996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

04-05 C4S vs 06-07 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Cool

buahahaha i saw that a while back

when i am in my "Car" i get looks from girls all the time... but its not the car, its just me :P

Old 02-14-2008, 09:51 PM
paulycw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nicolasmora
That is exactly my thought, has been in the past and not about to do it again. I would hate to be driving my new Cayman S and be lusting every single 911.
Actually an M3 was what I had before my Cayenne.
I went this afternoon to check on that car I mentioned earlier and it was sold.
So I guess it was not the car for me. Found another one on the internet which im going to call for tomorrow. It is black, has the techart headlight covers that I personally do not like, BUT has a a set of Techart wheels that make it look fantastic.

I am convinced that I want a 911 period. The quest goes on!
Thanks guys! Will keep you posted!
And when you get your C4S and a guy in a Turbo pulls up, ur gonna have the same thought!

Lag or no lag, I'd look at a 996TT. My .02

Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by paulycw
And when you get your C4S and a guy in a Turbo pulls up, ur gonna have the same thought!

Lag or no lag, I'd look at a 996TT. My .02
lol hahah thats is also VERY TRUE!!!

Look into a 996TT before you buy a C4S

Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Then when the guy in the turbo sees a GT2 or RUF RTurbo.... j/k! It really doesn't end with that line of thinking. Get what makes you happy so that your eyes don't roam too far.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
if you are that in need of a "P.E." then sure, that is what you will be thinking

Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 AM
nicolasmora is infamous around these parts
hahahaha, the vicious cycle begins! Well it is partially true, I do love turbos. I guess like almost everyone on the forum, but I also know my finances and what I can and cannot spend. The turbo will come, some day, so will the GT3 and the GT3 RS and the F Cars.
But for now, I think the C4S is perfect. Besides the wife to be is very excited about it. She is all for it. So better do it while I can and not have to deal with the nag...! Right?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I think 996TT's are Just as Afordable as a 996 C4S... so you shoudl really try and get a 996TT

Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
nicolasmora is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zookie
I think 996TT's are Just as Afordable as a 996 C4S... so you shoudl really try and get a 996TT
No actually they are not if you stick with the same year.
For example a 2002 with average mileage, will be around $55 which is the average price for a 2004 C4S.
You are talking about a 2 year difference and probably 15k-20k miles more.
As a fact I saw a 01 Turbo yesterday for which they were asking $58k, had a few options, aftermarket wheels, something like 12k miles if im not wrong.
But to me its just a bit too old.

If I were to look for a 2004 Turbo, you cannot get anything lower than $70k, and that is out of my league for now.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
you can probably get an 02 turbo for around $65.... but bt the C4S and CS i go for the C4S.... that thing is just too damn good looking

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM
ts97783 is infamous around these parts
I happened to stumble across this thread whilst looking for something else.

I usually just read these forums picking up useful information about my car, I have never felt the need to post my opinion - let alone on a thread that appears to be stale.

I know this thread started as a Cayman S vs C4S topic, but to see some of the negative posts against the Cayman S really wound me up. One particular member seems extremely vocal and arrogant in his opinions. It would appear that this member and perhaps others would prefer Porsche to only produce the 911.

It is these opinions that stifle Porsche’s progression. We all know with the right development the Cayman will eat the 911 (in any variant).

I do not wish to play-down the 911, it is what built Porsche. But to think you drive a pure Porsche because it is a 911 is extremely narrow minded.

I was in the same position as the OP about six months ago;

Should I buy a 996 (02/03), a used Cayman S (06/07) or a new Cayman.

I drove three 996's (two C2'a and a C4), one Cayman and one Cayman S. I opted for the Cayman S. The 996’s I drove were heavy with an out of date interior. The Cayman S felt more responsive and lighter.

I have never felt inferior when seeing a 996 on the road. If anything, I see them as old technology. Sure they may leave me at the lights, but your missing the point if you think that is what matters.

Maybe I’m just trying to justify my decision to you all, who really wants to hear their car put down??

I will say this though. The more our opinions vary, the more variation Porsche will offer us. What would happen if Porsche just made the 911? I am pro choice. I don’t think a “one trick pony” would last long in the competitive automotive industry. Porsche know this, so should you.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:04 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ts97783
I happened to stumble across this thread whilst looking for something else.

I usually just read these forums picking up useful information about my car, I have never felt the need to post my opinion - let alone on a thread that appears to be stale.

I know this thread started as a Cayman S vs C4S topic, but to see some of the negative posts against the Cayman S really wound me up. One particular member seems extremely vocal and arrogant in his opinions. It would appear that this member and perhaps others would prefer Porsche to only produce the 911.

It is these opinions that stifle Porsche’s progression. We all know with the right development the Cayman will eat the 911 (in any variant).

I do not wish to play-down the 911, it is what built Porsche. But to think you drive a pure Porsche because it is a 911 is extremely narrow minded.

I was in the same position as the OP about six months ago;

Should I buy a 996 (02/03), a used Cayman S (06/07) or a new Cayman.

I drove three 996's (two C2'a and a C4), one Cayman and one Cayman S. I opted for the Cayman S. The 996’s I drove were heavy with an out of date interior. The Cayman S felt more responsive and lighter.

I have never felt inferior when seeing a 996 on the road. If anything, I see them as old technology. Sure they may leave me at the lights, but your missing the point if you think that is what matters.

Maybe I’m just trying to justify my decision to you all, who really wants to hear their car put down??

I will say this though. The more our opinions vary, the more variation Porsche will offer us. What would happen if Porsche just made the 911? I am pro choice. I don’t think a “one trick pony” would last long in the competitive automotive industry. Porsche know this, so should you.
Agreed--the Cayman is a great car, the mid-engine is ideal (see F360 and 430) and it looks pretty spiffy. I would love to own one, but it's just not practical enough for me. It's too bad the marketing machine is so ingrained in Porsche culture--we'll probably never see a Cayman TT.
The only Porsche that's not a real Porsche is the Cayenne (but it's also the most profitable). As long as Porsche can keep pumping out great sports cars (regardless of engine layout) we'll be the winners.

p.s. I feel inferior when I pull up next to a turbo, or a 997, or a Ferrari, or a Lambo, or an Aston, sometimes Bentley's and one time, a Saleen.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
GCB
GCB is infamous around these parts
"As for the comment that the boxster/cayman is a poor man's porsche, that's funny, I would tend to think buying someone's 3-4 year old used and abused older platform of a car would be a poor man's porsche. So I think either both points are true or both are ignorant. I would agree with the latter. They both are ignorant points."

THAT WAS A GREAT COMMENT!!!