996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Muffler Bypass pipes installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
swift996 is infamous around these parts
Muffler Bypass pipes installed!

Well I had to make a few trips to the auto parts store to get a couple size wrenches that I didn't even need, oh well. It took me about 2 hrs of work. I think now that I know how everything comes off I could do it in about 45 minutes. Anyways the butt dyno says there are gains up top. I love the way it purrs around 4K rpms. Hitting a tunnel, oh so much fun, they are pretty damn loud!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0601081416a.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	70859   Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0601081516.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	70860  
Old 06-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Flyer007 is infamous around these parts
This thread is worthless without video....

Glad you are enjoying her. Any update on the frontend noise?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Flyer007
This thread is worthless without video....
+1

Old 06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Hahahaha....jon, finally, welcome to the dark side.....moooohahahahahahahaha.....

We should hit the tunnels at the same time, probably causing stress cracks in the concrete.....

Berk

Old 06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
daytrader is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by swift996
Well I had to make a few trips to the auto parts store to get a couple size wrenches that I didn't even need, oh well. It took me about 2 hrs of work. I think now that I know how everything comes off I could do it in about 45 minutes. Anyways the butt dyno says there are gains up top. I love the way it purrs around 4K rpms. Hitting a tunnel, oh so much fun, they are pretty damn loud!

Jonathan, glad you decided to experiment with those pipes.

Man, do I have a story to tell you and what I just found out.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah I need a video, I wish I had a camera. I broke my digital camera when I was down in the FLA keys and never got another one. I really need to get a video anyways, I have none and would love some vids of my car making some passes on the highway and hitting some turns.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah I also owned a M3 today, my friend following said it was when we hit this mild turn (but at 85mph a factor) he said the M3 looked like a parachute came off the back while my car rolled into the turn and dipped.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Quite a few turbo owners are drilling a 2" hole directly into the pipe you can see when looking into you tips. I guess this this is like a bypass on the cheap. They say it sounds much better and there are some realistic gains. They did quite a few before and after dynos. I already have a Fabspeed muffler, headers, IPD plenum and EVOMS first intake. Nothing wrong with a little better sound and more TQ and HP. I wonder if this would hurt long end torque, but who needs that on the track you need high RPM HP. What do you think.

Last edited by Ken7258; 06-01-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Anyone know of a solution such as a valve that can either be manually controlled or throttle dependent. I know guys with Mustangs running straight pipes use them. It would be nice to have a simmer down switch.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM
See I wonder if these will fit. There is a flange before the cat, but that might push the cat out where there is no room. Would this have any effect on the O2 sensor?

I can't confirm but it appears that Apexi makes a flange type and a pipe type, every place I've seen has a generic photo. Just wondering if I can implement the pipe one without much hassle. What I was thinking is placing it between the stock pipe with the stock clamp then placing the bypass pipe over the valve pipe and clamping it down. It would be nice if they sold bypass pipes with valves welded in to them.

Last edited by swift996; 06-02-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Jonathan,

This subject had been debated on Rennlist a year ago. Some of the hardcores did some research and experimenting the cutoff but due to the limited space and the exhaust plumbing it was difficult to install. You can do search on the subject on Rennlist.

Over the weekend, I attended a local Porsche event in So. Cal. and met up with a indie with his 00 996 NA that has a syst. product 80% loud as by-pass. All stainless straight pipe from the cat to the end tip with resonator. This syst. eliminated the cat and muffler. Without them the sound is unbearable loud but with the resonator it suppressed the sound to below the by-pass for everyday driving. Don't get me wrong, it's still loud but livable.

Personally, this syst. is much better way to go if you like the by-pass loud but at 20% less than by-pass and it looks really good with SS. Regarding CEL he told me that he doesn't get it without the cats.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I know I could do it if I routed the piping where the mufflers would sit, that would give me room but then I'd need to have something welded up, which isn't a huge deal since a buddy of mine has a race shop. I'd just like to keep it simple. I'm going to do a little more research and see what I can come up with, there has to be a way! haha. My goal is to not modify anything, I basically want to stick the valve between the stock pipe and bypass pipe, hopefully slip the bypass pipe slightly over the valve pipe. Have to see, it seems like that won't work. If I had to cut one of the pipes it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd just like to find a simple solution so other can do the same without a bunch of custom work.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I can fab up a system if I wanted to go no cats, I have emissions but would assume with a valve I might be able to pass it lol. I'll update, I need to crawl under the car and get a better idea of what would be the best design.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Let us know how you can do it. Very interesting idea!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler Bypass pipes installed!