996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

True cost of ownership.... reality check! ; )

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Liv2Drive is infamous around these parts
Joel- I feel for ya man, I guess the optimistic approach is to look at it as "earning your wings" so to speak in the pcar arena. Regardless, the times your driving it and enjoying the hell out of it will make the repair days become a distant memory. You buy a Porsche for the experience, because you want it- not for the economy (JMHO).

I do hope you can get on with enjoying your beautiful new pcar- and welcome to the 6! As you can see we're a bunch of crazy *****'s who love our pcars. Best forum on the net and a LOT of knowledge here.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Gcookie is infamous around these parts
Who said P-Car are reliable?

After picking up my 02 an RMS leak(3rd one). Ext Warranty picked it up. Still ended up paying $1200 for an Annual and Clutch Pack. Having owned P-Cars before was hoping this experience would be better as far as maintenance and reliability. I looked at my cars history file and it was 1" thick with only 30,000. When the warranty goes not sure what to do?

I think there is a illusion that Germany cars are reliable, but I haven't had a rice burner doing 130mph on the bank at Texas World Speedway and the guy sitting next to me, yelling to go faster and not to brake until we get closer to the turn.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
and liv2drive... your bumper rocks!

joel

Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Joel- Thanks man, it was a real project installing / painting etc and I love it.
Here's a (sort of) better pic:

Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Some thoughts on mods to get you started once you're ready- Paint the center console, add a few CF goodies, and install a decent aftermarket NAV.. (did I mention that i'm a bad influence.. heh). Seriously tho- all these ideas, tips and DIY how-to's I got here on the six from other members.

here's the NAV install thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=84794
And center console thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ainted+console

Pic:

Last edited by Liv2Drive; 02-22-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM
bentlink is infamous around these parts
Great thread. Thanks for the info / tips on maintenance.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 AM
johnnyreb2010 is infamous around these parts
Question

Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
NOT a typo. 5,200 miles to date. Good thing I bought the Porsche battery maintainer.
whats the sense in havin a 996 if your not gonna drive it, it damn sure is not gonna be a collectable, your losing around $10,000 a year in depreciation & your not even enjoying the car! sell it to somebody that will appreciate it for whats it made for.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Hey Joel welcome to the money pit club.

The reality is that almost all "high end" vehicles will cost you $$$, all warranties have strict rules about oil changes, filters, A+B inspections etc, etc. which of course have to be performed by the dealer at ridicules hourly prices!

Even after spending the mandatory $1000 to $3000 a year there will still be things that are not covered under warranty, lets not even talk about doing performance mods... that will void your warranty faster than melting ice cream!

That said, you live once so enjoy your car, it's like you said at a certain point you've got yourself a well oiled machine that will require only the minimal maintenance $.

BTW, next time you've got something like cats or mufflers that need replacing check out this blog first 'cause you could have gotten 200 cell cats instead of the stock ones (for the same or less $) and made your ride sound a lot better.

Cheers,

Sid.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Grant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of light
I got my car with 29K miles its a 03 carrera with all the bells and whistles from Beverly Hills Porsche and i have an extended warranty with CNA national, The warranty has already paid for itself, and the great thing is that if i take it to the dealer i pay 0, if i take to my own place its 100, cant beat that if u ask me.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:34 AM
Grant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CoreyNJ
You guys just don't get it...

You buy a new porsche that no one but you has ever driven if you want it for a daily driver, when the warranty is over, it becomes a weekend car and you buy another new porsche for your daily. This is how I have done it since the late 80's (back in the days of 2 year factory warranties) and prevented any unplanned super expensive days. Too many "leased" used cars were beat on and not taken care of in the market to risk a used one for a daily driver.

+1 i concur

Old 12-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Plexiform is infamous around these parts
no one needs a porsche for a daily driver. get a tricked out 930...you'll pay through the teeth for service but it will make you smile every single time the turbo kicks you in the butt!

Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, resurrection post! I found a very inexpensive indy. Love him. I may marry him at one point!
Between him and Suncoast Motorsports, I'm able to survive!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 PM
MiamiC70 is infamous around these parts
Who and where is the indy in Miami you found?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
Joel I know how you feel. Lucky for me I havent had any major costs yet on the car. My girl gets mad all the time I bought the car. But, like I told her, I have been dreaming of owning one of these since I was ****ting in my diapers. So she has to understand. Women want their purses and clothes and we just want our cars. If they were to add up what they spend in a year n clothes and cosmetics they would have been able to buy a Porsche also lol. So its all fair in the end. As for the cost of labor there is nothing you can do. Thats part of owning these cars. But, the love for the cars is worth every cent you have to dump into them!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM
jacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the rough
I recently bought a garage queen 2002 with 20k miles.. It's my only car and I add up a lot of miles on little trips to the store, friends, beach, etc... Hell, my office is only 3 miles away! So I was thinking about buying a scooter for all the little trips. Save milage and wear and tear on my girl!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: True cost of ownership.... reality check! ; )