996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Dummyies Guide to Climate Control Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
RobGar is infamous around these parts
Dummyies Guide to Climate Control Mod

As a beginner modder but avid DIYer I admit I was a bit timid to try this mod out without having complete instructions. There are some GREAT posts out there and those got me 90% of the way there .. it was that last 10% that had me timid. So, for those of you like me ... either too timid to start or just needing that extra reassurance, I've got the install guide for you. I hope you like it.

This is on my 2004 996 C2 Cab...

1) Remove the horseshoe molding around the climate control unit and radio. After a few easy snaps, it'll come right off. Gently pry the connectors off the back and place it to the side. Just use your fingers .. no need for tools. See attachment #1.

2) Unscrew the 2 phillips head screws holding the climate control unit in place. Simply pull out the unit and detach the red and black connectors. See attachment #2.

3) Next, remove the leather trim panels surrounding the bottom console. There are 3 plastic "teeth" holding this baby in. Give it a strong tug towards you (and by towards you it means that you are on your belly in the floorboard) ... then slide it towards the back of the car. It'll reveal attachment #3.

4) Next, remove the carpet panels from each side. This step took a little more muscle, but easily snapped out as well with a good tug. Don't be shy. Again, pull towards you. I think there were 2 "teeth" holding each in place. Once out, well, that's attachment #4.

5) The CD holder and lower tray need to come out. They are not secured by screws. I pushed from behind to get them out .. and almost hit my head on the dash as it lunged out . Again, it took a little force, but quickly shot out. Now you are ready for the "hardest" part .. moving the climate control cable to the bottom console.

6) Peering inside the open space where the climate control used to be, you'll see the red and slightly larger black connectors. They are bundled to the same strand of wires .. they are just spit apart. You'll have to feel your way thru this part. I was able to get the red connector to slip thru the metal "hole" easily ... actually, it's not a hole but a long opening in the metal that isn't too wide. The black (and larger) connector was a PIA, but eventually I got it thru too. A simple maneuvering and I was able to bring the single band of wires down to the driver's side footwell. What sucked most about this step was the sticky residue from the tape keeping hte bundle together. See attachment #5.

7) Once you have those wires down, it becomes painfully obvious your next steps. Route them thru to the lower console and attach to the climate control unit. Screw it in and attach the special trim iece you bought (please tell me you've read up on this and bought this beforehand ). Insert the new tray you bought (right??) and snap it into place.

8) Now it's all about reversing your trim removal steps. How hard can that be? I left my space open where the climate control was because tomorrow I get the new Kenwood DNX-8120 installed. I'm pretty sure I'll be the first to post those pictures of that unit on this forum .

I hope this is helpful to SOMEONE!

Rob

Attached Images      
Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Good post. Thanks for taking the time.

-td

Old 04-21-2008, 02:54 AM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
this is great to see. nice job so far. be sure to post the end product. I guess the Kenwood will fit in the top? any other mods needed? how long did this take you to do? I promised myself that I wouldn't mess around with my C4S as much as I did with my SC, just cause the car is harder to get to. But this is an inspirational job. wonder how much a dealer would charge, and how badly a dealer might f it up?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 AM
This mod took me nearly 30 minutes total. The only tools were my fingers and a screw driver. It was really easy! Now that I've done it, it would take me half that time to do it again.

I'll start a new thread with my DNX8120 install once it's complete .. maybe by Wednesday.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 AM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
What is the purpose of this? How is this a c/c mod?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
The purpose is to create room for a double din head unit. The radio is coming out too. I'm not planning on keeping it an empty hole :-).

Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 AM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
is there a market for the radio thats coming out? does the Kenwood unit only take up one of the bays? so would you have the kenwood on top, climate on the bottom and 2 empty shelves for holding stuff? I'm anxious to see how this will turn out and may need to take a ride back out to meet you in Durham to check it out. continuing good luck...

Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Perhaps I left out my plans for the next step of this process. I was trying to keep that seperate from this climate control move.

Over last 2 days my car has been receiving a total audio upgrade. My factory radio is coming out too, and in it's place is the Kenwood DNX8120. It's a double din until that will occupy the spot where the climate control was, and where the radio is now. The installer told me there was some minor shaping to be done to the hole, but nothing serious. I haven't seen it yet (hopefully today).

Stay tuned for a new thread about this upgrade. BTW: I live in the Charlotte area, not Durham :-).

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the instructions. I'm going to move my controls down and have a Pioneer AVIC Z3 installed. Where do you order the trim piece and cubby box (getting rid of the cassette holders) for the move down. Do you have the part numbers. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
I cannot immedaitely locate teh part nubmer for the larger cubby, but just ask a dealer shop .. they know.

A/C Panel Trim Piece - 996.552.339.00.01C (used when moving the A/C control to the bottom shelf in teh 996)

Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
porscheaudifam is infamous around these parts
I need this to add the cup holders to the top and move the climate control to the bottom. We added an Eclipse Ipod Controller and CD player and now I can get rid of those stupid cassette tape holders

Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Question: Is the horseshoe piece one piece or multiple pieces. I may need to replace the intermitten wiper adjustor control **** and was wondering if I need to remove the entire horseshoe panel to replace the ****. It doesn't appear that I could just pull the **** straight out without removing something first.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM
centreville21 is infamous around these parts
Avicz3

This is a nice mod to the 996... makes the inside look updated....

Chris

Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
L8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to all
I did this same mod on a Boxster S...but I was putting in cup holders not a radio haha

This isn't that hard, but just take your time and don't rush.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by John in Norcal
Question: Is the horseshoe piece one piece or multiple pieces. I may need to replace the intermitten wiper adjustor control **** and was wondering if I need to remove the entire horseshoe panel to replace the ****. It doesn't appear that I could just pull the **** straight out without removing something first.

It all depends on the year model of your car. On a 2001, it is a multiple piece horseshoe. I think they changed on the 2002s and newer for I had a 2004 996 C4S and it was in one piece only and a piece of cake to remove. The wiper **** is a lot easier to remove than the lighter, let me tell you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dummyies Guide to Climate Control Mod