996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed Aasco flywheel: my impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nine9six
Yup, reving up faster = faster acceleration.

race a stock 996, post results

Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
race a stock 996, post results
That wouldnt be a valid comparison due to drivers skills and car's condition.

But I have ran against a buddies E46 m3 where I slightly pulled on him before my flywheel consistantly. We shall run again to see if I can beat him by a bit more.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts

But I have ran against a buddies E46 m3 where I slightly pulled on him before my flywheel consistantly. We shall run again to see if I can beat him by a bit more.

did everyone just ignore the corvette thread posted earlier?
can we have someone who is a race mechanic or a mechanic of anykind jump in here please and put this thread to rest once and for all.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
it's a special flat6 and you know this. to compare the M96 to the GT1 based gt3 with all its special high-rev bits that even the turbo engine doesn't have is... like comparing the M3 S54 motor to the one in the 330i.

world's apart.

i've done my research on the lightweight flywheel here in the 911 world. all signs point to --> stick to stock.
I think his point is that even a GT3 will benefit from a lwfw.

I think the best research to do is to try it first hand, if you dont like it, take it off.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:55 PM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
Ben street drives his car and doesn't track it or have a tolerence for "incomfort" on the street. For this kind of driving the stock flywheel is better for sure

For anyone who drives like a goat bastard or tracks, the flywheel is invaluable for easier heel-toe matching and yes...will show a slighly higher dyno number because you're loosing less power to parasitic rotation. Less rotating mass...less of your 320 stock crack HP are being used to move heavy bits before the power gets to the wheels. it's not "making" more power..it's freeing up power that is currently being wasted.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
it's a special flat6 and you know this. to compare the M96 to the GT1 based gt3 with all its special high-rev bits that even the turbo engine doesn't have is... like comparing the M3 S54 motor to the one in the 330i.

world's apart.

i've done my research on the lightweight flywheel here in the 911 world. all signs point to --> stick to stock.
Ben, the point is even a GT3 will benefit from a light weight flywheel. I don't need to see a video of a LWFW vs a DMFW car to prove it's quicker any more than I need to see a video of an apple falling from a tree to prove gravity.

Both are obvious and well documented

Here's some reading for you

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0407vet...ion/index.html

http://www.se-r.net/engine/light_flywheels.html

Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb

In the "Dietary Horsepower" Vette Magazine article, their dyno results for those two cars show an equiv gain of approx 2.6/2.7% hp and 2.4% and 6.4% torque at the wheels for each car.

They used a Fidanza lwfw made from 6061T6 aluminum with a 1050 steel insert and a SPEC steel-backed pressure plate. It is 60% lighter than OEM Vette, vs. the Aasco flywheel at approx 52% lighter than OEM Porsche.

If one forgets the temp, humidity, and other various test variables, one could roughly extrapolate that a stock 3.6L 996 with base 275-280hp would feel like it had gained approx 5-7hp at rear wheels.

5-7hp should feel like a 75lb diet over the stock 2920lb 996 curb weight.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Ben,
The car drives better WITH the LW Flywheel if you ever drive your car beyond the use of street driving.

Think of the basic part of it without the HP gains. There is a HUGE gain for this part and I would tell anyone that wants to take their car to the track and use a Porsche for what it is made for to get one and you will see the difference.

Ben I do believe you a freeway driver only, and may not ever go to the track, but if you could drive a car back to back at pacific raceways (our local track here in Seattle) turn 2 or 3b you would see what the benefit really is. it may be 15lbs difference (or so) but since this is on the transmission the difference is WAY more than losing 15lbs in wheels and tires.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned

that's at least something. when i said racing, the assumption was straight line monkey racing. not much skill involved here. and i doubt any of you guys seriously track it enough to have any meaningful laptime data over many runs.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Ben street drives his car and doesn't track it or have a tolerence for "incomfort" on the street. For this kind of driving the stock flywheel is better for sure

For anyone who drives like a goat bastard or tracks, the flywheel is invaluable for easier heel-toe matching and yes...will show a slighly higher dyno number because you're loosing less power to parasitic rotation. Less rotating mass...less of your 320 stock crack HP are being used to move heavy bits before the power gets to the wheels. it's not "making" more power..it's freeing up power that is currently being wasted.
i'd love to take a serious stat on total track time miles v. street miles on every 911 on this board. i bet you all those that talk about tracking barely track their cars especially since you see so many ultra low mileage 911s out there in this world.

again, blah blah blah let's post up some videos or something v. all this hairsplit chattsville which is an epidemic online.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
Ben, the point is even a GT3 will benefit from a light weight flywheel. I don't need to see a video of a LWFW vs a DMFW car to prove it's quicker any more than I need to see a video of an apple falling from a tree to prove gravity.

Both are obvious and well documented

Here's some reading for you

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0407vet...ion/index.html

http://www.se-r.net/engine/light_flywheels.html
it's easy to find a lot of info online.

show me some videos. that's all i ask. i'd love to see the real world impact of this mod on power.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Brucem
Ben,
The car drives better WITH the LW Flywheel if you ever drive your car beyond the use of street driving.

Think of the basic part of it without the HP gains. There is a HUGE gain for this part and I would tell anyone that wants to take their car to the track and use a Porsche for what it is made for to get one and you will see the difference.

Ben I do believe you a freeway driver only, and may not ever go to the track, but if you could drive a car back to back at pacific raceways (our local track here in Seattle) turn 2 or 3b you would see what the benefit really is. it may be 15lbs difference (or so) but since this is on the transmission the difference is WAY more than losing 15lbs in wheels and tires.
Huge gain? LOLOLOL

i'm a street 911 driver just like the majority + out there on this board. what's good for the track isn't always good for the street as you fully admit.

for this dude's 911 which i bet is a predominantly street driven 911... a flywheel mod is .... loud and unecessary for the street. on the track... heck, gut the whole damn interior, get rid of AC... when does it stop? it doesn't. it goes way beyond a lightweight flywheel.

i'm not foreign to the lightweight flywheel. i had one on my s2000. a comptech flywheel with an act clutch. i noticed the freer revs, but more power? none. what added power was the comptech supercharger. period. everything else is .. hairsplitting.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Huge gain? LOLOLOL

i'm a street 911 driver just like the majority + out there on this board. what's good for the track isn't always good for the street as you fully admit.

for this dude's 911 which i bet is a predominantly street driven 911... a flywheel mod is .... loud and unecessary for the street. on the track... heck, gut the whole damn interior, get rid of AC... when does it stop? it doesn't. it goes way beyond a lightweight flywheel.

i'm not foreign to the lightweight flywheel. i had one on my s2000. a comptech flywheel with an act clutch. i noticed the freer revs, but more power? none. what added power was the comptech supercharger. period. everything else is .. hairsplitting.
Ben you laugh about things you do not fully understand. I guess if this part made such a "small" or insignificant difference Porsche wouldn't waste their time doing them on any of their cars?

your comparison to taking out the whole interior is so far different (from just installing the flywheel) from a mod that still keeps your car a daily driver and very capable to drive anytime you want (on the street), but gives you a very significant gain of performance driving. A stripped interior on the other hand.....well we could all imagine

If you track your car and do Auto-x at least once per month get the mod, you will love it.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 PM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
come on ben, you know you are just full of envy lugging all that 4wd system around with your big ole hips for no good reason whatsoever.

good for birthing, less good for running

Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Light Weight Flywheel

Ben sounds very knowledgeable on the subject. Here's my 2 cents. I have a lightened flywheel in my SCCA G Production FIAT X1/9 and My Ducati 748s. The FIAT motor revs faster now and the weight removed from the crank can't hurt anything. I removed 10 lbs of mass and the car revs quicker to the redline. Every race car I compete against runs a lightened flywheel, most engine builders (Joe Huffaker, Mini Mania, Prather Racing) to name a few all install light weight flywheels. I know my FIAT is not a 400hp motor, but every little bit helps.

The Ducati 748s also revs to the redine quicker upon excelleration, with far less engine braking when I downshift. I use the FIAT on the track only and the Ducati on both the street and track. I'm very satified with my light weight flywheels. My 996 has the stock dual mass flywheel now, but when it's clutch time I'll definetly be looking at the lighter flywheel setup.

Last edited by Steve's 996; 06-17-2008 at 11:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed Aasco flywheel: my impressions