996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody has anything bad to say about warranty direct?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 AM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Anybody has anything bad to say about warranty direct?

My car is getting to be out of the warranty in about 4 month. I'd like to get an extended warranty, since I'm going to keep it for another 2-3 years and want to minimize financial liability. My local, san anotnio, porsche dealer sells extended warranty policies. However, I might be moving to Dallas and neither of Dallas porsche dealer have heard about the policy underwriter that local dealer sells.

Now, according to Warranty Direct sale's monkey, they've worked with all three dealers and they are also a bit cheaper.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:13 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Warranty direct is decent. They are a competitor of mine. You can check our price/plan to compare. I think you'll find that most dealerships can work with any warranty company. They put them through a similar process.
http://www.insurancepoliciesonline.c..._warranty.html

Old 01-19-2008, 01:24 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mathism
Warranty direct is decent. They are a competitor of mine. You can check our price/plan to compare. I think you'll find that most dealerships can work with any warranty company. They put them through a similar process.
http://www.insurancepoliciesonline.c..._warranty.html

Interesting. Your prices are indeed lower than the quote I got from WD. I guess the question I have to ask is whether you guys have had any repairs authorized with my porsche dealer e.g. San Antonio Porsche.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 PM
bk12 is infamous around these parts
I would do a search. It seems that from past posts on various boards every company is hit or miss. I don't know that I have seen one of the major companies with ALL positive stories...

Old 01-19-2008, 02:03 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
PeterK - I can't tell you if we've had any claims from a Porsche dealer in the SA area. Chances are not. I think you'll find that the claim process is pretty simple for the dealers. They submit the estimate to the claim adjuster, the adjuster returns an approval for covered items, when the work is complete they pay the dealer over the phone w/ a credit card. The process should be almost the same with the dealer's own warranty plan, warranty direct or our plan.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
kbliew is infamous around these parts
i have warranty direct , 4 years 50k miles 0 deductable "bumper to bumper" warranty for $2500. i filed 3 claims in the first year (back in 06), 2x RMS and once to replace the seat heater. Overall quite satisfied and the repair cost is more than what i paid for the warranty already. i took my car to Carlsen porsche and the dealership took care of all the paperwork and i didnt even have to call. Too bad they stopped selling warranty to CA, or else i'll get an extended warranty for my other car.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
blinkwatt is infamous around these parts
Look on 986forum.com a member had coverage denied on his engine after it blew.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:43 PM
bruceinmiami is infamous around these parts
i did a search with the BBB before deciding, and ended up with a company that had a very positive resolution record here in FLA.

go with BBB for these things. i haven't had any claims in the 8 months of ownership-so no expeerience.

Last edited by bruceinmiami; 01-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 PM
blinkwatt is infamous around these parts
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 PM
delirium is infamous around these parts
warrantydirect is offerng service in CA again. how are they if my car is modified? specifically, muffler bypass & PSS9 coilovers? Will they void their coverage w/ these mods?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by delirium
warrantydirect is offerng service in CA again. how are they if my car is modified? specifically, muffler bypass & PSS9 coilovers? Will they void their coverage w/ these mods?
i noticed they do offer to california again, but when I put in my year and make, they only allow boxsters.... no carreras. .WTF?!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Generally speaking, modifications should NOT void your aftermarket warranty. The modified part itself is usually never covered. However, if you have a muffler bypass and your fuel pump dies, the pump should still be covered. The only time a mod should cause a warranty issue is if the failure is directly related to the modification. With the exception of a super charger, most of the typical bolt on mods are not going to add to the stress of other components. The final 2 considerations are that 1) the warranty company will never know about your mods unless they inspect the vehicle or the repair shop tells them (so know your mechanic) and 2) if they do a pre-inspection and the mods are in place, it could be argued they accepted the vehicle with the mods and no coverage should be declined as an indirect result of the mods. A BIG caveat here -- these comments are very dependent upon the language of your warranty contract and applicable state laws.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:02 PM
99C2 is infamous around these parts
mathism : I may have to contact you when my warranty expires 1.5 years from now. Ummmm.

99C2