996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed Aasco flywheel: my impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
you get it for a "freer" revving tranny/engine. you end up having to rev up a bit more from the get-go since the flywheel is lighter and you have to shift faster since the revs fall faster.
Why would you need to rev up a bit more from the get-go? With my lwfw, my car revs up a lot faster from the get go even from the bottom end.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW - This older thread covered the lwfw issue with an article showing dyno results on a Z06.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...highlight=lwfw

Old 06-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nine9six
Why would you need to rev up a bit more from the get-go? With my lwfw, my car revs up a lot faster from the get go even from the bottom end.
Less mass, less inertia

look fellas, my whole point is, if it adds power, it's hairsplit power. why some of you are so fanatical about every little hp especially on a normally aspirated car astounds me in a strictly sitcom entertainment kind of way.

get the lightweight flywheel if you prefer the changed up engine characteristics. i'd never do it for this because the flat6 is not the most free-revving engine in this world. look to ///M for that or get a 997GT3.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 06-17-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Less mass, less inertia

look fellas, my whole point is, if it adds power, it's hairsplit power. why some of you are so fanatical about every little hp especially on a normally aspirated car astounds me in a strictly sitcom entertainment kind of way.

get the lightweight flywheel if you prefer the changed up engine characteristics. i'd never do it for this because the flat6 is not the most free-revving engine in this world. look to ///M for that or get a 997GT3.
We are not talking about hp gains here as there was no changes to the engine itself to gain any hp. What I am talking about is pure acceleration. I don't know what kind of experience you have had with lwfw but this is my 2nd experience with it and base on my own personal experience (not internet reading), the acceleration is better with the lighter flywheel. And in my opinion, the change is significant.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Banned
then show us evidence of the gains v. common dyno butt remarks so many people make online claiming this and that about the additional hp/power that they feel from perf mods that i believe don't do jack to actually make your car faster.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
then show us evidence of the gains v. common dyno butt remarks so many people make online claiming this and that about the additional hp/power that they feel from perf mods that i believe don't do jack to actually make your car faster.
Do you believe that lighter weight cars will go faster than heavier cars given the same power same gearing?

Lighter weight flywheel is just as common sense as that. The car will have less effort to accelerate due to less rotating mass at the flywheel. In this case, the mass is about 50% less.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned
Hey man, i agree with you 10000000%. i don't mean to rag on your mod, but i'm just saying for the greater community it's a misnomer to do this mod because it's going to make your car faster. it's like debating how your 911 is faster than the chick's 911 because she outweights you by 100lbs.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Ben, I am a pretty skeptical guy myself when it comes to modding a N/A car. Most mods, I don't feel gains if any. For the most part its a placebo effect or a louder car that makes people think it is faster. But for this mod, I don't think my mind is playing tricks on me as I watch my RPM revs up while in first gear and I hit the limiter. I hardly ever hit the rev limiter unless I am not paying attention.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Ewwww.... fat chicks in a 911?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by nine9six
Ben, I am a pretty skeptical guy myself when it comes to modding a N/A car. Most mods, I don't feel gains if any. For the most part its a placebo effect or a louder car that makes people think it is faster. But for this mod, I don't think my mind is playing tricks on me as I watch my RPM revs up while in first gear and I hit the limiter. I hardly ever hit the rev limiter unless I am not paying attention.
Revving up faster and more power to the ground are two very different things, man. Good to hear that you and I are playing in the same sandbox with regard to placebo awareness.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
i'd never do it for this because the flat6 is not the most free-revving engine in this world. look to ///M for that or get a 997GT3.
Ben, you know what kind of engine the 997 GT3 has right?

(hint, the answer is a flat-6)
(another hint, it can also benefit from a LWFW)

Old 06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Revving up faster and more power to the ground are two very different things, man. Good to hear that you and I are playing in the same sandbox with regard to placebo awareness.
Yup, reving up faster = faster acceleration.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)

I notice many of the 996 GT3 owners upgrade to the RS flywheel. I would have gone this route myself but the GT3RS flywheel have 9 bolts.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
nine9six,
glad you're happy with the flywheel..i will be doing it as well when my clutch blows and its time to pull the gearbox and put a new one in.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)

it's a special flat6 and you know this. to compare the M96 to the GT1 based gt3 with all its special high-rev bits that even the turbo engine doesn't have is... like comparing the M3 S54 motor to the one in the 330i.

world's apart.

i've done my research on the lightweight flywheel here in the 911 world. all signs point to --> stick to stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed Aasco flywheel: my impressions