996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Carbotech & 6speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 AM
CarbotechDanny is infamous around these parts
Carbotech & 6speed

Hello 6speed members,

My name is Danny Puskar and I am from Carbotech Performance Brakes. Carbotech has recently become a sponsor on 6speedonline.com. I have been a member and a fan of this forum for quite a while now, and would love nothing more than to support this forum when possible.

Also, there isn't a brake pad or brake shoe that Carbotech can't make. We can build any and all brake pads with your choice of our compounds that you need for your application.

If you’re not familiar with Carbotech then here is some information that separates us from everybody else. If you want more information then please visit our website at www.ctbrakes.com

Carbotech Performance Brakes™ began 15 years ago. In the beginning we thought like everybody else and made brake compounds out of carbon & iron. The problem with carbon & iron is that when it heats up it forms carbide. Carbide is used in cutting tools, so imagine what that does to your rotors. Along with the fact that those compounds tear up rotors, they also produce very corrosive brake dust. While our competition stills uses carbon & iron as the main ingredients in their compounds, Carbotech™ started an entire new philosophy over seven years ago.

Carbotech Performance Brakes™, a world leader in Ceramic friction materials™. It was over seven years ago that Carbotech™ started building brake pads out of Ceramic, Kevlar, and Carbon for street, autocross and racing applications. Carbotech™ is the only brake pad manufacturer in the world with a complete line of Ceramic compounds for street, autocross, and track use.

Carbotech-Ceramic™ compounds are known for their unsurpassed release & modulation, while maintaining very consistent torque control characteristics. Carbotech™brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust, that’s something that has been unmatched by any other brake pad in the industry.

Our competitor’s brake pads perform like an “on/off” switch. Brake pads that perform like an "on/off" switch are upsetting the balance of the car by violently throwing all that weight forward (not to mention that you don't get any modulation with an "on/off" type of brake pad). You don't realize how much it upsets your car until you have tried Carbotech™ brake pads.

Carbotech™ has a seven year head start on the competition when it comes to our great philosophy on modulation & release, rotor friendliness, non-corrosive dust, and an unmatched consistent bite/torque control.

Carbotech™ uses advanced friction technology to perfect all of our compounds for the street & track. Research & Development (R&D) is not just a company philosophy; it’s a way of life at Carbotech. We strive in constantly improving our existing compounds as new technologies and materials come to market.

Carbotech Performance Brakes™ allows drivers to Go Deep™ into the corners and out brake the competition. Carbotech™ has won multiple pro races, national championships, and rally races all over the world. Our high performance street compound is our 1521™. The next in our lineup is our Autocross compound, AX6™.

Our race compounds start with the letters "XP™" then they are followed by a number. The first number is 8 (XP8™, then XP10, XP12, and XP16), and as you go up in numbers the initial bite gets much stronger, higher fade resistance, higher torque, and an increase in the temperature range. On that same note, as you go up in our compound numbers you will get slightly faster wear rate on the pads and a little more aggressive on the rotors. That being said, even our more rotor aggressive compounds are still much more rotor friendly then our competitions compounds.

For more information please visit our website at ctbrakes.com or give us a call at 877-899-5024.

Thank You for your time,

Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Welcome aboard.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you Mother! Please let me know if you ever have any questions.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Flyer007 is infamous around these parts
Welcome aboard!

What differences would I get between your street pads and your autocross pads?

What rotors do you recommend with the above pads?

Thanks,

Old 05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey Flyer007,

Our autocross compound (AX6) will give you A LOT more bite when cold and when hot. We do have many customers using the AX6 on the street and for autocross.

When cold, the AX6 will not eat up your rotors (or when hot) so you don't have to worry about that. The brake dust is 100% NON-Corrosive.

The downside to AX6 is they will make some noise, especially when you apply light pedal pressure when cold. AX6 will produce about the same amount of dust as the OEM pads, but since it's 100% non-corrosive the dust rinses right off without much effort.

As far as the rotors go, I would recommend DBA, Stop-Tech (not made in China), or Powerbrake (South Africa). Those are some of the best rotors on the market for the money. Brembo rotors actually made in Italy are a good choice as well, but I would buy from one of the three companies I mentioned first before Brembo.

Last edited by CarbotechDanny; 05-12-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Last Car is infamous around these parts
Welcome aboard,
One question: You keep saying that your pads are "non-corrosive", and I'm guessing that is in reference to hurting the parts around them? What I'm looking for is a "dustless" type of pad; I don't track my Pcar and it's not a daily driver so I don't really need an aggressive pad, just one that doesn't turn my wheels black after a short time.
Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Last Car,

When I say "non-corrosive" I mean our brake dust will not eat the paint on your wheels like so many brake pads do. With most brake pads they contain corrosive brake dust, and if you leave it on your wheels too long it will start to eat the paint and embed itself into your wheels.

Some of our competitors brake dust from their track compounds will turn to extremely hard deposits that are almost concrete like when they get wet.

Our 1521 compound is what you want for your car. It won't turn your wheels black after a short time, and the dust will wash right off. Not to mention that you will get better performance from our 1521 vs. OEM.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Irksome is infamous around these parts
What amount of discount are you offering to 6speeders?

Also, are your products sold anywhere besides your site?

Old 05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
I switched from Pagid Oranges to Carbotech XP8s, and the Carbotech's are much more rotor friendly. But, as a warning to those keeping them on during street use, once that pad material wears off the rotors during street use, the XP8s start to howl!

Also, I found the difference in friction between cold and hot temperatures to be less with the XP8s, than with the Pagid Oranges. So, they keep working when cold...

Last edited by itacud; 05-13-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Does anyone here have experience with their 1521s vs. AX6?

Old 05-13-2008, 03:43 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Irksome
Does anyone here have experience with their 1521s vs. AX6?
I use AX6's also, on a very different car - an Audi allroad. (Much heavier, but not driven very aggressively on track.) The AX6's are fantastic on that 4200 lb car in aggressive street use.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by itacud
I use AX6's also, on a very different car - an Audi allroad. (Much heavier, but not driven very aggressively on track.) The AX6's are fantastic on that 4200 lb car in aggressive street use.
How's the noise on them?

I autocross 12-14 times per year, but put 15k miles of daily driving on the car each year. I'd love the performance, but worry about noise and wear...

Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Pretty quiet with the AX6's on the allroad. But, it really depends on how aggressively you brake during ordinary use... If you don't keep a good layer of pad material on the rotors, they start to squeak and chirp again. A lot of very light braking, or a lot of use at low temps will scrub them clean. For example, using XP8s on a different car - an Infiniti's stock Brembo system - yields much less noise than using XP8s on the 911. This must be due to the different weight distribution and the inferior brake cooling of the G35. A lot of Lotus Elise guys are starting to use AX6's and XP8s, and those are very light weight cars.

I'm guessing you'd really like the AX6s, if getting on the brakes often enough to keep the system bedded. The performance is very good, and the rotor wear very low.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 PM
I definitely get on the brakes even in my daily driving, though of course the drives are short and may not heat them up a ton. But knowing about that issue, and the method of resolution (bedding), that sounds pretty manageable.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Last Car is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CarbotechDanny
Last Car,

When I say "non-corrosive" I mean our brake dust will not eat the paint on your wheels like so many brake pads do. With most brake pads they contain corrosive brake dust, and if you leave it on your wheels too long it will start to eat the paint and embed itself into your wheels.

Some of our competitors brake dust from their track compounds will turn to extremely hard deposits that are almost concrete like when they get wet.

Our 1521 compound is what you want for your car. It won't turn your wheels black after a short time, and the dust will wash right off. Not to mention that you will get better performance from our 1521 vs. OEM.
Hi again,
I understand the part about your 'dust' not hurting the wheels (I never let any brake dust stay on my wheels (or dirt for that matter) very long....what I'm asking is "does your pads cause 'much' dust while it is doing its job? I have use Mintex on my Corvettes, BMWs, and even my Land Rover and have almost NO dust from the pads.
Again, the question is.....are your pads 'dust free' or just like OEM pads in dealing with brake dust?
Thanks for your time,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbotech & 6speed