996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Hate my notchy short shifter, anyone ever go back to factory shifter from a ssk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Adjustment of the cables are everything on these cars, with or with out SSK.On my 04 I had to make a few adjustment over time, when i installed my SSK the car was BRAND new.The SSK is the only way to drive this car, but others really don't like it.I think its due to improper cable adjustment.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
asifallasleep is infamous around these parts
changed my transaxle oil today and car shifts better but not as smooth as i'd like. am going to have to adjust the cables if i can figure it out. i know i am supposed to remove the console, but i've seen on some sites where i need a special tool? how do i change the cable alignment? by hand, turning a screw or plastic housing or something? why did the dealer tell me t was 3 hours labor to install the 997 stock shifter into my car? At $175 and hour. wtf? i thought it was a fairly simple job.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by asifallasleep
why did the dealer tell me t was 3 hours labor to install the 997 stock shifter into my car? At $175 and hour. wtf? i thought it was a fairly simple job.

They love raping you thats why. My advice is to give it a go yourself - it's very simple and just take your time, if-not search for a reputable indy close to you.

I'm going to be adjusting the cables today bu a notch or two which should clear up the throw issues that I've been experiencing but i don't expect any improvement in smoothness.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Exlondoner
They love raping you thats why. My advice is to give it a go yourself - it's very simple and just take your time, if-not search for a reputable indy close to you.

I'm going to be adjusting the cables today bu a notch or two which should clear up the throw issues that I've been experiencing but i don't expect any improvement in smoothness.
how do you adjust the cables. someone said:

look below the shifter you will see the shift link. Adjust by turn and play with the plastic end with spring.

is this it? with my fingers?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Yeah, I have the issue of hard to get in reverse and 1st when its cold. Would love to get rid of that... what is the trick to finding the right cable position? I did mark mine prior to removing the original shifter as per the instructions.

David
Hey David try changing the transaxle or gear oil. i had it done today at pep boys for $75. The gears have never felt better. even in the cold. 75w90 mobil 1 gear oil. I was at 60k so it was time to change the gear oil anyway. It's so cheap you should do it.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
on cold days its a ***** to put it into first gear!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jstrat85
on cold days its a ***** to put it into first gear!
agreed!! everything tuns good when warm..EXCEPT 3rd gets notchy...or easier to F-up once i run the car harder...this could be adjustment issue...but i am worried about adjusting for just one gear... and affecting the others.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by silver_6r
agreed!! everything tuns good when warm..EXCEPT 3rd gets notchy...or easier to F-up once i run the car harder...this could be adjustment issue...but i am worried about adjusting for just one gear... and affecting the others.
yeah itz nutty cus all my gears are fine except for 4th gear where the throw in the gear is way short. trying to find out how to adjust the cables once i get the console off

Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
that's a screw job in my opinion. RUF installed mine and they charged for 2 hours of labor and it works perfectly (115/hr).

changed my transaxle oil today and car shifts better but not as smooth as i'd like. am going to have to adjust the cables if i can figure it out. i know i am supposed to remove the console, but i've seen on some sites where i need a special tool? how do i change the cable alignment? by hand, turning a screw or plastic housing or something? why did the dealer tell me t was 3 hours labor to install the 997 stock shifter into my car? At $175 and hour. wtf? i thought it was a fairly simple job.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
how do you adjust the cables. someone said:

look below the shifter you will see the shift link. Adjust by turn and play with the plastic end with spring.

is this it? with my fingers?
If you guys find shift adjustment tool for the B&M, please share. I have not been able to locate one. Adjustment has to be done with the stck shifter in place with the porsche tool.

Lots of threads on at Renntech.org on this.

jorge

Old 02-01-2008, 02:15 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
As I posted earlier in this thread:

Reinstall your stock shifter and use the Porsche cable aligning tool (I don’t have the part number but it is a $4.00 plastic thing that snaps on to the cables. It will not fit over the B&M unit, so you have to use the stock shifter) to rest the cables in the proper location. Then MARK THEM very accurately. Those little grooves are very small and very close together and just one notch off will make a difference. I recommend painting over the cable ends with a light dusting of paint or nail polish. Lining them up later is very easy that way.

Then reinstall the SSK. Line the cables up with you marks very carefully and you should be good.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 AM
autobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura about
great advise... I've been wanting to try a short shifter, this site is great.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:19 AM
blinkwatt is infamous around these parts
Does anyone have the part no. for the aligning tool and how it's supposed to be used?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Does anyone have the part no. for the aligning tool and how it's supposed to be used?
from what i understand there are possibly FOUR different tools depending on car model and shifter model... so it is best to talk the dealer.... BUT more importantly read through the info on renntech....

Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
well i changed my trans axle oil and just bought the 997 GT3 stock shifter for my 03 996 today. I may try to install myself or have it done. i hope the mis-shifts, notchy feel, and increasing difficulty with 4th gear not going into gear at times become a thing of the past. Praying it's just cable adjustment, stock shifter and not synchronizer. Pray for me guys. If it's the synchronizer this things has got to go and it will back to BMW. Spent 8K on repairs on this thing since May.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hate my notchy short shifter, anyone ever go back to factory shifter from a ssk