996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

cruise control defect, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
cruise control defect, anyone else?

I bought a 996 and the cruise control doesn't work. When i press the ON button, the light don't even come on so my problem is probably not the clutch switch. The light does work though because it lights up when i turn the key to ON.

anyone else ever had that problem? I guess it is the electronic somewhere but where should i start looking? It is a turbo by the way but pretty sure it is the same thing on a regular 996.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
you know that you have to push the stalk to set the speed right?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
yes but when you push the activation button, the green light should at least come on to tell you that the cruise control is active right? Mine doesn't light up.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
if you turn on the CC switch the light should turn on... to let you know that it is ready to be used.

The switch by the clutch sounds faulty, take a look by the clutch peda, under the dash. Make sure the the limit switch is closed. Your CC wont work if the switch is not made.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:57 AM
hmm, what i was told is that if the clutch switch is bad, the green light will come on but you won't be able to set speed.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
OK... we might be talking about 2 diff switches... the clutch switch is the safety switch (you have to depress the clutch to start the car). This is not the switch Im talking about.
There is another switch that senses the clutch is not depressed (it is located on top of the clutch pedal) This switch has to be made (clutch in up position) in order to turn the CC on.
Originally Posted by pumalex
hmm, what i was told is that if the clutch switch is bad, the green light will come on but you won't be able to set speed.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:52 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
The cruise pedal switch may have been pushed in all the way. Simply pull it out all the way towards the floor. Check the brake switch also.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
hmm now you guys are starting to make me wonder.

If anyone feel like it and is not covered in 10 feet of snow like we are here, can anyone make a test for me?

Let say you roll down the highway and you suddenly press the clutch, letting the car go on it's own, If you try to activate the cruise control (not the set speed) will the green light come on?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
even easier than that, when the car is stopped, in neutral, push the cruise control activation button, it should light up. If you press the clutch, will it still light up?

thanks folks, your time is realy appreciated.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pumalex
even easier than that, when the car is stopped, in neutral, push the cruise control activation button, it should light up. If you press the clutch, will it still light up?

thanks folks, your time is realy appreciated.

Yes, the light should be on at all times once activated.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
what if you try to activate it and your foot is already on the clutch?

that's my problem, mine never comes on.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:10 PM
thats what weve been trying to tell you... look at the damn CC switch up top of the clutch pedal.
That light should always be on. Even if you shut the engine off and turn it back on, that light will be on all the time once activated.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:36 PM
really? wow didn't know that, i'll try that, thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Frög is infamous around these parts
mine wont come on either.. its at the shop right now..