996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

04-05 C4S vs 06-07 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Boxzing is infamous around these parts
Of course I'm impartial to C4S', the Cayman just don't get any love...at least from me. And as mentioned previously, they look goofy.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 PM
SCIronMike is infamous around these parts
Can't go wrong with either........ but I am VERY partial to the C4S.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nicolasmora
That is what I meant a Cayman S.
Went lurking to a couple of dealerships today, looking at new and used.
There is definetely an appeal to the Cayman S. So now the next step is to drive it. I also found a 2003 C4S with 24k miles the price was not bad and had a couple of options. Had a wing which looks like the GT2 wing, but im not sure if it was a factory option. Also had an exhaust with the 2 oval tips which the sales man said was a Porsche option. Other than that it looked stock. Gray interior, supple leather. Definetly something to look at a bit more. Im coming back on the weekend to test drive it.
Thats all for now.
Thanks guys!
(i did see that post for that white Cayman S, the car looks great, allthough it is so modded that im not sure if it was a show car, or just flat out driven hard. That car is local I have seen it in person and it does look AMAZING!)
i'd take that cayman over a stock c4s as well, but what's stopping one from modding the c4s?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
911 C4s

The 996-C4S hands down! You can't be the looks or performance. A 911 will always be a 911, but the Cayman will never be a 911.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 AM
HIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud of
911 just like lionel richie...ALL NIGHT LONG

Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 AM
eitanshay is infamous around these parts
I would say that they are both different cars, and with different usages.
imho, a 911 is more usable in a day to day, due to extra seats in the back, (it is our DD and only car ... and its superb!), the C4s will add superior/more predictable handling in wet/snowing conditions (assuming it'll wear the right rubber), but overall, it is really hard to compare AWD to RWD.

some would say (and i'll be among them) that RWD is more enjoyable,
some would rather have a AWD, and enjoy different kind of fun, different kind of driving.

in the end of the day, as most of us said... drive them both, decide what you real needs are... and than decide.
i dont think you can go wrong in either.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
bullitt44 is infamous around these partsbullitt44 is infamous around these parts
I love the Cayman, but if I found the right C4S I don't think that I could not pull the trigger.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I really like the looks of the Cayman. And, you usually are better off with a newer car. But, isn't the Cayman/Boxter a much harder platform to modify? Access to the engine is severly restricted.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 AM
nicolasmora is infamous around these parts
So seeing that everyone is leaning towards the C4S, (and so am I) has anyone heard about a nice one? I saw a thread on the forum about a silver and black car that looked amazing but seemed a bit expensive. Anyone?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Cayman S by far. C4S has always felt too "safe" and heavy to me. If your going to do C4S go get a Turbo.

Cayman offers a much more "purer" driving experience than a C4s. C4S is damn sexy from the rear but I would not own one unless I lived in the North and drove it as a second or third car.(I would still need a RWD Porsche!)

A non AWD 911 vs. a Cayman would be a much tougher decision for me. Just my .02 : )

Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
We can split hairs all day about what drives better, looks better, etc but here's where you can't split hairs.

Heritage counts when buying a sports car. Sure, the Cayman is ultimately designed/made by Porsche, but do you guys know they actually farm out the work?

The 911 is a 911 is a 911. There's no way I'd get a Cayman S over a 911. You'll always look at the 911 and long for it and the 911 fraternity is the one and only 40+ year old "club". If Cayman S, I'd totally consider other cars in the same price range and talk about getting killed in resale for such an "awesome", "pure" new Porsche. Why? Because it's not nearly as desireable as a 911. Porsche is not the Cayenne. Porsche is not the Boxster. Porsche, to me and to many many others, is the 911.

As for the Turbo deal, some people don't like lag and the 996TT is laggy. Great car, but laggy. I can't stand lag.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 02-14-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM
^^^ farm out the work???

What the hell are you talking about???

I can appreciate the heritage and I do. It comes down to driving both. Porsche dosent build bad cars they build different cars.

As far as farming out work get your facts straight. Assembly and design are 2 different things. Not all of them are built in Finland.(if thats what you are talking about) If your concerned about cars not being assembled in germany I would be concerned with where many of your aftemarket parts are assembled. : )

Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Choi is why Porsche marketing is working so hard. That way of thinking is why Porsche had to try different things like the Cayenne and Boxster/Cayman and the Panamera. I know because I had a meeting with the VP of Marketing for PCNA

Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Karrera4
Choi is why Porsche marketing is working so hard. That way of thinking is why Porsche had to try different things like the Cayenne and Boxster/Cayman and the Panamera. I know because I had a meeting with the VP of Marketing for PCNA

Couldnt of said it better myself!!!

Porsche is a total victim of their own success....

Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 AM
PhantomMoneyPit is infamous around these parts
987 Cayman S= Glorified Boxster
996 c4s = Glorified 911

Nuff Said

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04-05 C4S vs 06-07 Cayman S