996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

short shifters? schnell vs b&m

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
ask for Jay, tell him you're a 6speedonline member (610) 886-1000, he wil take good care of you

Old 05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911Joel
Actually OEM is B&M just rebranded, so its not better. Schnell is not a Chinese knock off.
There are plenty of Chinese knock offs though. From what I have heard they are exact copies of the B&M.
The only thing european about the schnell is the name, it is most definately chinese, trust me, pure junk.
BM used to make the ssk for porsche, true, but they are colored differently with different stampings. The bushings are different as well. They will yield a warranty issue, if there are any 996 cars still on warranty.
The oem ssk runs about 125 dollars more. You gotta decide if it's worth it to you.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 05-20-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Oakeguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yu996tt
anybody have experience with these shifters and which one is best..
thanks
Went with the B&m on my 99 996. I set it at the shortest throw at first, but It keep popping out of first gear. after reseting it to the next step up, I have no problems.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
win911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud of
I had my Schnell for over 3 years...no problem with it. B&M in my friends. In fact, if you try it out and I tell you it's a B&M...you could not tell the difference.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
B&m.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:21 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Schnell = Knockoff Vertex garbage

Old 05-24-2008, 06:51 AM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
Oakeguy... HOW IN THE WORLD do you set it up "for the next step"??? I can't see or read in the instructions anywhere where the throw length is adjustable!!! I have it sitting rigt in front of me uninstalled, in a carrier...

Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Malakas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by perryinva
Oakeguy... HOW IN THE WORLD do you set it up "for the next step"??? I can't see or read in the instructions anywhere where the throw length is adjustable!!! I have it sitting rigt in front of me uninstalled, in a carrier...
+1 on that question -- its adjustable?!?!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I see what he means. "It kept popping out of first gear" means he had shortened the cable to linkage length too much, so the shift lever was still applying pressure on the shift cable by hitting the cage housing before 1st gear is fully seated. By lengthening the link (simply lift the close slotted cable rod end and move it down a slot or 2) he allowed there to be no or less pressure from the shift lever. The only thing that is adjustable on the B&M is where the shift lever angle is relative to the neutral position. It is essential to get the blue, left hand connection correct as that indexes the correct location. The right hand gray one, is the throw. Too short and the forward gears (1,3,5) may pop out because the shift lever hits interference before the gear is fully engaged. Too long, and the same applies to 2,4,6. The relative effort is determined by the angle of the cable relative to a tangent to the arc that the lower end of the shift lever prescribes. It appears you can only rob Peter to pay Paul, ie: making the neutral to 1st easier makes neutral to 2nd harder. If in neutral the right hand link is directly below the pivot of the shift lever, then both directions are equal. This appears to be the default if you install the B&M with the cbales insertedin the same positions as the stock shifter. (Soley based on my one shift exchange experience). Of note, I installed the Evoms billet link with the B&M (bought the whole assembly including the cage, used from Joe, and he had already set it up for his GT3(?) and it seems fine so far for mine) and while I don't think that there is any weakness in the original link, it IS looser on the pivot, and wieghs a lot less, so the extra mass and tightness help the shift. The OEM link head is rubber formed over the plastic ball socket so there is probably some noise and vibration isolation that is reduced. I haven't had the B&M through all its paces to be sure yet. It is a much more solid mechanical & noisy shift, and the gates/gears can be easily felt. It is dramatically less civilized feeling than the stock, and I suspect that is what people here are calling notchy. I don't think the effort of the shift is anything to speak of at all, EXCEPT if you are comparing it to the effortless, vague shifting of the stock arrangement. I honestly think B&M went too far in shortening the shift, based on SSK's I've used on other cars. So far I like it, and have no problem with shifts in any gear even when cold (65F) but I am intrigued by the tranny link option that I've read about on other posts. I've never heard about that kind of option before.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I install the B&M precision Track Shifter. This SSK is adjustable. Only thing is if you want to reuse the factory shift ****. You need to reuse the Factory shifter and only install the part that goes on the transmission. http://www.automotion.com/productpag...cid=21&sid=302

Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Malakas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Oakeguy
I install the B&M precision Track Shifter. This SSK is adjustable.
Did you install this yourself? How do you like it?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Malakas
Did you install this yourself? How do you like it?
Yes did the install myself. Very simple and straight forward. Took me about 1 hr. for the install. I love this shifter. And everyone who drove my 996 always makes it a point to let me know how much they like the SSK. I keep the factory shifter in the car and just install the transmission part. That is the only part you need to make the SSK work. The nice blue shifter part is just for looks ( makeup). after putting back on the shift boot, you are not going to see it anyways.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by Malakas
Did you install this yourself? How do you like
it?

Here is a link for a DIY B&M SSK install, Hope it helps
http://www.turbo911.com

Then hit the " how to" tab, and select the "Boxster and 996 Short Shift install B&M"

Last edited by Oakeguy; 05-28-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Nice link, but it's really just a rehash of the B&M standard SSK installation. Shows nothing of the tranny conversion and the automotion link states that you must use the taller shift lever with the tranny conversion...did you skip that and just use the stock? Any pics?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Nice link, but it's really just a rehash of the B&M standard SSK installation. Shows nothing of the tranny conversion and the automotion link states that you must use the taller shift lever with the tranny conversion...did you skip that and just use the stock? Any pics?
Yes I used the stock shift lever.The one that came with the kit was very tall and I wanted the stock shift ****. My car is at the shop for a 996 facelift. I'll post pictures when I get the car back in 2 weeks.