996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Alternator Died Twice in 6 Months - Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM
MedMan is infamous around these parts
Alternator Died Twice in 6 Months - Need Help

Hey guys. I got the alternator replaced under warranty on my 2003 911 C2 in October of last year.

The car wouldn't start again and the shop I was at said the battery was fine and they thought the alternator was bad.

Could the alternator be bad again after 6 months or do you guys have any other ideas on what might be going on here. The car is out of warranty now but I am going to take it back to Porsche to see if they will stand behind there warranty replacement in October. It is not a daily driver, so I know that puts more strain on the alternator, but 6 months doesn't sound right.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
SoCal996 is infamous around these parts
What about the voltage regulator for the alternator? Not so certain on porsches, but in general, bad voltage regulators can drain voltage from the alternator when the car is off. On some cars, the voltage regulator is built in to the alternator and some (usually older), the regulator is independent from the alternator.

Hey, the alternator was brand new and not a rebuilt right? Assuming you got one from a Porsche dealer.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
I don't believe Porsche will replace it again under warranty. Usually you have to pay for the part to get it replaced. GL

Old 04-30-2008, 08:10 AM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Try to test your alternator by starting your car up, disconnect the negative on the battery, and turn on the a/c, stereo and lights. If your engine is still running, the alternator should still be good. If your car starts to bogg down and shut off = bad alternator.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:36 PM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
I had an alternater go bad out of warranty. It was replaced with a new unit that came with a 2 yr warranty even though my car itself was out of warranty. I think you might be able to get a new one under warranty again since the one that went bad wasn't that old ...

Originally Posted by porschenut911
I don't believe Porsche will replace it again under warranty. Usually you have to pay for the part to get it replaced. GL

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
I had an alternater go bad out of warranty. It was replaced with a new unit that came with a 2 yr warranty even though my car itself was out of warranty. I think you might be able to get a new one under warranty again since the one that went bad wasn't that old ...
Yes, it depends on the dealer and your relationship to them but most of them now won't do that.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 AM
MedMan is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the help guys. The dealer is saying the part has a 2 year warranty. He is skeptical it is the alternator, so I might run the test someone suggested.

I will keep you all updated. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Springgeyser is infamous around these parts
A simple multimeter voltage test will tell you if the alternator is performing its job.

It should be around 14.4v when the car is running.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 AM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
Right, monitor the voltmeter closely. Mine hovers just below or just above 14v. major dip just after the car is started and the auto-air kicks in, but it steadies out right away. I replaced a dead alternator at about 14K. the car had low miles, but was out of warranty time. Porsche said "thanks for calling, but no thanks." I think regular driving helps the situation. good luck.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:22 PM
PTEC is infamous around these parts
If the alternator was bought and installed at a dealer, Porsche parts carry a two year unlimited mileage warranty. So if the alternator is indeed bad again, it will be covered under parts warranty.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Originally Posted by nine9six
Try to test your alternator by starting your car up, disconnect the negative on the battery, and turn on the a/c, stereo and lights. If your engine is still running, the alternator should still be good. If your car starts to bogg down and shut off = bad alternator.
http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm

Warning!
Some people tell you that you can check your alternator by disconnecting it from the battery to see if the alternator can produce enough current to keep the engine running. BAD IDEA! Disconnecting the battery will subject the voltage regulator (and computer and audio equipment...) to significant voltage spikes which may cause an otherwise good alternator to fail. Even if there were no damaging spikes, this test would not indicate whether or not the alternator was good because the engine will easily run with a weak or failing alternator.
Simple Test: If you want to see if your alternator is producing current, turn on your headlights when you're parked and the engine idling with the headlights shining on a wall (at night). Notice how bright they are. Then turn the engine off. The lights should get dimmer when you turn the engine off. If the lights get brighter when you kill the engine, the alternator was not charging sufficiently. When doing this test, the lights should be the only load (turn the stereo, a/c and other accessories off). With a heavy load, an otherwise good alternator may not be able to produce sufficient amounts of current at idle.