996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need to replace my factory cats...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Need to replace my factory cats...

I have a 2002 911 and I have to replace my factory cats...

now, what are my options?

replace them with factory Porsche items? No issues with CEL

replace them with AWE?

replace them with fabspeed?

pro and cons? any other manufacturer that I'm leaving out?

Why fabspeed says "Porsche factory warranty" on their website?

I don't want to deal with CEL, so whatever I end getting have to have a pretty much 100% of no CELs or else.

I wouldn't mind a little deeper sound than stock.

BTW, What is drone?

thanks,

joel

Old 02-18-2008, 06:47 PM
porshaw is infamous around these parts
I think in CA, state law mandates the factory to replace bad cats under warranty for 8 years 80,000. Check if Florida has similar law? Biggest Pro of course being free.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Hi JoelPirela, You have a PM!
Tim

Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 PM
daytrader is infamous around these parts
Joel,

Federal laws is on your side. Save some bucks and go back to Porsche dealer and have them replace both free of charge.

I did mine not too long ago. $0 cost, dealer will charge back to Porsche of N. America.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 PM
orangec2 is infamous around these parts
How can you tell your cats are bad?
I have a 2000 and 73,000, getting close to the 8 year - 80k mile limit.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:48 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
I just had mine replaced for free at Champion. Cats have a state law 8 year 80,000 mil emissions warrantee. Just save 3k

Old 02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by orangec2
How can you tell your cats are bad?
I have a 2000 and 73,000, getting close to the 8 year - 80k mile limit.
Mine were knocking. Sounded like a bad lifter.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:22 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
"Cats have a state law 8 year 80,000"

See the "80,000" part? guess what, I'm at 84,000. My ****ing luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Joel,

Go to the dealer and tell them you have a bad cat. Don't say nothing else and see how the dealer responses. If they tell you that the 80K and you are out of luck. Don't replace it with OEM. They are very expensive. Get yourself an aftermarket one like Fabspeed, AWE or other brands with 200 cels (no CEL issue). Brand new is in the 1,100 or less. Or get a used one. Also, check with salvage co. and 6speed members.

Don't look at it as so much negative, here is your chance to upgrade your exhaust syst. with better sound & little more HP. GL!!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 AM
The dealer was the one that told me I had bad cats. Actually, the car is at the shop right now...
I had a CEL code P2098 code that came back as bad cat.
I don't think I will replace them with OEM if I have to pay. Even that I got some awesome pricing of $850 each cat. I rather go the Fabspeed 200 cels for around $1300 and change... I'm not mad, it's just that when it rains it pours!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 AM
porshaw is infamous around these parts
Try putting up a wanted ad in 6speed. I would bet some 6speeders have a set of cats lying around and will hook you up.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Joel,

That's the good attitude that I like. Like porshaw recommended, put a WTB on 6speed & Rennlist.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:25 PM
I just want to be driving my car. They really give you these POS loaners (Dodge Avenger) so you come back loving your car even more than before!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
i am sure Porsche Performance shops have Used OEM Cat Pipes laying around.. try contacing them...

Old 02-19-2008, 04:36 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
look on ebay also for a used one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need to replace my factory cats...