufflers audio equipment.... which I kinda do )

thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays to all!

John Y.
No clue, as there is no way of knowing what they did. I would go back to them and ask them these questions...I also would NEVER let a Circuit City guy install anything in my car...there is far too much for them to mess up. Just curious, is your alarm working correctly or is it going off by itself and beeping the horn when you arm it? Also the sound quality of the Jensen will probably be WORSE than the stock radio. If they just bypassed the amp, then there could be an impedance mismatch as the stock system is like 3 ohms and most radios wanna see 4 ohms...

Old 12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
waipahu996 is infamous around these parts
Return the Jensen, and get a Kenwood or Alpine. Also if you're upgrading from the stock unit, you should upgrade your amp too. Alpine makes a compact size digital amp that easily fits in the Porsche. I have the Alpine PDX 4.150 (4 x 150w amp). It's smaller than a CD changer.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM
johnnytaboo is infamous around these parts
Thanks guys.

I know the Jensen isn't exactly high-end, but it was my x-mas gift from momma, and I don't want to be rude (she was very proud of her purchase). The unit is nice (with the DVD capability, touch screen, and the kewl little media input center now mounted under the passenger side) and I have no complaints with it other than after the installation I have zero bass response from my speakers.

Short of a complete swap-out / upgrade, are there any other solutions to my dillema? Would upgrading the amp give my speakers back their oomph?

Thanks again!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnnytaboo
Thanks guys.

I know the Jensen isn't exactly high-end, but it was my x-mas gift from momma, and I don't want to be rude (she was very proud of her purchase). The unit is nice (with the DVD capability, touch screen, and the kewl little media input center now mounted under the passenger side) and I have no complaints with it other than after the installation I have zero bass response from my speakers.

Short of a complete swap-out / upgrade, are there any other solutions to my dillema? Would upgrading the amp give my speakers back their oomph?

Thanks again!
Dude, TAKE IT BACK. It could be the install. It could be a bad unit. It could be the unit has bad specs and sounds bad. If they just wired the speakers to the head unit, you are operating at the wrong impedance. If you exchange the gift simply say, that one doesnt work with the Porsche wiring, so I had to get a different one. Done. She wont be offended. Trying to fix a bad or incorrect install is throwing good money after bad. The first step should be a return to the installer and asking how it was installed. They could be trying to run a high level speaker line into a line level input on your amp. That would reduce your bass dramatically. But no one here can tell because its impossible to know what they did. Porsches are not just like the Honda or Nissan in the audio department...so you may need to find an installer in your area that knows Porsches.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:32 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Which factory sound system do you have in the 996? There are 2 or 3 versions and that might help us give you some info.

1. Base system - no door speakers and the door panels have open storage areas instead. The head unit powers the speakers directly with no amp. If they ran separate wires to the speakers (which they didn't need to) they might have bypassed the crossovers.

2. Hi-Fi package - has door speakers

3. I think there is one more level with DSP buttons in the center console in front of the shifter.

I would imagine you have the DSP package or the Hi-Fi sound package with separate amp. Even then it's a little wierd because I think the amp is split into 4 speaker channels (LF, RF, RR, LR) and not into separate high/mid outputs for each speaker. A sub was not an option in the pre '02 cars.

My guess is that your head unit has a built in sub output with crossover. If it's turned on, your mains will be high pass only and bass freqs will be directed to the sub outputs. Read your manual and look for a subwoofer output or level control. Turn it off if you are not running a separate sub and your main speakers will get full range sound again. Newport is absolutely right though, without knowing what they did there is no way to help you.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 12-31-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 PM
waipahu996 is infamous around these parts
I would have to agree with Newport996. Return the Jensen, and tell your mom it's not compatible with the Porsche. You're better off with a stock system, than a messed up install.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
as for your alarm, i have the same issue, it's a wire that needs to be grounded. i don't have the patience to remove my stereo, so everytime i arm, i get the confirmation horn hunk.
it's kind of cool now.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by yellowbmr
as for your alarm, i have the same issue, it's a wire that needs to be grounded. i don't have the patience to remove my stereo, so everytime i arm, i get the confirmation horn hunk.
it's kind of cool now.
More accurately its a wire that needs to be removed from the old radio chassis. It may be cool, but it can randomly trigger false alarms as the car thinks the radio is gone. Happened to me for about a month...every time the wind blew hard my alarm went off.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by newport996
Dude, TAKE IT BACK. It could be the install. It could be a bad unit. It could be the unit has bad specs and sounds bad. If they just wired the speakers to the head unit, you are operating at the wrong impedance. If you exchange the gift simply say, that one doesnt work with the Porsche wiring, so I had to get a different one. Done. She wont be offended. Trying to fix a bad or incorrect install is throwing good money after bad. The first step should be a return to the installer and asking how it was installed. They could be trying to run a high level speaker line into a line level input on your amp. That would reduce your bass dramatically. But no one here can tell because its impossible to know what they did. Porsches are not just like the Honda or Nissan in the audio department...so you may need to find an installer in your area that knows Porsches.
agreed, she wont be offended and not waste her money...

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
yep, take it back.

i upgraded with a becker unit (monza) that looks OEM. upgraded the speakers with a new amp/crossovers. also added a powered bazooka tube (8") behind the seats.......all for less than $700.

G/L

Old 01-01-2008, 02:10 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
your first mistake was taking your PORSCHE to CIRCUIT CITY!!! OMG! You crazy man??? Ugh....

I would return the headunit and find a QUALIFIED place that knows Porsches etc and can give you a nice install. CC is good for Ford Tauruses and Honda Civics...not your bad *** Porsche!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:37 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by newport996
More accurately its a wire that needs to be removed from the old radio chassis. It may be cool, but it can randomly trigger false alarms as the car thinks the radio is gone. Happened to me for about a month...every time the wind blew hard my alarm went off.
Tell me more about this wire. I had my system completely redone recently. I got the beep when arming. I assumed it the alarm noticing the head unit was no longer there. I figured it was something the dealer would have to reprogram. I guess I was wrong. So what is the deal with this wire? FWIW, no false alarms since the beep started.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
yea, i would like to know about this wire too!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aftermarket stereo installed - PrObLeMs!!