996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
You can try suncoast porsche... it ain't cheap but sounds awesome... I got my exhaust from EBAY... you can search there from time to time... and if it isn't loud enough for you (which I highly doubt) just add some sport cats and lookkout!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Flyer007 is infamous around these parts
MO996: Check into the Softronic flash. There has been a lot of good reports on that one. There was also a deal with getting the Durametric Diagnostic software with the flash.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
MO996 is infamous around these parts
Flyer007,

Thanks will check it out.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:35 AM
1 PGH 1 is infamous around these parts
Softronic website is www.softronic.us/
Scott there is great to work with. Just ordered for my '02 996 Targa, should be here soon

Old 05-28-2008, 05:52 PM
auto-xr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ChrisEDH
Just bought a 1999 996 and looking for advice on best bang for the buck performance upgrades (suspension, exhaust, short shift, pedals, easy weight reduction, air intake, computer mods, etc., etc.). Also, in the market for any gently used performance parts....

Thanks,
Chris
You're not going to get much performance from the bolt on mods but you will still get a little. You can maximize your gains by lightening up your car. You have a head start since the 99 996 c2 is the lightest of the 996s (depends on your factory options).

I'd start with gettting some lightweight wheels (around 18LBS front and 20LBS rear for 18"....17" are even lighter. This is your call). Also try to stay away from spacers since they're 2LBS each (15mm). Next, get some good tires to go with the new wheels. PS2s are pretty light in comparison to other tires of the same size.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 AM
edic4s is infamous around these parts
I second the s/c route. If I don't sell my 3.8l 996 c4s which has fvd headers, fabspeed exhaust, evo intake, fvd custom tune, then the supercharger will be installed this winter!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 AM
T.Marc Jones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ChrisEDH
T.Marc thanks, as a matter of fact, I was in one of your ThunderHill HPDE classes last summer, had my 1986 black 911, my instructors were Eric (Sat) and Niki (Sun). You instructed two friends of mine, Ty (silver 996TT) and Craig (blue Z06). Craig and I are attending the 6/8 HPDE at Thunderhill, and another late August. Car will be stock at the upcoming event, hope to have PSS9 installed by August.

Hope to see you there.

Chris

hey Chris, that is great to hear, I remember Ty and Craig -- Craig progressed very well throughout the weekend.

I am instructing at both events and if you are a group 1 student, you can request me (they ususally give me the Porsche drivers anyway).

if you are group 2 or another advanced group i can still provide instruction to you, but my primary responsibility will be my assigned group 1 student.

just come over to the Instructors' Compound at any point during the weekend and we can talk/discuss anything you like.

cheers!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mountainC4
Sorry Ben, but again I am going with function over fashion.
Tubi is the only way to go! PSE adds weight to the car, something like 40lbs. Why add when the Tubi sounds great and reduces it.
#1 priority on an exhaust is sound, not power, especially on an NA car. There is no other exhaust that sounds like the PSE. All other aftermarket exhausts vary in levels of noise, not so much in character... PSE is in another world.

Else, y'all are splittin' hairs on your transportation vehicle... it is NOT a race car.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 AM
graffix000 is infamous around these parts
How much are we looking cost wise to get the PSE from the dealer?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM
ChrisEDH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by T.Marc Jones
hey Chris, that is great to hear, I remember Ty and Craig -- Craig progressed very well throughout the weekend.

I am instructing at both events and if you are a group 1 student, you can request me (they ususally give me the Porsche drivers anyway).

if you are group 2 or another advanced group i can still provide instruction to you, but my primary responsibility will be my assigned group 1 student.

just come over to the Instructors' Compound at any point during the weekend and we can talk/discuss anything you like.

cheers!
Thanks - will do, Group 1 is full, and I was bumped up to Group 2 last time, so I registered in 2, but with the new car will need all the advice I can get!

See you next weekend.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:37 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
There are as many different opinions on exhaust as there are members on this board. Virtually all aftermarket exhausts (no PSE) make some amount of power. Therefore, your choice should be entirely based on your personal preference for sound (both quality and level) and expense.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Cybernaut12 is infamous around these parts
#1 Upgrade

Based on the questionableness of the 996 IMS bearing, before you do anything you may want to think about doing an LN Engineering IMS Retrofit. Anything else you do may go up in smoke with the rest of your engine if your IMS goes boom. Good luck on your Porsche and congrats!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
cWade is infamous around these parts
this is an old thread, anyway mine made it to 86k miles with no issue. I have since traded it.
The IMS issue is real but it seems to affect approximately 10% of the cars. If I were in Vegas and offered a 90% chance of winning I might just be tempted.
just saying'

:-)

Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cWade
this is an old thread, anyway mine made it to 86k miles with no issue. I have since traded it.
The IMS issue is real but it seems to affect approximately 10% of the cars. If I were in Vegas and offered a 90% chance of winning I might just be tempted.
just saying'

:-)
Breathe of fresh air! Wow it feels good to hear it from someone else.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Just remove your muffler and add tips to save lots of weight, but it is a bit loud. No complaints from anyone on mine yet....99 C2. H & R springs are great with 1.25 inch drop. Light forged rims, EVO intake, and plenum/flash. Most HP gains from the plenum, but drives much better with spings and weight reduction. The 99-2000 Carreras do not have IMS issues..... "Far less than 1%" They were not included in the class action lawsuit because they had very few IMS issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 performance upgrades