996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 PM
mountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to behold
Sorry Ben, but again I am going with function over fashion.
Tubi is the only way to go! PSE adds weight to the car, something like 40lbs. Why add when the Tubi sounds great and reduces it.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 PM
cdaniels is infamous around these parts
PSE add 40 lbs? say it isn't so.......

Originally Posted by mountainC4
Sorry Ben, but again I am going with function over fashion.
Tubi is the only way to go! PSE adds weight to the car, something like 40lbs. Why add when the Tubi sounds great and reduces it.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nine9six
I'm getting an Aasco flywheel put on next week. I will let you know how it feels. But from my past experience with lightweight flywheel, it made a nice difference.
The lightweight flywheel mite tend to stall the motor. If yours does so then I would install a flash that would help that. Tim

Old 05-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ChrisEDH
Would love to go the SC route...but seems like big $$$.... the TPC set up is $10K and installation has to be at least $3K, then since I have the engine out might as well go light weight flywheel, etc., etc,... becomes a $15-20K project....
Hi, The motor stays in with the VF S/C kit.. BTW try to get a ride in a S/C car before you spend any money.....You will most likely just go that route... Tim

Old 05-26-2008, 10:00 AM
ChrisEDH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
Hi, The motor stays in with the VF S/C kit.. BTW try to get a ride in a S/C car before you spend any money.....You will most likely just go that route... Tim
Thanks - I am pretty capable backyard mechanic, could I do the VF SC upgrade myself? What is the difference between TPC and VF SCs?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 AM
T.Marc Jones is infamous around these parts
Just bought a 1999 996 and looking for advice on best bang for the buck performance upgrades (suspension, exhaust, short shift, pedals, easy weight reduction, air intake, computer mods, etc., etc.). Also, in the market for any gently used performance parts....

Thanks,
Chris
if you haven't do so already, i would recommend driving instruction as well. the best bang for the performance buck is always driver instruction/seat time.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 AM
ChrisEDH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by T.Marc Jones
if you haven't do so already, i would recommend driving instruction as well. the best bang for the performance buck is always driver instruction/seat time.
T.Marc thanks, as a matter of fact, I was in one of your ThunderHill HPDE classes last summer, had my 1986 black 911, my instructors were Eric (Sat) and Niki (Sun). You instructed two friends of mine, Ty (silver 996TT) and Craig (blue Z06). Craig and I are attending the 6/8 HPDE at Thunderhill, and another late August. Car will be stock at the upcoming event, hope to have PSS9 installed by August.

Hope to see you there.

Chris

Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 PM
mfletch is infamous around these parts
Hi Chris, I'm local and I have done about every N/A mod that you can do to a 99 996. If you want to take it for a spin sometime, let me know. Mark

Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
MO996 is infamous around these parts
Can you give an opinion on the GIAC flash? I have similar engine mods. Z Tec headers, cat bypass and mufflers, K&N CAI, RSS Plenum. Did the flash give much increase? Did you add it after the other mods? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by MO996
Can you give an opinion on the GIAC flash? I have similar engine mods. Z Tec headers, cat bypass and mufflers, K&N CAI, RSS Plenum. Did the flash give much increase? Did you add it after the other mods? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi.....The flash was next to last for me... It help out the stalling quite a bit!! then add the plenum... The car feels great and is a great joy to drive, My TT has over 700 RWHP and sees less seat time. The C2 handles like a go kart! Tim

Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned
Thanks - I am pretty capable backyard mechanic, could I do the VF SC upgrade myself? What is the difference between TPC and VF SCs?

Thanks,
Chris
Hi...If you have a lift you can try it!! The ECU flash may have to be done at VF eng. or an GIAC dealer via mail.... Tim
PS. It uses vortec v3 blower that has own oil system!!! less plumbing.........

Last edited by Staff@RPM; 05-27-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
mfletch is infamous around these parts
MO996, this is the second 99 996 that I have rebuilt from salvage. The GIAC flash was already on the car when I transferred the other engine mods to this car (prior to making the car driveable). My previous car had all the engine mods without the flash...but it was a tiptronic. My current 996 is a 6-speed, which is faster than the tiptronic car. I can't honestly tell you if the GIAC flash contributed to this 996 being faster than my previous 996.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
MO996 is infamous around these parts
Tim, Mark,

Thanks for your input. I would like to get a unit that could be programmed for the mods already on the car. I think I have seen some that offered that capability and want to check all options before investing.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
the speedart exhaust doesn't sound right.... sounds cheap and one dimensional... if you compare side by side you'll kick yourself for buying speedart...

the PSE is the best sounding exhaust out there... and with cats and headers you magnify this sound a lot more and its intoxicating.... PSE voted the best... case closed.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 PM
cWade is infamous around these parts
A lot of people say the PSE is the best. So, where's the best place to get it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 performance upgrades