996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My IPD plenum install...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
My IPD plenum install...

Installed my IPD Plenum today. It replaces the stock plenum behind the throttle body. The new plenum is cast aluminium with improved airflow characteristics. You can see from the pictures how the airflow is directed rather than hitting the back of the stock plenum.

Here's my how to incase anyone else does this modification. Got to say thanks to RPM and a the others who put install instructions up, made it alot easier...
1) Remove air box to access throttle body. At first I just tried removing the hose but you really need the space so remove the entire unit. I disconnected the MAF wiring from the MAF and housing. I did not remove the MAF from the airbox.

2) Disconnect the plastic breather vent line (attached to the left side of the stock plenum) by squeezing the ribbed plastic clamp and pulling.
3) Remove the 5x10mm bolts that attach the throttle body to the stock plenum and surround. Once the throttle body is released I wrapped a clean cloth around it for protection and positioned it out of the way on the left hand side.

4) Undo the clamps on the rubber boots fully, you'll need alot of play here. The instructions mention to remove the check valve from the rubber boot on the left but I couldn't get it off so just proceeded carefully with it on. With the clamps undone as much as possible force the boots as far left and right as you can, this will take some muscle...
You'll have to twist and force a little to get the stock plenum out but it does come out eventually.

5) Here comes the tricky bit, getting the new plenum in between those rubber boots. I slid the LHS boot all the way on the LHS manifold (with both clamps) so that it was flush with the manifold and slid the RHS boot as far onto the manifold as I could. Take the RHS clamp off the boot closest to the open end and put it on the plenum side that will attach back at that point. Wiggle in the LHS of the plenum into the LHS boot whislt pushing the RHS against the RHS boot. Removing the clamp earlier allows the boot to compress more so you can force it more. The RHS boot has an internal ridge preventing it from sliding as far onto the intake manifold and if you put your hand inside the plenum and round to the right you can feel it. Use your hand in the plenum to help push the boot into position. You'll see it working, it just takes some force.
6) Once the plenum is situated within the boots position them so they are secure again then tighten the clamps on either side furthest from the plenum. This will allow you to adjust the plenum position once the throttle bosy is re-attached.

(you can see the throttle body wrapped in a blue cloth in this pic)
7) Re-attach the breather vent line onto the spur on the plenum. Make sure the connecting cables to the throttle body go behind this when re-attaching as they did before.
8) Position the throttle body and re-attach with the 10mm bolts. I applied a little Loctite aswell. RSS who supplied the plenum also instructed me to hand thread the bolts through the throttle body and into the plenum before actuall install to check they didn't 'bottom out' before fully tightening. If it does you need to add a washer but mine was ok. There has been issues with stripping the bolts by over tightening. I used a hand screw driver type socket and tightened as much as possible, I think you get a better feel for potential stripping that way.

9) Once everything looks right and the throttle body is at the correct angle to re-attach to the air box then tighten the 2 clamps closest to the plenum on the rubber boots.

10) Re-attach the stock airbox and connect the MAF cable up.
And there you go:

I have no idea about BHP or Torque increase at the moment but will dyno soon. It definetely feels like it 'pulls' better with quicker acceleration. I took her out for a hoon in the sun and had a smile from ear to ear. As a reward for all my tinkering I gave her a good Zymol wash and wax...

Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Flyer007 is infamous around these parts
did you disconnect the battery? I believe you need to do this so the computer adjusts for airflow after driving awhile. Nice writeup and pics btw

Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
Thanks, yup, disconnected battery then took for a 40-50 mile drive after the install, just forgot to write that bit down, thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Hi... Great write up.. It is all about the smiles per hour......
Enjoy,
Tim
PS Did you realign your flux inducer?

Last edited by Staff@RPM; 04-04-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Lerxst is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the write-up Dervish. My plenum is still somewhere between here and NY, but once it arrives I'll be referencing your thread.

Joe

Old 04-05-2008, 01:02 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

+1 on the Thank You!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:48 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
great writeup! this is for an egas car. non-egas would require slightly longer TB bolts.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:53 PM
silversurfer22 is infamous around these parts
Also clean the TB with carb cleaner while you are at.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
nice... thanks for the pics

Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Rush996 is infamous around these parts
Nice write-up..I installed mine yesterday and will hit the dyno tomorrow afternoon. My e-gas needed a TB clean..

Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Lerxst is infamous around these parts
Installed mine yesterday. Wow, that was tough to get the plenum in between the couplers. In the end I used a lubricated putty knife to "shim" back the RHS coupler as I wedged the plenum in, then used a pick to get the coupler over the lip of the plenum.

I installed the FVD Brombacher Intake too. Not impressed with the quality...
- Filter was very tight on the intake tube
- Clamp was not big enough to filter and intake tube
- Coupler between intake tube and TB was not high quality rubber that I was expecting.
- Plate that fits over bottom section of stock air box did not fit perfectly.
- Bolts for the MAS/MAF were too short.
- With the tube positioned to meet properly with the TB, the hood fan housing rubs.

For the money, get the EVOMS over the FVD. IMHO

So after addressing all the issues with the intake, and letting the car learn the new setup, she works like a charm.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
ruey220 is infamous around these parts
are you thinking about getting the RSS throttle body upgrade? I checked it's $300 for the labor work machined, trying to find out if it will help even more.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I did the TB along with the plenum and K&N CAI. The throttle response is a MAJOR improvement. I did all 3 parts at once, so I can't say how much (if any) of the change is due to the TB only. RSS claims the TB improves air flow by 7-8%.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 AM
swift996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mathism
I did the TB along with the plenum and K&N CAI. The throttle response is a MAJOR improvement. I did all 3 parts at once, so I can't say how much (if any) of the change is due to the TB only. RSS claims the TB improves air flow by 7-8%.
How much was the throttle body? I saw it on their site but no price.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
$695 incl a $395 core charge. Ship your old one back and the net cost is $300.

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My IPD plenum install...