996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

DILEMA: Re-spraying the front hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 AM
jkb
jkb is infamous around these parts
DILEMA: Re-spraying the front hood

so i am taking my car to the bodyshop to get MKII skirts painted and installed. i was thinking that while i am there, maybe i should get the front hood repainted? it has quite a number of rock chips on it.

what are your opinions on that? the car is 2003, so its only 5 years old. sure original paint is valuable, but rock chips are not.

what are some major pros vs. cons? would you do it?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I think I will be doing the same on mine. The paint is perfect, no swirls, dents, ect. But it has rock chips that drive me nuts. I tried using a touch up pen and didn't like the results.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
value is determined in a sellling scenario. if you plan on keeping the car then there's no down side to it.

if you plan on selling, the reason for repaints drives the valuation a lot. if it was a wreck then obviously the car is no longer "clean" but if it was for rock chips, that's something any buyer (other than rare collectors) would appreciate and probably not complain about in negotiating price.

BTW: I like George W

Originally Posted by jkb
so i am taking my car to the bodyshop to get MKII skirts painted and installed. i was thinking that while i am there, maybe i should get the front hood repainted? it has quite a number of rock chips on it.

what are your opinions on that? the car is 2003, so its only 5 years old. sure original paint is valuable, but rock chips are not.

what are some major pros vs. cons? would you do it?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
if ur gonna sell it later, no need to repaint it and let buyer decide later.

since youre probly keeping it for a while do what you want. but if you repaint, you'll probly want to spend more money on a clear bra. figure that into your budget.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
total agreement on the clear bra. i had a custom one installed by some exacto knife surgeons and it's worth every penny.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:12 PM
glowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to behold
paint

I believe that if you know your body shop and you know that everything will be prepped, matched, quality spray, etc. You should be fine.

If you have a really good body shop, noone (besides a pro) should be able to tell it was repainted.

I always thought "original paint" was over rated. I think a quality paintjob will have a better resale than an original paint job with chips and such. These arent classic cars or anything (not yet anyway).

On a side note: Whats up with the factory paint! Most 996 Ive seen are "rock chip heaven". Is it the aerodynamics or just ??? My bodyshop guy told me that P-cars have great paintjobs (hard to find flaws) so why all the chips?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
slaaw is infamous around these parts
Ask if they can sand down the original paint on the upper surface and go from there. Also, they should paint the underside up to where the lip ends under the hood, as it eliminates the dreaded paint overlap border.

Most people check for the paint overlap border and some now use Mil gauges to measure the paint depth in order to determine whether the paint's original.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
My other cars have plenty of stone chips. I just don't give a sh*t about them like I do the pcar! Plus I keep my beloved clean all the time so the chips are more noticeable.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I have bad road rash on my front end also. I bought this, but have not done it yet. Someone in the local PCA did a write up on it saying how good it was.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Old 04-11-2008, 08:38 AM
daytrader is infamous around these parts
Last week, I attended All Porsche California Speedway. There were many vendors and one of them is a company that use OEM touch up paint and a special wax that can cover all rock chips and minor scratches. But if you look close to those area there are not completely cover. From a distance of 3 feet or more you can't see it. Bottom line, repaint is still the best option.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
valmeida is infamous around these parts
As long as you take pictures of the hood before they paint it. This way you have proof when you are going to sell it why it was repainted.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:25 PM
99C2 is infamous around these parts
Re-Spray or not to Re-Spray....

Re-Spray:

I look at my hood every time I clean it and ask the very same question. And I always give myself the same answer,"You're just going to get new ones just after the new paint job dummy" - save the money until just before the sale.

Am I crazy, or an I right?

99C2

Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
keep collecting chips until it's an absolute eye soar.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:19 AM
jstgermaine is infamous around these parts
I guess I am of the opposite thinking.

A basic 996 is not a collector car by any stretch. If it bothers you, repaint it.

Now, if you have a early RS sitting in your garage...I wouldn't. Our 996s are utilitarian by design...way more fun than a Camary...but utilitarian none the less.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Steve Germany is infamous around these parts
Try "touch up magic" it does a great job of removing the blob that is associated with paint touch up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DILEMA: Re-spraying the front hood