996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Muffler Bypass pipes installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM
swift996 is infamous around these parts
Yeah I've found a lot of ideas, they have pressure controlled (via vacuum line), rpm controlled, programmable electronic control, and manually controlled. I think I'm going to try the Apexi ones out, they are a manual lever. I'm just trying to keep it simple. Problem is they are about $300 for a set of two. A lot of money for something so simple, but I think it will be a happy medium for me. I just ran out to grab lunch with someone and trying to talk made me realize how damn loud they are. I don't mind cruising by myself, but I think that having manual control over a valve would be ideal.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Hang tight fellas- I think the set of pipes i'm testing may fit the bill. Should be picking up pcar from $tealer today and rescheduling dyno time / video time later this week. I can't wait to post up some vid and share this!!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Hang tight fellas- I think the set of pipes i'm testing may fit the bill. Should be picking up pcar from $tealer today and rescheduling dyno time / video time later this week. I can't wait to post up some vid and share this!!
Spill the beans!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Very curious

Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Can someone tell me what these are and how they work, I'm referring to the slip fits. The piece that bots to the flange. Or do they make flanges that weld out to a pipe?

Old 06-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
I'm pretty sure it's a Y pipe to run a muffler and a straight pipe. One side would go to your muffler and when you want the straight pipe you flip the switch or however it works and you will change over to straight pipes. I would love if that would work on our pcar. You would have to use like a dual tip exaust run one from the muffler and one from the straight pipe but i dont know if there is room to do so anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah I understand the Y pipe, I was asking about the spacer things bolted to the flange. I talked to my buddy with the race shop he told me to order some up and he is going to weld them onto the bypass pipes.

Yeah I like the dual tip idea but you would probably have to get some type of crazy bends going.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Well if u weld them to your bypass pipes where are you going to run the other outlet to? if you close the one the other is going to open right? how much did you find that y pipe for?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
No, I wouldn't go with a Y-pipe, something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXHAU...spagenameZWDVW

Weld it to the bypass pipe and weld a little pipe section which can clamp over the stock pipe coming from the cat. This will put it after any O2 sensor, eliminating the worry of a CEL.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:43 PM
So i dont know if im getting this but are u gonna run the muffler bypass pipes like normal just with the valves in exhaust run? Would u use the valve to choke the pipe down a little?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I'm confused also....

What are you going to divert with the valve?

They are not really muffler "Bypass" pipes, they are muffler "Delete" pipes.

You have no mufflers to reroute the exhaust to to make it quieter.

Last edited by Brando; 06-02-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by HxCforlife
So i dont know if im getting this but are u gonna run the muffler bypass pipes like normal just with the valves in exhaust run? Would u use the valve to choke the pipe down a little?

Yes, basically the valve would sit in the piping out to the tip and I'd close it at different angles to gain a result. I'll have to play with it but I'm thinking I'm going to want a very quiet setting for warm ups in the driveway, cruising late at night in the neighborhood, and passing cops. Probably a little closed for city driving or on the phone, and then just wide open the rest of the time.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Yeah they are really muffler delete pipes, for some reason most people call them bypass pipes. I was looking under the car and I think with a custom tip (dual) you would be able to route a Y-pipe with true bypass, it would be very tight and would have a pretty crazy bend. I wish I fabricated things because it would work and then you could just buy one unit to obtain all this for around $250 a pipe. Oh well, I think what I'm going to do will work out great.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

My car had headers, high flow cats and muffler delete pipes on it when I bought it.

It was good for the first few weeks, but got real old.

Mine was "hurt your head....look at me.....pull me over" loud.

I sold the pipes on ebay.

The AP exhaust I have on now is a little too quiet. Still looking for that happy medium.

Good luck with your experiment.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Maybe you could run like some kind of side pipe there isnt much room back there when the mufflers are in place haha i like how loud my pipes are but i also liked the low end torque of the stock mufflers wish there was a way to have both

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler Bypass pipes installed!