996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Looking for some direct replacement speakers.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
Looking for some direct replacement speakers.

The stereo in my 996 is terrible. I looked at the current speakers, their location and it is very limited. What have other members done to their stereos? I dont care for subwoofers in this car, I will just run high output mids (hopefully JL). Please help.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
focals are what everyone uses.

4" mids and 1" tweeters for the components and anywhere from 5" KS13 subs, to 6" or so (with modifications) for the doors. the stock doors are 5.25" (if you even have the doors).

you can go with other brands, but be aware that mounting depth is an issue as well. nothing much deeper than stock will work.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 AM
ben choi or newport should probably be along shortly with more useful advice.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 PM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
Whats the max depth for the dash speakers and rears? I have no door speakers This is terrible.................

Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM
can't tell you off the top of my head. but i think its like 3"-3.5" max?
good news is that since you hae fewer speakers to power you don't need as costly an amp as you would if you had the two doors as well.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Frög is infamous around these parts
what amp should i get if i upgrade all the speakers and the door subs?

Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PacMan Z
Whats the max depth for the dash speakers and rears? I have no door speakers This is terrible.................
I have Alpine SPS-1029S in my dash, and they have a drop-in depth of 1-13/16", and they fit fine. Before you put them in, I would put some tape around the magnets. As I recall, when I put them in , there was a bit of a rattle from the magnets touching the metal below it. Tape solved that. I don't know if these exact speakers are still available, but I would look for speakers that are very efficient. Mine are 90db/w (the higher the #, the more efficient). In the rear, any 4" speaker will fit as the depth there is very significant. Go to www.crutchfield.com for a good selection of 4" speakers.

BTW, despite what anyone tells you, replacing your speakers will make a HUGE difference for very little money, even if you don't upgrade your amp. Replace the speakers and then see if you want to do anything else.

Also, you'll need to cut up your old speaker frames and use them as mounting brackets for your replacement speakers. The standard mounting holes on aftermarket speakers don't match upwith Porsche speaker mounting holes.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I used Focal 100KP components in the dash), use the old speaker frame to secure the new mids (4.25"), silicone to hold the tweeters, takes a little work with a dremel tool to cut out the old mids. Do a search and you will find alot of info (here, rennlist and renntech). I think I had to do a little work for the tweeters. I used Focal 100CA, a coaxial in the rear, they are just basically in fill for the sound. I had door speakers and used Focal 5WS, but they are no longer available, now use Focal 13KS, these are both 5.25" subs, and require very little work to fit, just dremel out some reinforcing ribs in the enclosures, but if you don't have the door speakers (which are part of the HiFi option) then that is a problem. Some people have used a 6" speaker in the doors but that will take more work on the enclosures.

Without the doors you won't get decent base unless you do an enclosure behind the seats in a Cab or in the rear in a coupe. Oggie is right, you will get much better sound with just a speaker upgrade, this is what I did first. Later I added a 6 channel amp (JL Audio E6450) which also made a big difference, Still using the stock head unit (CDR220). No matter what amp or head unit yu get, if you still have the stock speakers the result will be bad, so do the speaker first.