996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

04-05 C4S vs 06-07 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nicolasmora
Ok boys, enough arguing, this was just a little research thread and trying to get some answers out of the infinite collective wisdom. I think I found a car. its a 2003 C4S CPO with the following options. LEATHER,METROPOL BLUE FLOOR MATS,XENON HEADLAMP PACKAGE,WHEEL CAPS W/COLORED CREST,BOSE HIGH END SOUND PACKAGE,STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST PIPES,INSTRUMENT DIALS PAINTED,MEMORY DRIVER SEAT,REMOTE CD CHANGER,PORSCHE CREST IN HEADREST. It has 27XXX miles, they are asking $55982. What do you guys think? sounds fair?

What has been lingering in my mind today is the depreciation factor. I know that the C4S is not going to take a terrible hit within the next 2 years, mean while the Cayman S is. Im going after work to look at the car I just mentioned. Will keep you guys posted.
Hey Zemdogg, being that you work at a Porsche Dealership, how is your inventory?
Any C4S?

*sorry for all the crap up there*

The price on the one your looking at sounds about right(these really hold their value well!)

Unfortunately I have nothing right now. The only thing I have with a 4 on the back is a 06 C4 Coupe. PM me if interested but thats going to be quite a bit higher than that price range. 23K miles asking $66,991 CPO.

I'll keep my eyes open for a 996 C4S though!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:47 PM
nicolasmora is infamous around these parts
It doesnt necesarily have to be a 4!!! Im going for a C4S based on the look of the car, and obviously the pricing. It could very well be a 997 C2S but i dont think i will find one for the price im looking for.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Eddie has a spectacular aura aboutEddie has a spectacular aura aboutEddie has a spectacular aura about
This thread is funny, the performance on the two cars is not splitting hairs, someone who feels the two cars drive the same is laughable. No need for bench stat racing here, the two cars drive entirely differently.

I'm not bashing C4S owners, I'm just F--ing with Ben. As a fellow Choi, it's in good nature, and Choi's are combative by blood LOL

Most of the responses here have been even keeled, but Ben you are a funny guy man. You preferred getting a 996 c4s over a turbo because of lag? LOL. Riiiight. Keep convincing yourself that. I wonder what kind of LAG you feel when the 100+ extra horses from the turbo that gives you all that LAG doesn't come into play with the C4S.

I love the C4S, it's a beautiful car.

My disposition? As a Cayman S and in a couple months a 911 turbo owner, I love both platforms, and don't understand the apparent defensive nature for owners on both platforms. I still think the c4s has one of the best rear ends in recent day, so trust me I'm a fan of all.

As for the comment that the boxster/cayman is a poor man's porsche, that's funny, I would tend to think buying someone's 3-4 year old used and abused older platform of a car would be a poor man's porsche. So I think either both points are true or both are ignorant. I would agree with the latter. They both are ignorant points.

Regarding the heritage of the 911, every company has a root model that embodies the core of their product offerings, the M1 or even the M3 with BMW, the 911 with Porsche, but that doesn't mean the other offerings that company provides does not "lack" heritage, but actually understand that and learn from it to produce varied concepts of such. Does an M5 serve as a car that lacks heritage because it follows a different design and implementation philosophy as the M1?

It's funny how some people think the cayman platform lacks in "heritage." The 550 spyder, a classic and revered Porsche of yester-year employed a mid engine platform and exhibited great agility. The "heritage" involved in a mid engined-car is unmistakable. cgt anyone? If you are buying a car to be a part of a cool fraternity, you have serious social issues and need to find something better to relate yourself to. LOL.

If we want to be entirely critical of both cars, here are the strong negatives.

BOTH cars lack LSDs.

BOTH cars are platforms with so much more potential. The C4S could be argued as a Turbo without the *****, and Cayman S lacks the breakaway power it could handle.

BOTH chassis' are setup to be able to handle so much more power. What could the C4s be? The turbo that exists. what could the Cayman S be? A mid engined gt3.

Back on topic, regarding depreciation, both cars will continue to depreciate, it's going to be a hit either way. But you are right, a new cayman S takes a big hit.

You can't go wrong either way, best of luck with your purchase. I use the Cayman S as my DD in a busy city with great results, when the turbo comes I will actually use that as a DD and strip out the cayman and race that.

Last edited by Eddie; 02-14-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
Well said!

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
We can split hairs all day about what drives better, looks better, etc but here's where you can't split hairs.

Heritage counts when buying a sports car. Sure, the Cayman is ultimately designed/made by Porsche, but do you guys know they actually farm out the work?

The 911 is a 911 is a 911. There's no way I'd get a Cayman S over a 911. You'll always look at the 911 and long for it and the 911 fraternity is the one and only 40+ year old "club". If Cayman S, I'd totally consider other cars in the same price range and talk about getting killed in resale for such an "awesome", "pure" new Porsche. Why? Because it's not nearly as desireable as a 911. Porsche is not the Cayenne. Porsche is not the Boxster. Porsche, to me and to many many others, is the 911.

As for the Turbo deal, some people don't like lag and the 996TT is laggy. Great car, but laggy. I can't stand lag.
Well said! When people think Porsche------they think 911. Totally agree with your statement!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Eddie
This thread is funny, the performance on the two cars is not splitting hairs, someone who feels the two cars drive the same is laughable. No need for bench stat racing here, the two cars drive entirely differently.

I'm not bashing C4S owners, I'm just F--ing with Ben. As a fellow Choi, it's in good nature, and Choi's are combative by blood LOL

Most of the responses here have been even keeled, but Ben you are a funny guy man. You preferred getting a 996 c4s over a turbo because of lag? LOL. Riiiight. Keep convincing yourself that. I wonder what kind of LAG you feel when the 100+ extra horses from the turbo that gives you all that LAG doesn't come into play with the C4S.

I love the C4S, it's a beautiful car.

What's up, Eddie Choi? Why hide that beautiful last name? Quit being a pu$$y.

-My C4S was bought off of a 6speed member here and I was not swayed by a 911 until I saw this example with the full CF OEM interior, color sport backed seats, PSS9s, etc. Else, I would've continued to be very happy in my mint, BBS LMed, TC Klined, perfectly setup E46 M3 that's newer with 2 years of full factory warranty left.

-911s vary a great deal in options. You can get an '01-2 Turbo with the typical substandard 996 interior or you could get a C4S with an awesome interior that befits the 911 name and the exterior looks. I chose the latter and being an n/a guy (S2000, M3) it makes complete sense why I'd choose the POS nonGT1 engine over the laggy Turbo engine. Proof is in the pudding. For the $68K I spent in one month on my nicely optioned, insanely hot Pork4S, I could've gotten a nice 911 Turbo XYmodel year that's relatively stock. Nevertheless, the only turbo lag i can enjoy is the 997TT which I got a chance to flog around. Fantastic and could never get the 996 TT after having driven it. Enjoy your 996TT. We're obviously defending our own cars, future purchases here. It's a complete d!ck measuring contest now. If I wanted it, I'd have it in this case. now what i really want next is an f-car but that's another discussion.

-Again, at the end of the day, both cars are great cars, but we speak in relative terms just like in so many other decisions we make in this thing called life. There's no way in hell I'd recommend someone to pick up a Cayman S over a 996 C4S especially since I made that decision myself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, yes? The 911 is in the pudding. put that on your bathroom mirror.

Peace,
Ben "the better" Choi

P.S. Eddie straight up going from a Cayman to a 911 trying to tell a dude to get a Cayman LOLLOLOLOLOL

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 02-14-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
55K seems like a lot. I looked at a 02 C4S....12K miles. Perfect condtion. It was my dad financial advisors. I got the Cayman which was more money actually. The C4S trade in value he got was 48. It sold for 52K. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
Why not a MkI GT3?, thin assed girls go faster... just my $0.02

Old 02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
vick57 is infamous around these parts
..... I think I found a car. its a 2003 C4S CPO with the following options. LEATHER,METROPOL BLUE FLOOR MATS,XENON HEADLAMP PACKAGE,WHEEL CAPS W/COLORED CREST,BOSE HIGH END SOUND PACKAGE,STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST PIPES,INSTRUMENT DIALS PAINTED,MEMORY DRIVER SEAT,REMOTE CD CHANGER,PORSCHE CREST IN HEADREST. It has 27XXX miles, they are asking $55982. What do you guys think? sounds fair? .....
that's the very top end price for C4S right now. kelly blue book says $56K dealer retail. however, this past december i came across a 2004 C4S w/52K miles for $42K w/o warranty at a toyota dealership in dallas. you should be able to bargain some.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Ok boys, enough arguing, this was just a little research thread and trying to get some answers out of the infinite collective wisdom. I think I found a car. its a 2003 C4S CPO with the following options. LEATHER,METROPOL BLUE FLOOR MATS,XENON HEADLAMP PACKAGE,WHEEL CAPS W/COLORED CREST,BOSE HIGH END SOUND PACKAGE,STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST PIPES,INSTRUMENT DIALS PAINTED,MEMORY DRIVER SEAT,REMOTE CD CHANGER,PORSCHE CREST IN HEADREST. It has 27XXX miles, they are asking $55982. What do you guys think? sounds fair?

What has been lingering in my mind today is the depreciation factor. I know that the C4S is not going to take a terrible hit within the next 2 years, mean while the Cayman S is. Im going after work to look at the car I just mentioned. Will keep you guys posted.
Hey Zemdogg, being that you work at a Porsche Dealership, how is your inventory?
Any C4S?
Sounds a bit expensive. I'd ask for $50k even and see what they say. I bought mine about a year ago. It's an 02 (no CPO) and had the same mileage but was on coilovers with Champion rims (see sig). They were asking 55k but I got it for 50k. Good luck, obviously I love the 911--but I would never discount the Cayman. Mid-engine is so attractive--F430? someday!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I think you can easily find a low miles, clean C4s for under $50K.....I know I did!

Like I said earlier, they are both great cars. I just wish they would givr the Cayman a few more HP, but it handles amazingly.

Check out this video of a Cayman eating a few 911's in the corners:

http://www.youtube.com/jonasd99

Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Honestly... If you dont get the 911... when ever you will be in your Cayman and when you will see a 911 on the road you will be like "Oh Man i should have bought one of those" And if your in a 911 and you see a Cayman on teh road you will be like "meh, mines better"...

Thats why i made sure i got a 911 and not a M3...

Old 02-14-2008, 05:19 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
i have to agree with that (not a sleight against Cayman drivers out there). There is something about driving something with iconic value though (IMHO)

Originally Posted by Zookie
Honestly... If you dont get the 911... when ever you will be in your Cayman and when you will see a 911 on the road you will be like "Oh Man i should have bought one of those" And if your in a 911 and you see a Cayman on teh road you will be like "meh, mines better"...

Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
nicolasmora is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zookie

That is exactly my thought, has been in the past and not about to do it again. I would hate to be driving my new Cayman S and be lusting every single 911.
Actually an M3 was what I had before my Cayenne.
I went this afternoon to check on that car I mentioned earlier and it was sold.
So I guess it was not the car for me. Found another one on the internet which im going to call for tomorrow. It is black, has the techart headlight covers that I personally do not like, BUT has a a set of Techart wheels that make it look fantastic.

I am convinced that I want a 911 period. The quest goes on!
Thanks guys! Will keep you posted!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
^^^ Your Wellcome :P

PS: Get the 911 and then get a Cayman... now that would be the best of both worlds... lolz

Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
nanya is infamous around these parts
Never drove a Cayman S, but thought this was funny.
I suck at driving and need every advantage I can get. Maybe when I get better at this I can go for a mid engined RWD car.

[quote=bumble996;1310138]From TMZ...checkout the guys face when the girls say it looks like it's a girls car...

http://www.tmz.com/2007/08/30/real-life-mean-girls/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04-05 C4S vs 06-07 Cayman S