996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Yet, another Turbo bumper installation success!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Yet, another Turbo bumper installation success!

First of all, Many thanks to TitanNero for the super duper deal on this bumper, that came looking brand new, with factory speed yellow finish and all the grill, vents and even new stuff. One thing that amazed me was that the factory paint from this 2001 Turbo, matched perfectly my 2002 C2. Wow, I saved a buck or two on bodyshop charges!!! .

On to the install...

Not difficult, nor easy... it's tricky. First, remember to have all the grills installed on the bumper prior to the installation.
You don't have to remove the wheels (I didn't) but it will help.
You don't have to remove the whole wheel liner but it will help.
You don't need to saw or cut part of the metal bumper. This is what you need to do: Paint in flat black the last 5" on each side. Now, on the side opening grills (the inside part) there is a plastic bracket that you must remove. If you don't, this will make installation impossible. Just a couple of plastic tabs and you're done. Then, place the bumper in place and screw the top 2 screws and 2 screws on each side (behind the side markers), then, move to the 1 screw on each side, at the bottom of the bumper. (the ones next to the fender) That's it. That's all that will align/match between the C2 bumper and the Turbo bumper.
My next step was to screw the bottom of the underside of the wheel liners (it was supposed to match the one in the bumper, but didn't...

Now, you are faced with 3 main anchor points at the bottom of your bumper that are 4" away from the bolting point.... You can create custom metal brackets with pre-perforated steel bands or even use tie-wraps!!! (I've seen it before!)

Now, if you are getting rid of your C2 bumper, (I was giving mine away but the guy wanted a techart instead... I don't blame him!) this is what you can do and it will look much better/cleaner than the other options.

Take your original C2 bumper and cut a segment of the bottom part of it. It's really easy and it even had a dotted line, like you are supposed to cut thru that!!!
I placed my newly created bracket and attached it to the mounting points in the frame and drilled small holes for the turbo mounting holes. Everything line up perfectly and it looks more cleaner.
Love it!

Well, enough rambling and enjoy the pics.

regards
-joel

Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
Looks great...nice write-up. I would just put a Rennline tow hook (or use the OE tow hook painted yellow) and you'll be all set.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Looks awesome....nice job...I really like that last picture.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the kind words! (hurry up before Benjamin sees it! ;P )

I think I misplaced the little cover for the tow hook. I may buy one and screw it there.

regards,

-joel

Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
im going to say its looks good, BUT you gotta finish the job. NOW you need sideskirts and a rear to match the front. cuz right now, its looks kinda out of place, ya know?!

again IMHO.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 AM
kbliew is infamous around these parts
u'll need side skirts and a wing

Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 AM
swift996 is infamous around these parts
Tow hooks are tacky, skirts would be a nice touch, looks good!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 AM
erubin is infamous around these parts
I have the side skirts and carrera rear wing along with the front turbo bumper. The side skirts make the 996 lines flow nicely from front to back. I have a modified OEM turbo rear bumper that is waiting to be installed as well. IMO the turbo bumper greatly improves the look of the front end. Great Job.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
Does the rear turbo bumper need modification to fit on a NB 996? Great write-up on the front bumper. I was leary about modification to make it fit. Thanks, it looks great!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 AM
daytrader is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Wheelman
Does the rear turbo bumper need modification to fit on a NB 996? Great write-up on the front bumper. I was leary about modification to make it fit. Thanks, it looks great!
Ricky, if you use OEM rear you do need to modify it. There are two ways to do this, you can have the body shop cut the bumper right in the middle and trim down to make it fits the side rear fender. The other way is to cut & trim the side bumper at the fender arch. The second procedure is more better and preferred by most. The reason is that you keep the wide look of the TT rear bumper.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 AM
erubin is infamous around these parts
I had mine trimmed at the wheel wells. The job was done by Raj at Culver City Customs. I can't comment my fit since I havn't installed it yet. I did however see one Raj installed on a 996 NB car when I picked the bumper up. Newport 996 also had this mod done at Culver City Customs.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by swift996
Tow hooks are tacky, skirts would be a nice touch, looks good!
They're recommended for us racers...plus I think they look okay on a 996...cheaper than a cover.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Sky_King is infamous around these parts
TT bumper install

Nice job Joel. I was considering exactly what you've just done. I have a MY01 996 C2. Do you know if this same cover will work on a 2001 model. I checked out TitanNeros web page but didn't see a listing for it. Any help would be appreciated.

Sky_King

Joe
Akron, OH

jhale5@neo.rr.com

Last edited by Sky_King; 04-27-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: insert photo
Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Joe!

This bumper only works with 2002 and up C2 (due to the shape of the lights) TitanNero had the pre-owned OEM bumper as a leftover of a GT2 bumper installation on a 2001 turbo carrera. He was a class act guy during the whole transaction.
joel

Old 04-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Sky_King is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info Joel, once again a very sharp result.

I will keep hunting for the right bumper.

Joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yet, another Turbo bumper installation success!