996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

bent wheel = vibration???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Cj_boxster is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive
they should have realized it's not balanced if they put it on a machine....

They wouldnt, if the wheel is bent, the machine will just tell them where to place a weight to get it balance... Unbalanced wheel vibration and bent wheel vibration are different. A bent wheel vibrates because the wheel is out of round and you will feel the egg shaped bent wheel bend when the tire is in contact with the road...For instance... Picture a square block, spinning in the air... it wont wobble, now place that square on the floor and attach it to a bike, now you will notice that square is not a circle lol.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
They should have caught it during the balance. On most balancers, if you look at the rim of the wheel under the hood while it is spinning, you can see that it is bent. Also, it will usually not zero out perfectly after the weights are added the first time.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve Germany
Are you using OEM wheels? I just installed some aftermerket wheels that did not fit tight against the hub center allignment dogs and created a vibration since they were not tightened down centered. My tire guy here in Germany told me that a plastic allignment key was required - he showed me several - attempting to help solve the problem but none fit - he had several around the shop. He ended up using the Porsche tool kit allignment tool to help center the wheel (felgen) and it has helped but he warned me not to drive very fast until we found the correct plastic key.

Does anyone have a source for a 73mm to Porsche plastic wheel allignment key?
What you are looking for is called a hub centric ring. They can be plastic or aluminum. You need to know the outside diameter of the ring. Go back to where you bought the wheels and see if they have them. If not, many customer wheel shops will have them.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mathism
What you are looking for is called a hub centric ring. They can be plastic or aluminum. You need to know the outside diameter of the ring. Go back to where you bought the wheels and see if they have them. If not, many customer wheel shops will have them.
Give Carlos a call over at Wheel Dynamics, he may be able to assist you.

1-310-839-5500

Good Luck,

-Eli

Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
price sounds high to me, i think i paid $175/wheel for paint, install, balance, straighten, plus reinstall tires.

you may want to also check the wheel weights. i was getting vibrations when braking and driving at speeds over 65mph, turns out a few wheel weights fell off

Old 06-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
price sounds high to me, i think i paid $175/wheel for paint, install, balance, straighten, plus reinstall tires.

you may want to also check the wheel weights. i was getting vibrations when braking and driving at speeds over 65mph, turns out a few wheel weights fell off
Normal rate "around here" is $125 + $15 for the tire works (mount balance install) = $140 per each.

-Eli

Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM
bruceinmiami is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
to bring an end to this thread:
1. paid 175 per wheel (repair repaint balance install)
2. wheels not needing repair were just refinished for 70 i think.
3. the shop took the car in for 3 days and called me when it was ready.

WOW is the car smooth now! the wheels look brand new. ran the car up to 130mph and it was great! no more vibration.

place is called supamags in ft. lauderdale in case anybody needs their service.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bruceinmiami
to bring an end to this thread:

I thought it had ended some FOUR months ago.... Where have you been...