996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

H&R Lowering Springs w/ Bilstein Shocks or ROW MO30??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:32 PM
dlr218 is infamous around these parts
H&R Lowering Springs w/ Bilstein Shocks or ROW MO30??

Ok; I have read all the posts regarding how everyone is unhappy with the lowering aspect of the ROW MO30. Thus what is everyones thoughts on going with the H&R Lowering springs, and purchasing the Bilstein Sport Shocks to go along with them. I currently have the regular suspension in my 03 996, and as the rest of you, I am not satisfied with the Cayenne suspension looks. I do not track the car, however I do drive it hard on a daily basis. I am looking for the aesthetics of a lowered look, and for better handling. As I do not track the car, I did not want the expense of the coilover, nor all the allignment I hear it requires on a much needed basis.

Any ideas thoughts or other options would be greatly appreciated. Both Champion Motors, and Bobby at Foreign Affairs just recommends springs with stock shocks, however, I have issues about going that route as well. The only reason I continue to look at the MO30 option, is warranty. Obviously putting factory parts will not void the warranty. Has anyone found out what exactly is in the GT3, or if there is a kit coming out?

Thanks for your time!!!

Regards,

dlr218

Old 08-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
I would say go with coilovers. The labor for M030 or the coilovers will be the same. With the coilovers you will not sacrifice ride quality and eliminate any bodyroll. Once intsalled you should not have to align it again unless you knock it out of alignment.

Old 08-31-2003, 04:49 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
don't know what your car is but i'll be selling the H&R coilovers off my C2 cab (about 5k miles) in a few weeks if you're interested.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:05 PM
ZX7R is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb

Have you considered the X74 Option Kit.

I have purchased such a set for my new 996 as I was in the same mindset when I was looking at suspension options.

1 - I did not want to have the 4WD ride-height / ground clearance
2 - I did not require complex adjustability as I would be mainly utilising the car as a street vehicle rather than a track car.

This kit will lower the rear by 30mm and the front by 40mm

A sump guard may be prudent!

My car is yet to be delivered so I cannot comment on ride/handling etc, but having read many forums/posts etc the X74 setup was considered quite favourable by those who have tried it.

I assume the X74 will stiffen the ride a fair amount, but without being race-car stiff.

Costas

Old 09-01-2003, 09:02 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
H&R springs plus the Bilstein HD or Sport shocks would be a good combo. If you buy the Bilsteins in the US there is a lifetime warranty I understand. You may want to consider changing to 030 sway bars with this setup. Coil overs are another option for max lowering, but as has been said they will require a re-alignment for ride height changes. I could see where that could become a hassle. X74 also sounds like a pretty good option if you want to stay OEM, but you'll need the sump guard with it or any lowered suspension IMO.
FWIW I am very happy with the lowering and performance of my RoW 030.

Old 09-01-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned
bobc4s is infamous around these parts
Gt3 Suspension

The GT3 suspension is expensive, depending on your model it may not work with your wheel hubs/rotors/calipers (new wheel hubs / rotors / calipers can get expensive) The ride will be harsh, as a daily driver I don't think that suspension is practical. I have 2 cars with GT3 suspension in the shop if you would like to come by and look at the difference you are more then welcome. If you want to change your suspension that badly on a streetcar for other then just height reasons. I would put on the U.S. M030 shocks & bars with H&R springs. You can get the MO30 used at a good price on the E-Bay or the Web. If you would like, you can come down / up and drive my car 03 C4S U.S. MO30 with H&R matched springs.

Old 09-01-2003, 12:33 PM
"(new wheel hubs / rotors / calipers can get expensive)"

i've got a 5k miles old set of wheel hubs/rotors/calipers/pads that will likely be for sale in the next couple weeks. (also H&R coilovers).

Old 09-02-2003, 06:50 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
I would do H&R springs and billstien sport shocks if I did it over again - I have the ROW and it handles great but makes the car almost undrivable in NY

Old 09-02-2003, 06:51 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
ben how much for the coilovers bud?

Old 09-02-2003, 07:02 PM
don't know darren, what do you think is fair? 1/2?

Old 09-02-2003, 08:05 PM
DJ
PM me maybe I will take em off your hands when you take em' out - I might be selling the cab but if I don't then we'll do something

Old 09-03-2003, 10:55 AM
drbill is infamous around these parts
Darren, selling the cab! are you nuts, or does practice what you preach sound familiar?

Old 09-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Z-MAN is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ben, lj
don't know darren, what do you think is fair? 1/2?
Do you still have the coilovers? Will they fit an 03 C4S?

TIA!