996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Hate my notchy short shifter, anyone ever go back to factory shifter from a ssk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM
asifallasleep is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996CABOVA
Alot of guys are putting the 997 GT3 shifter in. It fits in the 996 and its a little shorter than stock and its supposed to be WAY smoother than a B&M SSK. Its only $160 at Suncoast. Check it out, doesnt hurt to try it.
i checked on the Suncoast website and the factory ssk was $420. where did you see it for $160?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
Hey, Yes some do! As the air temp drops it takes longer for the gear box and oil to get up to temp. What oil is in your trans axle, may be to heavy. Does the car shift the same in the summer heat.I hope this helps.
Here to help,
Tim
It gets a little better as the car warms up but it is still notchy. i have to be extremely precise when shifting with the most difficult gear being 4th. At times i avoid 4th gear completely.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Big E is infamous around these parts
B&M makes the OEM SSK for Porsche I was told. So it should be the same.

Mine was nothchy at first, and really hard to get into reverse. I had to adjust several times to get just right. Now I love it and wouldn't be without it. I can't recommend them enough, but adjustment is crucial and makes the slightest change can make a big difference.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Big E
B&M makes the OEM SSK for Porsche I was told. So it should be the same.

Mine was nothchy at first, and really hard to get into reverse. I had to adjust several times to get just right. Now I love it and wouldn't be without it. I can't recommend them enough, but adjustment is crucial and makes the slightest change can make a big difference.
hey big e, how do you adjust it?

Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I have the issue of hard to get in reverse and 1st when its cold. Would love to get rid of that... what is the trick to finding the right cable position? I did mark mine prior to removing the original shifter as per the instructions.

David

Old 01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Yeah, I have the issue of hard to get in reverse and 1st when its cold. Would love to get rid of that... what is the trick to finding the right cable position? I did mark mine prior to removing the original shifter as per the instructions.

David
hey david, i got the following info from daytrader on here:

You need to remove the center rear console out completely. Look and see if it's an aftermarket shifter. If not, it could be undercar shift kit. There is a snap-on black plastic cover on top the two cables, remove it. Now, look below the shifter you will see the shift link. Adjust by turn and play with the plastic end with spring. Make sure you mark with nail polish the current setting so you know where is the original point.

Test drive without install the console. If for any reasons it's still not properly shift in gear then you need to adjust from the bottom of the car. Now that I haven't done one. GL!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
"I checked on the Suncoast website and the factory ssk was $420. where did you see it for $160?"

It's not the SSK, it's the GT3 shifter. The GT3 shifter has a shorter throw then the standard shifter.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
bk12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Onetime
"I checked on the Suncoast website and the factory ssk was $420. where did you see it for $160?"

It's not the SSK, it's the GT3 shifter. The GT3 shifter has a shorter throw then the standard shifter.
+1

The $160 shifter is the stock "standard" shifter for all 997 models (GT3, Turbo, Carrera)...about 13% shorter than the throws on the stock 996 setup by my measurements.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
triple_nickel is infamous around these parts
Just installed the B&M on my 03 996TT. Definately an improvement over stock but I need to get used to it. Stock was so sloppy, not what I would have expect on a high end sports car. I see that EVO sells some billet shift linkage. Not sure if it makes any difference other than reliability.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
renntech.org has been discussing the "proper" wa of adjusting the short shift kit... do a search.... there are a billion replies with some fairly positive info..especially for 997 owners

Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
This thread indicates to me that many of you with SSK's do not have the cables adjusted corectly or at a optimum setting. When I installed my B&M SSK I also had similar experience. But upon readjusting the cables the notchiness is eleviated and shifts are smooth as silk. The only issue is when thew car is cold in winter and it takes a little while for the oil to come up to temp. Once up to temp it is perfect....

Go get your cables adjusted folks. Stock stinks

Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
so what is the correct method towards adjusting these cables?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
Hey, Yes some do! As the air temp drops it takes longer for the gear box and oil to get up to temp. What oil is in your trans axle, may be to heavy. Does the car shift the same in the summer heat.I hope this helps.
Here to help,
Tim
Hey Tim,

Something amazing happened this morning. The temp in nyc was 40+ and i could actually find 4th gear quite easily as well as the other gears. I mean it was still a bit notchy, but a million times better. So i think you are correct with the weight of the oil in my trans axle being too heavy. What weight should I get? Is it expensive to change? Should this be a seasonal change? I am also looking at putting th 997 GT3 stock shifter into my car. I have a 03 996. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Exlondoner
so what is the correct method towards adjusting these cables?

One is to reinstall your stock shifter and use the Porsche cable aligning tool (I don’t have the part number but it is a $4.00 plastic thing that snaps on to the cables. It will not fit over the B&M unit, so you have to use the stock shifter) to rest the cables in the proper location. Then MARK THEM very accurately. Those little grooves are very small and very close together and just one notch off will make a difference. I recommend painting over the cable ends with a light dusting of paint or nail polish. Lining them up later is very easy that way.

After you get the SSK back on and tightened up, leave it exposed and road test te car. If it shifts smoothly put it all back together. If not, you need to closely examine where you marked the cables and see where you could go up or down a notch. There will be some trial and error, but getting it right in the end really pays off. I love mine.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by John Romano
One is to reinstall your stock shifter and use the Porsche cable aligning tool (I don’t have the part number but it is a $4.00 plastic thing that snaps on to the cables. It will not fit over the B&M unit, so you have to use the stock shifter) to rest the cables in the proper location. Then MARK THEM very accurately. Those little grooves are very small and very close together and just one notch off will make a difference. I recommend painting over the cable ends with a light dusting of paint or nail polish. Lining them up later is very easy that way.

After you get the SSK back on and tightened up, leave it exposed and road test te car. If it shifts smoothly put it all back together. If not, you need to closely examine where you marked the cables and see where you could go up or down a notch. There will be some trial and error, but getting it right in the end really pays off. I love mine.
Excellent, that does make perfect sense. I did however mark the points off with some very light nail polish so it seems i could work from there to get the throws a shorter.

So from what i understand even changing by one notch should make a day and night difference correct?

Thanks again John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hate my notchy short shifter, anyone ever go back to factory shifter from a ssk