996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Will this system work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 AM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
Will this system work?

I've Narrowed My options down to two reasonably priced audio systems that should work.

Option A
Front Components: Focal Access 100 CA1 - 4" Mid with Tweeters
Doors: Focal Polyglass 165 CVX 6.5"
Rear Components: Move the stock front components to the rear for fill
Amp: Alpine PDX 4.150
Run each speaker on its own channel and drive the rears off the deck.

Option B
Front Components: Alpine SP-107R
Doors: Alpine Type-S 6.5"
Rears: Same as above (maybe add another set of SP's in the rear down the road)
AMP: Same as above
Same setup once again pretty much.

anything wrong with these or rather is there something that won't work?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Why move the fronts to the rear, the OEM fronts and rears are the same. The focal 100 CA will fit the fronts, use the frames from the stock speakers to hold in the new ones, there are lots of posts showing how to do this. I used the Focal 100KP's for mine, thei difference is that the 100CA is a coaxial, with the tweeter mounted on the mid whiloe the 100KP has seperate tweeters, as to the stocks. I thinks the 100CA will still clear the stock speaker grilles. The 6.5" for the doors will require some modification, the stock speakers are only 5.25", I used focal 5WS, which are no longer made, now you could use the 13KS or 13WS, however I am not sure about the depth of these alternatives. The enclosures in the doors are pretty shallow (assuming you have the Hi-Fi option for door speakers). There are some guys who have used 6.5" speakers in the doors, check with newport996, he did it. Make sure whatever you use in the doors are a true Sub, I started with a set of mids and they where not nearly as good. I used a JL audio E6450 6 channel amp so that I had seperate channels for the door subs. Sounds great now. Still using the stock head unit so the radio is not as good, but the CD sounds great. Some guys start with a new head unit, but anything played through the stock speakers will never sound good. Speakers first, then amp, last should be the head unit. My 2 cents worth.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Dharn55
Why move the fronts to the rear, the OEM fronts and rears are the same.
Cause it's free The rears are mostly fill anyhow.

Thanks for the recommendations tho, i will take them under consideration. How do you tell what a "true" sub is in the 5.25 sizes. Most offerings seem to be midrange speakers/2-way's. do you just go based off of indicated frequency response?

Edit: What about wiring? use the stock wires or cut the old harness out and use new stuff

Last edited by DeAd-EyE; 01-31-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
As to the fronts and rears, what I am saying is that the speakers are the same, so moving the fronts to the rears is pointless. I know as I replaced both the fronts and the rears, 100KP's in the front and a set of Focal Coaxial for the rears (you are correct, they are in fill, although with a better speaker they do sound alot better).

As for the subs, you need to look at the range of the speakers. When I first did my subs I used a set of 5.25 Focals that had been stripped from of a set of 130KPs. They were OK, but the bottom range of the 130KP mids is only 70Hz. The 13KP goes down to 50Hz and the 13WS goes down to 38Hz, and they top out much lower than the 130KP mid. The 5WS I used go to 45Hz, but they are no longer made, you might find a pair if you look hard enough. The other thing is the 5WS was designed specifically for a small bass enclosure, I am not sure about the 13 WS and 13KP. In any case, small subs don't work as well as a larger sub, so you do make a compomise with the 5.25" size. The 6.5" will work, just takes some mods,

Remember the power of a search.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM
^ believe me, i'd rather search than bug, but the threads have gotten old and scattered so pulling info is harder than it was at the peak of the 996 "i hate stock audio" phase that was 2005/2006

I think 6speed could support an "Audio" section. I mean..it should at least be as popular as the cigar section

did you get your focal's from rod birch as well?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
No, Rod is known to be great, but retail pricing. I found all my parts on the internet or Ebay. Try woofersetc.com or other on-line sources. You should note that Focal disavows all such sources (no-authorized dealers) but there are lots of them out there. Ebay has some 100CA's for $109 and 100KP's for $359 right now. There are not many 100 (i.e. 4") on ebay as this is not a common size. More 130 (5.25" and 165 (6.5"). The 5.25" subs are even rarer on Ebay, but if you watch they will come on now and then.

Good luck, let me know if I can be of help.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
edit: dude..that site is super happytime explosion.

did you round out your system with a real sub? if i may ask, what kind of music do you listen to? i do pretty much zero hiphop/r&b listening and am mostly rock and electronic music.

did you feel the system lacking without a 8-10" bigger sub that people often run in cars?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Option A
Front Components: Focal Access 100 CA1 - 4" Mid with Tweeters
Doors: Focal Polyglass 165 CVX 6.5"
Rear Components: Move the stock front components to the rear for fill
Amp: Alpine PDX 4.150
Run each speaker on its own channel and drive the rears off the deck.
Never heard either speakers sets but focal are well respected. I decided on the MB Quart 210 components front and enjoy the SQ along with the Alpine 4.100 with just one 8" Sub in rear which is a must and not breaking the bank. The rear spks are deck powered which is fine, but with just 4 channel amp I ended up with extra channel not being used . Since you are using 4 (minus rear fill spks) and maybe a sub off amp (highly recommended) I would be looking at a 5-6 channel amp to allow expansion if the sound is not to your liking.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Mother; 02-01-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Why not get the 165V3E system which is a 6.5", 4" and 1" 3 way system instead of a 2 way system and seperate door speaker...if you go with the 3 way, you get a 3 way crossover, if not you need to either buy a 3 way crossover or run a crossover or coil to get just lows to the 6.5 in the door. I would go with Rod at Car Audio Innovations...he BEATS list prices, and he wil back it up with warranties...all those places that sell "bootleg" focals will not....If you have an issue, Rod will cross ship you new parts so you are not waiting weeks for someone to replace components....I pay extra for service like that...plus he will walk you through installs and give advice...If you have a problem, he will give you good tech support....again, others will not...so why not support a guy doing good business and offering great prices and great support. Plus he told me when the new Audison amp came out and was the only place that had it in stock, and shipped me one, with a wiring kit, cheaper than everyone elses prices...he gives great advice based on his experience in what will sound good in Porsches....so one call to him will answer ALOT of your questions.

Last edited by newport996; 02-01-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
^ i sent rod an email 2days ago, but he's probably busy..i'll probably call him towards the end of the week. we just got 30cms of snow...so the 996 isn't cruising anywhere lol.

the focal 165 3-way kit is starting to look better and better. might as well do it once and do it right, right?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Yep, I am using the focals as well... the component 100KP's up front with the 13WS in the doors and a custom sub box with two JL Audio 8" subs. Running everything through two Arc Audio amps (4150 and 1500) which is overkill but I already had the amps. For a head unit I am using the Pioneer Avic-D3. Very nice sound but it does show how bad my Porsche could use some dynamat on it! I also recommend Rod since he has helped me with the install and his prices when dealing direct with him are very reasonable. I agree with Newport in that paying a little extra for superior customer service is worth it!

David