996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Is there a safe way to get all four corners up on jack stands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
if someone did. I don't think they would admit to doing so.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Lerxst is infamous around these parts
I will be doing this for the first time pretty soon.

The back end, I'll be using the center lift point on the engine and putting in the stands on the sides.

For the front, I'm still a little confused.

Don refers to a front center crossmember and using a 2x4. Is this a safe way to get the front up on stands?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Give us a pic of your jack stand locations dep dog....
It's time for me to bleed the brakes and I'd like to have them all off at once.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Jack it up on the rear jack point and the front will lift also. Just jack it up high enough so you can fit the jack stand under the front jack point. Do the other side the same way, then jack the rear as stated earlier in this thread. Takes 10 minutes tops.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Mitchell Sack is infamous around these parts
can't be done.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deckman
Jack it up on the rear jack point and the front will lift also. Just jack it up high enough so you can fit the jack stand under the front jack point. Do the other side the same way, then jack the rear as stated earlier in this thread. Takes 10 minutes tops.

Thats all dependent, I don't see anyway in lifting the front high enough (and SAFELY ) to fit stands upfront.

I would never try this on my car.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:09 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
See the step by step instructions with pics on RennTech:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...wtopic=3404&hl

Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 AM
west coast is infamous around these parts
Go onto Renntech .org or Rennlist.com I can't remember which one sorry, but there is a really good thread on there on this subject.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:33 AM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Never Jack from the engine

I've heard it was safe and have seen tons of guys do it at the track, BUT I've been advised against it by a great mechanic. I never jacked mine from the engine and at 70K mi - no rms. His reason was the engine and trans are linked and a support each other. Any strain could induce a tiny bit of misaglignment, even a few thousands, and aggrivate the RMS. I always use my Bendpak P6 Lift or a side jackpoint. Just my 2cents.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
I would be impossible to get a misalignment as the engine case and transmission are aligned by dowel pins. The dowel pin design prevents any movement whatsoever.
This is from an engineering point of view.