996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Preserving codes during battery switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
JonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to behold
Preserving codes during battery switch

Tried searching for this but missed it. Sorry if it's a repeat . . .

Is there a way to keep the radio codes while I put in a new battery? Perhaps using the cigarette lighter battery maintainer would work while the battery was being changed. Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
What year is your car?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
JonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to behold
thanks--2003 996 C4S

Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Dscott is infamous around these parts
I saw a dealer change a battery on a Porsche 996 w/o having to reset anything. They did this by having the engine running while the battery was replaced. They told me that the trick was keeping the rev's up to at least 3K RPM's while the battery was swapped quickly. Obviously this took two guys. The one handling the battery was 'standing' in the trunk and he had the new battery setting in the trunk ready.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks much, but I'm not that brave!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 PM
MECHAM is infamous around these parts
DO NOT - DO NOT - DO NOT - disconnect the battery with the engine running. It will cause a power surge and could blow expensive electronic components. So I heard..but ya...to each his own.

pair of jumper leads. Connect the jumper leads to the battery terminals you are removing and to a second battery along side the car ( pos to pos and neg to neg).
You can now remove the car battery keeping the jumper leads connected to the car terminals.
It is easier to remove battery clamps (retainers) and loosen terminals before connecting jumper leads.
Be very careful that the jumper leads or terminals do not short to ground or each other, wrapping a piece of rag around them would help solve this.
Re fit the new battery and connect terminals before disconnecting the jumper leads
Job done, no loss of codes or memories.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JonC4S
thanks--2003 996 C4S
For 2003 you have MOST, PCM2 so you don't need radio codes (they are stored in the DME)...There is nothing you really need to save anything (radio stations, any changes you made to the display). I have removed the battery several times without losing anything of value.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
For 2003 you have MOST, PCM2 so you don't need radio codes (they are stored in the DME)...There is nothing you really need to save anything (radio stations, any changes you made to the display). I have removed the battery several times without losing anything of value.
Super! Thanks! I do not have the radio or PCM2 codes, or serial numbers, so I would have had to have them pulled to reset.
Jon

Last edited by JonC4S; 01-14-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
my dealer is swapping out my battery this week so lets see if they charge for recoding!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
CaRJoE0220 is infamous around these partsCaRJoE0220 is infamous around these parts
From what I was told.....

The radio (along with other components) has there own aux power sources that take a little bit of time to go dead. I haven't tried it but do you really just instantly lose the battery code once you disconnect the battery? I would assume if you replaced the battery within like 10 minutes it should be fine.

IF NOT
just call your dealer on the phone and talk to the service person. Tell them the info on your radio (serial # + model #s or whatever) which can be access right from the radio by holding down a button. Then tell them those numbers, they will call you back in about 10 minutes with the code. At least thats how easy it was for me.

Also I believe on beckers website there is a form u fill out and they send you your code..... not as easy as just making a quick phone call

Good Luck

Old 01-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks, CarJ...

Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM
rustman is infamous around these parts
I have an 03 4S and changed my battery a few months ago. I just took the old one out and put the new one in without having to reset anything. Didn't keep power to the system at all; hope this helps?

Rusty

Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Someone told me to plug in the battery maintainer, I've also seen something at walmart that runs on AA batteries and plugs in the cig lighter to keep the stored codes intact.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by rustman
I have an 03 4S and changed my battery a few months ago. I just took the old one out and put the new one in without having to reset anything. Didn't keep power to the system at all; hope this helps?

Rusty
Thanks--nothing beats a reply from someone with the same car! Just for my info, what battery did you go with?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 PM
CaRJoE0220 is infamous around these partsCaRJoE0220 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rustman

Rusty
So I guess I was right. The radio or accessories hold a little charge in them for a while.

I learned this while talking to a guy from K&N about the proper way to install the intake (not destroy my MAF) He stated to disconnect the battery and leave it off for an hour to let the ecu lose all power and reset itself when power was brought back. This was because if u install the intake and have the additional air going to the MAF without resetting it will think something is wrong and thats where the issue is. Instead now it relearns and thinks the extra air is normal

Just thought I would share

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Preserving codes during battery switch